Scorpa - Engine Query

nitjay - hrc

Ok after having a little play on it today i have a few concerns.

Number one. I just ran it for a while and rode it round the garden, and the engine is knocking quite a bit. I was wondering if this is likely to be due to the fact that When i got home i noticed there was virtually no fuel in the tank so i put a splash of the only stuff ive got in which is either 50:1 (about 3weeks old) or 60:1 (About a month old.) Could the fuel be making it worse? There was a little noise there when i went to look at it, but it wasnt anything to put me off the bike (nothing out of ordinary). Iam also using old Silkolene 2T oil, which Kev@GasGAs told me not to use in my Gasser because it makes them knock when its not warmed up (i didnt really warm the bike up before pottering round the garden, just maybe 2mins)

Do you think if i mix up some fresh 65:1 with Castrol TTs 2stroke it will make much difference?

Iam really worried about this as its seems my nightmares are coming true.

Number two. I dont find this a problem as it goes into neutral really easily when the bikes running or not, i just thought it was weird - When the bike isnt running and its in gear, i cant roll the bike at all even with the clutch in, i found this quite weird as i could on my gasser is there something ive missed? However when the bike is running the clutch is sweet as you like no dragging or anything.

Please get back to me on this as iam a little concerened about it and would like to know if theres anything i can do, or if this is out of the ordinary.

Cheers Guys.

Also just to point out - i dont think its loosing power as i find it one of the most powerful Trials bikes ive ever ridden, i could wheelie it for miles if i had the courage, compression seems good too. ANOTHER ALSO, should i run it on Optimax, might this help?

Edited by Nitjay - HRC

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Number one. I just ran it for a while and rode it round the garden, and the engine is  knocking quite a bit. I was wondering if this is likely to be due to the fact that When i got home i noticed there was virtually no fuel in the tank so i put a splash of the only stuff ive got in  which is either 50:1 (about 3weeks old) or 60:1 (About a month old.) Could the fuel be making it worse? There was a little noise there when i went to look at it, but it wasnt anything to put me off the bike (nothing out of ordinary). Iam also using old Silkolene 2T oil, which Kev@GasGAs told me not to use in my Gasser because it makes them knock when its not warmed up (i didnt really warm the bike up before pottering round the garden, just maybe 2mins)

Clear the fuel out, put some premium petrol (Optimax/Super) in mixed to your preferred ratio with some good quality oil and see if it clears up, you need more than 2 mins to get hot, I find my bike isn't properly "trials hot" until I've done a good 10-15 mins of riding.

Number two. I dont find this a problem as it goes into neutral really easily when the bikes running or not, i just thought it was weird - When the bike isnt running and its in gear, i cant roll the bike at all even with the clutch in, i found this quite weird as i could on my gasser is there something ive missed? However when the bike is running the clutch is sweet as you like no dragging or anything.

My Beta did this and the Sherco's the same, nothing to worry about.

Edited by Andy_290

After retarding my 04SY back to the original yam settings I noticed a little knocking once she got hot, I lifted the needle one clip and that cured the problem. I mix 200ml per 15l of unleaded "go juice!!" and have no problems, also check your coolent level she may be running too hot...

For a cheap alternative to Kevlar buy a meter of 52mm clear poly tubing from your local DIY which will cover both fork legs and slides nicely onto both swing arms, I know its doesn't look that 'blingy!!' but its a darn sight cheaper.....

Iam a bit of a mechanic n00b, could you please explain to me how you lift the needle, and what exactly it does. I gather its in the carb somewhere.

Thanks for your help. Its not when its hot, but when its cold it knocks, i havent had a chance to get it as Andy said "trial" hot. Its not the clutch, that just makes that lovely whining sound!

Sorry mate i'll explain, take off the rear gaurd and tank, un screw the top to the carby, pull back on the spring and release the throttle cable.....

OK your should have the spring, put that to one side, also the carby slide which incorperates the needle.... Find a clean area to work in, unscrew the two phillips screws in the slide and remove the needle ( remember where it all goes or take a pic with the digital mobile/camera )...... on the needle is a small circlip which should be midway in the groves, pull the circlip off using pliers and move it down one grove (this raises the needle letting in more fuel and hopefully fixes the knocking problem) put it all back together checking the throttle returns properly prior to putting the tank on and there you have it. (20 mins job)

Good luck!!!

Subtract all the bits you put back on, from all the bits you took off and you should get zero!!!!!!

Iam a bit of a mechanic n00b, could you please explain to me how you lift the needle, and what exactly it does. I gather its in the carb somewhere.

Thanks for your help. Its not when its hot, but when its cold it knocks, i havent had a chance to get it as Andy said "trial" hot. Its not the clutch, that just makes that lovely whining sound!

If you are not that confident in the mechanics dept go for fresh fuel and good 2stroke oil before you start altering settings (i mix mine at 70-1 like i said before.) then warm the bike really well first and then ride it, scorpas seem to take an age to heat up ! good luck!!

Edited by lastplacebrad

Thanks for the help guys.

Do any of you guys' Scorpas make any noise coming from the barrel, and do you see the knocking as a problem? its no where near as bad as my last bike was. I will buy some good 2T oil tonight (Castrol TTS) then the day before i ride it, ill get some fresh fuel (cant decide if to use optimax or not)

I emailed Scorpa and they said i should run 2.5% oil..... what is that as a ratio.

Cheers

Nj

I emailed Scorpa and they said i should run 2.5% oil..... what is that as a ratio.

Is 40:1

Is (Castrol TTS) full synthetic?

I use Motul 600 or 800 both are full synthetic and I mix at 80:1. 80:1 may be a little rich for trials but I trail ride occasionally.

If you use 40:1 you will be able to confuse the rider in line behind you as he will not be able to see the section or the trail for the smoke screen you have left behind.

I thought it was weird that they said that, im goana run it at 60:1 or 62.5:1 with TTS and possibly optimax. I really hope that helps the knocking, as otherwise i love it.

Also i know Betas do it, but do any of your Scorpa's Whine?

Edited by Nitjay - HRC

Also i know Betas do it, but do any of your Scorpa's Whine?

Nitjay,

Have you pulled the jug and removed the piston to check the small end needle bearings?

It is not a hard job. Bearing, a new pin, and cir clips are not expensive.

The only time that my Scorpa made a whirring or whining sound is when I buried the throttle six inches in the mud wide open and I tried unsuccessfully to stop the engine. The engine back fired and twisted the crank. The flywheel was rubbing against the cover and made the whirring noise. I sent the engine back to the dealer and he fixed it. It has not made any strange noises since then. The crank was 0.060" TIR.

Ciao

DFW

Edited by dfwilson

I dont think its that mate, its only really there when i let the cluth out, so iam guessing its something to do with the gearing, i like the noise and i remember listening to other bikes that made the same noise and thinking it sounded quite sweet. But iam a paranoid perfectionist with limited technical no-how (first one in family to own an offroad bike)