Fork tube/seal protection......

CaptainBob

Jitsie sells these sleeves that Cover the inner tube portion of the forks. and the seals.  Intent being to keep dust, mud and other debris from messing with the fork seals potentially creating leaks.  It seems like a good idea but, I notice the pro's do not have them on their bikes.  Does anyone have any thoughts on these sleeves?  Good idea?  Bad idea?  Any and all thoughts are most appreciated.

• Like 1

They have been called many things through the years. Not a new idea. It traps all things. Water, mud, dust etc.. 

I bought a bike that had them that had been sitting for a couple of years. Forks had huge pits in the chrome. Dumb idea. My first trials bike had a set. The bike came from the original inventor from 1971. I bought the bike in 1973. I could find a pic if anyone is really curious. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, lineaway said:

They have been called many things through the years. Not a new idea. It traps all things. Water, mud, dust etc.. 

I bought a bike that had them that had been sitting for a couple of years. Forks had huge pits in the chrome. Dumb idea. My first trials bike had a set. The bike came from the original inventor from 1971. I bought the bike in 1973. I could find a pic if anyone is really curious. 

Interesting. That was my thought as well. The sleeves may pick up and trap dirt, moisture, whatever.  Probably better off without them.

• Like 2

Probably like oil discussions, but....
I've used them on a few bikes (still do). My main reason is to provide some scratch protection from crashes - it's not going to stop a gouge from a big off onto a sharp rock, but I know from experience that they do provide a certain level of protection.
I believe they significantly reduce the amount of dust that gets into and past the wiper, based on observation riding in exactly the same location over some years with and without.
I make my own up out of old wetsuits bought for peanuts at thrift shops using a domestic sewing machine. I make them so they are quite conical so the bottom end is loose around the stanchion but tight on the lower, with the idea that it reduces or nearly prevents rubbing and allows a bit better drying. I've seen some commercial ones that are quite snug on the stanchion - I suspect that could cause abrasion.
No velcro in mine as that's a complication that I also expect could cause abrasion on the forks. I remove and clean them when I change fork oil every 50 hours. They are usually very clean inside, just some slight dusty/oily marks on the creases.

I don't have any issue with them staying wet, but I ride in Australia, although in an area with moderately damp winters.