2023 Gas Gas TXT 300

Butch

First, as Lineaway suggests, verify the magnetic lanyard is on the killswitch on the handlebar

I have owned a 2003 GasGas Pro and currently own a 2015, starting technique is the same for both.

When cold:

Choke on, have the bike on a stand or leaning on a tree, etc., get on the pegs so you are standing on the bike.

Bring the kickstart down until you feel resistance, good smooth forceful kick downward.  Kickstart will hit the footpeg. that is normal.

Should start 1 or 2 kicks, I sometimes give a short blip of throttle AFTER I hear the bike fire.

When hot:

same thing but no choke

After some time and practice you may get to where you can start it flat foot on the ground.  Took me some time to get to that point.

I don't know if it matters much, but I run 110 race gas at 80:1 mix, with a high compression head

• Like 1

Choke on. Put the bike in gear and pull the bike backwards. This movement will put the motor in the perfect spot to start the bike. Pull the clutch in, front brake on hard, 1/8" turn on the throttle and give it a solid kick. If it doesn't start, repeat the process from the start. The bike will start in 1 or 2 kicks.

People will tell you it's harder to start like this because you have it in gear. But my wimpy ass can start my 300 no problem using this technique and without it I'd be kicking for days. If it bothers you then you can put it in neutral before kicking, but it's an unnecessary step and you risk moving the motor out of that sweet perfect spot.

Edit: I've been told in the past this puts the motor in bottom dead center instead of top dead center. I'm not sure if that's the case, I just know it works every time.

Edited by apriljo
  • Like 1

Have the same bike, had trouble starting it but now I have no problems.

Put it in 2nd gear, rock it backwards without the clutch until it won’t go back any more pull in the clutch and kick it.

No choke required hot or cold.  Starts 1st kick for me 95% of the time.  If it doesn’t catch 1st time repeat the rolling back procedure.

fyi I am 63 with a very bad right knee, previous trials bike was a beta that had a left kicker and wanted another one but couldn’t pass up on the gasser because the price.

Edited by mcharchuk
  • Like 1

I had a hard time with mine when I first got it (2012), wanted to trade back to my old bike, also considered a low comp head and going to a Dellorto carb from the Keihin since I had good luck with the Dellorto carb on a previous (non pro engine) gasser.

I did go up 1 size pilot jet, can't recall what size that was.

I don't use any fancy fuel, 90ish octane in Canada, non ethanol if I can, 70ish-1. (Europe/Spanish/Gas Gas calculates octane different than North America)

Choke for cold start like any other 2T, engage kick lever so there is resistance then *FAST SHARP KICK* (engaging kicker prevents damage)(Leaning on something will help) 

Gasser starts first or second kick, cold or warm.

Very happy with the Gasser and glad I didn't mess with the head or replace carb.

Had a chainsaw I could not start on Sunday after I ran out of gas and re fueled, must have flooded (climbing arborist saw PITA to pull the spark plug). First pull Monday it started, so there can be those circumstances after trying too hard as well.

Edited by Glayne

Sorry.  I was following the other thread on this bike and didn't see this one.  My 2023 is difficult to start too.  Spark is fine.  It's just really physically  hard to kick from TDC.  The height of the kicker, angle, and force required combine to make it tough. I'm 220 lbs.  As others have mentioned, finding bottom dead center makes it easier and I'm working on getting that technique down.  Also, propping the bike with left bar end against a tree is helpful.  I own a kickstart only Suzuki DR650 and a Kawi KLX300 that's kick only, and this bike is considerably more challenging than either.  (But I know the techniques for those bikes).  2 stroke-wise, it's more difficult than my old RD400, KDX200, or KX112.  I gotta work on the technique, wear boots, practice, and maybe try the low comp head.

