Spoke angles

sidstevo

Hi

I have the rim and the hub and 36 x 90 degree spokes. I'm told they can't all be 90 degrees, half of them have to have a lesser angle.

Anyone know what that angle is please? Its a front, 21 inch Akront from a 1974 MAR 250

Cheers

Sid.

Update..

The bike was a basket case and came with just the front hub and rim, no spokes. So.. In my ignorance I ordered 36 90 degree spokes from Poland because they were half the price of the Ossa kit. WRONG! I should have asked yous for advice first. There are two sets of eighteen, inner and outer with two different angles for each.

I've just ordered the correct spokes from Trial World

Thanks all for your advice. I'll be back.

Sid

Got the correct spokes at last. Looks good.

109.jpg

110.jpg

Edited by sidstevo

Are the spokes new or are they the original ones from the stripped down wheel? In general the inner spokes will be slightly less than 90 degrees and the outer ones will be slightly more than 90 degrees. If you are going to rebuild the wheel you need to know the offset between the hub and the rim and then adjust each spoke angle to accommodate. Fit the inner spokes first maintaining the offset and then fit the outer ones again maintaining the offset, then tighten and true the wheel.
Regards.

• Like 1

If you have new spokes with slightly different angles , you can often change the angle yourself if you can find a sensible way of holding the end.

Have done this myself a few times - it is probably against all the rules of wheel building, but I have never had any problems doing this, and unless you can send back the spokes , they are just being wasted and will sit on a shelf gathering dust.

• Like 1

I would check the fit of the spokes in the hub. In this case the bearing surface of the offset spoke to the hole in the hub.

If the spoke is not in position, bending it back to the required angle may help

However, spokes are made of high-strength steel, the nipple has been cold-formed, so re-forming in the same place is hardly possible and would further weaken the strength of the spoke at the weakest point. If it's just for standing down, it's OK, even light driving is fine, but emergency braking or a drop off could cause it to break. When spokes start to break it's a domino effect...

Because of bad experience I don't try save on spokes and nipples.

On 12/30/2023 at 7:19 PM, pschrauber said:

I would check the fit of the spokes in the hub. In this case the bearing surface of the offset spoke to the hole in the hub.

If the spoke is not in position, bending it back to the required angle may help

However, spokes are made of high-strength steel, the nipple has been cold-formed, so re-forming in the same place is hardly possible and would further weaken the strength of the spoke at the weakest point. If it's just for standing down, it's OK, even light driving is fine, but emergency braking or a drop off could cause it to break. When spokes start to break it's a domino effect...

Because of bad experience I don't try save on spokes and nipples.

All true and correct I am sure.

However if the bike is to be used for some light trials riding, the risk of catastrophic failure is surely quite low.

If the application was land speed records or road racing, then Yes, be more cautious and get some spokes that are 100percent correct