Cota 348 cracked engine case

DavidSweden

Engine through bolts are M7 (as are all the engine outer casings).

I did not torque mine up. Just used flat washer, spring washer, drop of thread lock.

You might have to resprt to the  Dremel method to remove the bearing race out - 3 or 4 surgical cuts....

Edited by dr nosh

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the reply.

I an putting the engine together and can anyone tell me:

1) How should the gear at the end of the kickstart shaft should be orientated when the kick is at the stop on the case (see picture).

2) The gear runs under a 3 pronged bolt (not sure what u call it) how tight should this bolt be, should the gear be able to 360 degrees under the prongs?

Thanks in advance

Capture KICK12 .JPG

Capture KICK1 .JPG

I put the case together this afternoon everything seems to be ok except for the kickstart mechanism. When the kickstart shaft is rotated (to simulaye a start) the the gearshaft turns (as expected) but there is a clicking noise when the kickshaft is rotated back to its home position.

Does anyone know the reason for this?

18 hours ago, DavidSweden said:

I put the case together this afternoon everything seems to be ok except for the kickstart mechanism. When the kickstart shaft is rotated (to simulaye a start) the the gearshaft turns (as expected) but there is a clicking noise when the kickshaft is rotated back to its home position.

Does anyone know the reason for this?

The ratchet mechanism you can clearly see in the photo should click as the kickstart lever returns towards the stored position. Just before the lever reaches the stored position, there should be a cam or ramp that moves the ratchet teeth apart.

If not for the ratchet mechanism, the kickstart shaft would be rotated by the motor when the motor starts.

• 4 weeks later...

15 hours ago, DavidSweden said:

I got the engine back in the bike and it stated and runs nice.

The bike has the Malcolm Rathmell tank can anyone tell me what the motor cc?

Capture malc.JPG

If its is a standard 348 engine then it is approx 310cc displacement..