4rt shock linkage bearings

doddy

Rebuild the old one with drawn cup needle bearings and seals sourced from a local bearing supply store, the linkage is garbage if the hole for the bearing gets smashed out of round.  The stock bash plate does a poor job of protecting the linkage.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, lemur said:

Rebuild the old one with drawn cup needle bearings and seals sourced from a local bearing supply store, the linkage is garbage if the hole for the bearing gets smashed out of round.  The stock bash plate does a poor job of protecting the linkage.

how difficult is it to remove the old ones ?

5 hours ago, doddy said:

how difficult is it to remove the old ones ?

Easy, drive them out with a hammer and a socket wrench. or press them out with a vise and two sockets.   Two bearings in each end of the dog bone for a total of 4 bearings plus 4 seals.

On 10/9/2023 at 9:26 PM, lemur said:

Two bearings in each end of the dog bone for a total of 4 bearings plus 4 seals.

It is VERY important to also check/replace the two more bearings that are in the swinging arm, these,if neglected can result in a very expensive repair.......

On 10/9/2023 at 11:12 PM, lineaway said:

The cheapest solution is regular service.

Whilst agreeing with the above statement I would be wary of

On 10/9/2023 at 11:12 PM, lineaway said:

All balls has the cheapest complete bearing kit.

May be cheapest but they aren't the correct needle rollers in their kit - should be full compliment type..............

• Like 1

8 hours ago, lineaway said:

They may not be correct compared to the stock bearings. I have had them in my 301 for 18 months and still tight as the bike was new. 

That's as maybe, but I wouldn't think Honda/Montesa would spec full compliment if they didn't think it was necessary. Full compliment have a greater load rating I believe............

• 3 months later...

Start by removing the rear wheel and any other components that might be in the way of the shock linkage. Then, unbolt the shock linkage from the frame and swingarm. Use the good bearings puller to remove the old bearings from the linkage plates. Be careful not to damage the plates or the bearings themselves.

Edited by jannick