Sad story

slowrider

Well after spending 2 years of my free time and spending several thousand $ my bultaco is gone forever ! I had just finished fixing the last leak and decided its time to get it registered. Went to the DMV and filled out the paperwork, the next thing I know the CHP is giving me a long talk about where I got the bike and loading it up in a tow truck. as you might have guessed it had been stolen. My advice is be very careful when buying on Facebook marketplace! All the new parts on the bike should stay with me, but I had no choice.

At least my daughter had a chance to ride it...

• Sad 2

19 hours ago, slowrider said:

Well after spending 2 years of my free time and spending several thousand $ my bultaco is gone forever ! I had just finished fixing the last leak and decided its time to get it registered. Went to the DMV and filled out the paperwork, the next thing I know the CHP is giving me a long talk about where I got the bike and loading it up in a tow truck. as you might have guessed it had been stolen. My advice is be very careful when buying on Facebook marketplace! All the new parts on the bike should stay with me, but I had no choice.

At least my daughter had a chance to ride it...

Were you able to identify your source for the bike? Are you facing possible charges for possessing stolen property?

Hey slowrider,

So sorry to hear this happened to you.  Your experience has always been at the back of my mind when beginning a restoration.  Sounds like a nightmare.  She was a beautiful bike and really a shame you have no apparent recourse.

Out of curiosity, what did CHP say you could have done differently to protect yourself from something like this happening?  Are you supposed to call DMV to confirm clear title before buying?  Not really practical in some cases as certain sellers might feel apprehensive  to provide that information over the phone or email, fearing the potential of a scam.  Further, I hear now that DMV is changing their policy for obtaining title and registering in cases where there is no paperwork or the bike is out of the system.  Sounds more stringent including taking the motorcycle to CHP for inspection as well as purchasing a title bond (to protect against issues such as yours) if there isn't any accompanying paperwork.

From CA DMV website:

A California defective title bond is required for vehicle owners who don't have sufficient proof of ownership for vehicle registration. Once you've purchased and received your official title surety bond, you'll be able to apply for your California bonded title.

Again, I'm sorry to read this happened to you.  Truly a shame.