• Like 1

I bought a 2023 GasGas 300 TXT Racing this past April.  The Dealer started it before I took delivery.  The tech stood on a bike stand so he could get a solid downward kick.  He was about your size.  I am 75 (soon to be 76), 6ft tall and weigh 260lbs.  When I got the bike home, I tried to start it flat footed.  Like you, I have been doing bikes all my life.  Aside from my road racing days I did MX on 2 strokes back in the day.  No way could I get this bike started.  I then grabbed my bike stand and stood on it.  After a few kicks, I got it going. For a while I could not ever start it flat footed.  Now, when it is warm, some of the time I can start it flat footed.  My 44 year old son has better luck at it then me.  I am finding that a cold start may be better tried without the choke, give it a fair amount of throttle and kick it. You may need three kicks. There are some folks who talk about a technique involving rolling the bike while in gear backwards till it hits compression.  Then, pull in the clutch and kick it. I have had no luck at all with that approach.  Try using the stand to raise yourself above the bike.  You will get a more powerful downward kick which is what that bike seems to need.  You may find that will work for you.  If stalled in the woods (as I have been), you can lean the handlebar grip against a tree while you stand on the pegs, or even better, find a rock to stand on.  Here in New England, we have lots of rocks.  The tree idea is rough on the rubber grip ends.  I believe the bike will become easier to start as it breaks in.  Just need to be patient.  Don't give up on it.  The bike itself, is fantastic!  Hope this helps!

• Like 1

Forget everything I said in my previous post.  I finally have it figured out.  Thank you AprilJo and others who may have previously suggested this technique.  Cold engine, put choke on, put it in gear, rock it back until up against compression, using no throttle, give it a kick or two.  Rock it back before each kick.   Mine easily started on the second kick.  When warm, repeat the above except do not choke it.  One kick and it just sits there purring like a kitten.  My worn-out right knee is saying... Thank you!

I tried that technique once before, but with no luck.  I probably was doing something wrong then. Can't recall.  Doesn't matter.  She easily starts up now.  Thanks again!

• Like 3

Hi all my friends trying to help me get this bike running. I tried leaning it against the garage wall. I got up on it and stood up on the bike. Put all my weight into startingit. I'm finally getting good full kicks. Still nothing not even a grunt. It's getting spark it's getting gas. I pulled the plug to check for spark and turned it over a few times. Put plug back in (tightened) like it's supposed to be and now when I kick I'm hearing a compression sound. Like when the plug is out? Blu Blu Blu. So did the stupid thing break a ring or something? Funny thing too was when the dealership delivered it there was a black fouled plug in it from dealer prep I assume? Is something seriously wrong with this bike? I don't know? I understand 2 strokes well I'm getting fuel spark and air. It won't even turn a revolution. I'm serious frustrated. Brand new motorcycle I had it 2 months and haven't heard it run yet. I reached out to 5 star Motorsports ( KTM Huskvarna) where I bought it twice. I got a text asking me what the problem is. I sent a long detailed reply. Never got an answer. I had my wife call the service department. I can't speak because cancer took my larynx. They told her well they are just hard to start. Don't know what to tell ya. I heard it on speaker phone! I requested an appointment to have a mechanic look at it. They never replied. I think something isn't right here. I know 5 star has a great reputation as a very recognized dealership but that's in road, motocross and enduro bikes. I was told they knew nothing about trials motorcycles which have a very different engine setup. I was told that by a Beta dealer. They don't understand these types of motorcycles. So I'm in limbo this bike is in limbo and I'm stuck with a $7500 paperweight. I appreciate all of you people so much! Honest to God I appreciate you trying to help me with this. Your incredible people. Friendly understanding. I'm just really lost here now. And why is it kicking over normal but it's making a compression leak sound now?

And how do I know when it's on tdc or bdc by rolling it back in 2nd gear? I read a lot about that but how do you know when it's on top or bottom of stroke? Anything is worth a try at this point. I even read to lay it on it's left side for awhile before trying to start it. I never heard of that in 50 years of 2 stroke motorcycles. To me that would flood it? I can't believe how ridiculous these bikes are to get running. I had a Montesa 250 in 02 and it was nothing like this. Yes granted I was 39 years old but still I never saw a bike like this. I sure wouldn't take a chance on riding this bike in the woods. No way no how. At least until I learn the magic technique to getting it running 

Edited by Butch

Butch, here is what to do.  For your first time doing this, I suggest you stand on a bike stand or a stool placed near the bike so you can kick it downward with you right foot.  With a cold engine, put the choke on and without any throttle, put the bike in gear and roll it backwards until it is against the compression.  flip out your kickstarter, hold the front brake and with your right foot, give it a swift kick downwards..  Do not worry about where the engine is, just kick it straight down.  You may need a couple of kicks. It may feel a little weird at first.  Remember to roll back against the compression before each kick.  The kicks will be fairly easy to do because you are not up against full compression.  When warm, do the same except do not put on the choke.  Once you started the bike this way, you will see it is easy to do flatfooted.  You may have to lean the bike to the right a little bit to get your foot on the kickstarter (I do).

