any one tried a front nitromousse mousse ?

ar22

We rode in the scott trial last week and one of our biggest fears was a front puncture as they are very time consuming and a general massive pain to sort by yourself half way up a moor.

We did use a heavy duty tube with slime in it and did avoid punctures but you will never know how close you actually got to getting one. 

I have since noticed that Nitromousse list a "plushie" for a Michelin x11 and Dunlop  front tyre that gives 6 to 8 psi 

These seem ideal for the Scott/SSDT 

I know that a mousses historically were generally regarded as too hard and had little feel to them but they seem to have come on technically (so they all claim) in recent times. 

Now I assume because of the popularity of hard enduros they offer the much softer options that give trials like pressures. They also list one to fit the tubeless rear, not too sure how that works but am more interested in the front at the minute. 

Has anyone tried one of these from Nitromouse and if so what is the feed back ?

Has anyone tried a different brand that works well ?

https://www.nitromousse.com/

many thanks

Edited by ar22

You can make a soft mousse even softer and lighter by drilling a whole bunch of holes through it, that's what the hard enduro guys do here.  We made up a tool that cuts 1" diameter core samples through the rubber real easy.  Then you lube up the inside of the tire with shortening because we are too cheap to buy the proper stuff. 

For fixing an inner tube I found fish glue works better then slime, but you can't put in in the tire in advance and just as with slime it won't fix a ripped off valve stem but it plugs holes way better then slime which never hardens, fish glue is water soluble so can be reactivated with a little water, and it's cheap.

Edited by lemur
add

42 minutes ago, trapezeartist said:

It looks like they need to make a super-plushie for trials (if they are really as good as they claim). Or maybe they are only needed for the Scott and SSDT where 6-8 psi might be the norm. (Is it? I don't know.)

That's why you drill a whole bunch of holes through your brand new very expensive tire mousse.  aka 'Drilled mousse'

... mousse is a good replacement for an inner tube if you are studding a front tire with sheet metal screws or pointed thread tire studs and not just auger thread grip-studs.  Auger thread studs don't puncture tubes unless you crank them in too deep.

• 1 month later...

They also make something called mousse balls now, which you can use as many or little as you like according to the adverts. I work at a parts shop and someone came in asking for them a while back and I hadn't come across them yet... thought they were making a bad joke! :P