Beta rear brake

dan williams

“There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another theory which states that this has already happened.” Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy 

In my never ending quest to improve my Beta (and ignore the fact that I’m the weak link) I’ve been thinking about the generally accepted weakness or at least variable feel of the Beta rear brake. It uses the same master cylinder as the other bikes. The caliper is not particularly different. I can only come up with one big difference between Beta and the other brands. Beta’s brake is on the other side of the swingarm. In itself not significant but the brake hose is roughly twice the length of the other bikes. This makes the Beta twice as sensitive to the effect of hose expansion under pressure. Could something this simple be why Beta rear brakes are not on par with other manufacturers? I feel some research coming.🤔

Edited by dan williams
  • Like 1

I'm a rear brake user.... we ride a lot of steep downhills in wet and dry. I also use my rear brake a lot in tight turns. I have a '21 Factory 200 which I did upgrade to an NG FIM rear disc and a '23 Factory 200 with the stock one. The rear brake works as good or better than my previous Gas Gas and Scorpas did. It seems very consistent to me. What do you feel?

Beta hill.jpeg

Edited by nhuskys

The rear brake is the one thing I dislike about Evos.  The Beta 4t has the brake on the other side yet has the same weakness.  In addition, I found Rev3 rear brakes to work fine.  I sometimes wonder if the lack of feel on Evo rear brakes is actually the brake lever (flex?).  Or maybe it is the combination of the lever and my small feet (size 9).  The picture is more vulnerable but a workable solution.  I think the Jitsie lever helps a little also.  Early Rev3s had a 2 piston caliper in the back.  I did this after replacing all brake components including the disc and trying all available pads.

2 piston.JPG

Edited by mcman56
smaller pic

I have to agree with Dan. Beta rear brakes have always flat out sucked compared to the other brands. It`s almost like they had an engineer had no desire to make the brake any better than on or off. maybe the later model years have gotten better. I gave up on Beta when the next Gen model never happened. It would be tough to get me off my Montesa. But I just bought a lightly used 2016 250 for my grandson. (Novice rider owned.)  Who knows I could be back to Beta by the end of the year.

Edited by lineaway

15 hours ago, lineaway said:

Ron Sr. always did Geoff and Ron jr`s Beta`s with smaller hydraulic lines.

Yeah I remember that. There were always custom goodies on Ron’s bikes. Including a few Ron specific mods. Always amazed me the stuff Ron Jr. could do especially since he could barely flex his throttle wrist. He’d turn the throttle on by rolling it under his fingers and control power with clutch technique.