Now, as much as you have been trying to start your bike, you may be seriously flooded.  Use this technique but with no choke and hold the throttle wide open.  Stand on something and kick away.  I say stand on something because it is easier and you may have to kick it a few times.  You may have to kick it a lot to clear it out.  It could have a crankcase full of fuel.   Just keep kicking it, it will start.  I hope this helps.  Just out of curiosity, where are you located?  If you were near, I would come over and help you out.

BTW, if you cannot get it going, take it back to the dealer and tell him to start it period.  They sold it to you, tell them to start it.  That dealer is giving you BS.  It is just a two stroke with high compression and a kickstarter that is placed physically higher than normal.  It will start.  Let us know how you make out.

• Like 1

I taught a friend to start my bike and after pulling the bike backwards he was moving the kickstart until he felt resistance before kicking. It won’t work if you do this since you’ll be turning the engine out of the sweet spot. There’s a bit of easy resistance at the start of the kick when you do it with the trick and you want to kick through it.

i agree with Captain Bob. You should bring the bike to the dealer and have them start it. It’s a lot harder to ignore a customer standing in the store with their new bike in tow claiming they were sold a lemon than it is to ignore a phone call. 

• Like 2

Okay I will give those suggestions a try and keep you all updated. I'm probably not going to get to the garage today but tomorrow is another day. Captain Bob I'm in Portage Pennsylvania. It's about 80 miles East of Pittsburgh off of route 53. I would love if you could come and check this thing out. I would pay you to help me. At this point I don't know what else to do. If I got fuel in the crankcase do I need to change the gear oil? I was actually worried about that before it was mentioned. Thanks for all the suggestions and help. I never tried the rolling back in gear method. I will try that tomorrow. I'm hoping I can figure it out.

3 hours ago, Butch said:

... If I got fuel in the crankcase do I need to change the gear oil?...

No, separate areas within the engine; a 2-stroke engine crankcase is used for moving fuel and air into the combustion chamber from the carburetor or throttle body via a process referred to as scavenging. If raw fuel accumulates in the crankcase you can remove the spark plug and let it evaporate or in lets say the worst case scenario that you dropped your bike in the lake, then you would remove the spark plug and turn the motorcycle completely upside down to make the water come out of the crankcase.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Butch said:

Okay I will give those suggestions a try and keep you all updated. I'm probably not going to get to the garage today but tomorrow is another day. Captain Bob I'm in Portage Pennsylvania. It's about 80 miles East of Pittsburgh off of route 53. I would love if you could come and check this thing out. I would pay you to help me. At this point I don't know what else to do. If I got fuel in the crankcase do I need to change the gear oil? I was actually worried about that before it was mentioned. Thanks for all the suggestions and help. I never tried the rolling back in gear method. I will try that tomorrow. I'm hoping I can figure it out.

I went to my garage and started my 300 TXT again today just for a test.  It was a cold engine.  I was wearing sneakers (a first!) and used the start procedure I outlined to you earlier. I did not use my stand this time but was flatfooted.  It was a piece of cake.  Started on the second kick.  Choke was on and no throttle applied when I kicked it over.  Very little resistance is felt when I kick the bike.  BTW, I had forgotten to turn the gas on, and it still started.  Don't forget to turn on the fuel petcock.  It should be pointing downward.

You need to remember.... roll the bike backwards in gear until you are up against the compression. You need to do this for every kick.   Squeeze in clutch, pull out kick starter and kick.  Do not try to set the Kickstarter on the compression stroke.  Leave it alone and just back the bike up till you hit compression, flip out the kick start lever and give it a healthy kick. 

That being said, I think I would assume you have a flooded engine and you may want to try to start the bike a little differently.  Do not put the choke on.  Open the throttle wide open and follow the kick procedure I described.  I would kick it that way a few times first just to clear any flooding condition out.  Maybe 5 or 6 times.  Use a stand to step on to make it easier.  My guess is, she will fire up!

You are about 7 to 8 hours away from me.  I am in Berlin, MA.  A road trip might be fun.  Let me think about it.  Maybe grab the wife and get her out of the house for a couple days.  😁  Try the method I described and let me know how you make out.

• Like 1