New Beta 200 Problems

beamish owners club

I picked up a brand new Beta 200 yesterday. The dealer told me not to park it facing down hill as the 'carbs on these are prone to flooding'. I took the bike for a run up and down a few small hills and petrol began to pour out of the carb over flow. Even when I got the bike into the car park and on the level, the petrol continued to pour out until I turned off the petrol tap.

Has anyone else had this problem?

Mod Edit - email address removed as the spambots will pick it up and fill your inbox with crap!

If everybody has these problems with Beta carbs leaking fuel, my mate included, isn't it about time the factory sorted this problem out instead of leaving it to their customers to fix. This has been going on for years, surely Beta should insist Mikuni get it sorted.

Edit :Sorry Husky, just realised we are on the same wavelength with our posts.

Edited by John.B

Think I must just be lucky, but all I ever did to mine was cut off the tubes at an angle, and it has NEVER leaked...(touch wood), in the 3 years I've been riding it.

Its an 02 250 model.

It does however take a few kicks to start, if I leave it parked facing downhill, but I never turn the fuel off during an event...mostly 'cause it would p*** me off too much if I got a 5 through forgetting to turn it on again

One of my friends got a new Beta in 05 with exactly the same problem plus he also had the problem with a to fat mixture at low rpm's. He lowered the float-level just a little bit and both the problems were solved.

Just takes a little... and perhaps, like me, a few tries to get it just right!!

Hi r2wtrials

Great homepage you have, I really enjoyed seeing the Kick-start from the 80. It was the wildest thing back then :angry:

Cheers

Thomas

I found this in the history form Billy T

Mikuni Carb Setup By Billy T

After receiving my 02 Beta Rev 3 I am very pleased with the bike. I am getting quite a few recommendations on how to set the bike up and what areas to change or set.

One particular area is the carb. I have heard many statements regarding the float level and how to set it up. This setting of the

Think of this! When you land off a large rock the weight of the floats push quite rapidly down inside the float bowl. This is known as gravity. The extended movement of the floats downwards tends to do two things. It moves the floats way down inside the float bowl allowing more gas than needed and it also causes some of the excess gas to be pushed up into the jets and into the engine.

A very good explanation beside the comment about landing hard on the ground.

We can divide the happenings in the carb in to tree different situations: driving smooth on the ground, flying in the air, landing on the ground.

DRIVING SMOOTH ON THE GROUND

In this case there are two forces that are acting on the float.

- Gravity on the float : mass_float * 9,81 m/s^2 [N] Pulls down

- Buoyant force from gas : Volume_float * density_gas * 9,81m/s^2 [N] Puls up

So it is a balance between these two forces that decides if the float goes down or up

FLYING IN THE AIR

This is an interesting situation, because we are now getting in to Einstein

Edited by Thomas_trial

Talking about this subject makes me feel quit happy about my GasGas :D , because the carb is one of the areas that give no problems on that .. we better enjoy the positive things in life right ;)

But it is pretty strange that Beta year after year are making the same mistake with the carb. ;)

just had my carb off my new beta for the first time today, what a pig to get off.. rear guard off, rear section of exhaust off, airbox and rubber gaitor off

cant believe how much 'dirt' has got in the airbox in just two trials and two 'short ' jet washes, looked ok till i got the box out and looked right down in the bottom about a 1/4 inch of silt hiding down there. rubber boot to carb was also a hiding place for the stuff little or none at entrance to carb and none at all in carb.

question is though... there are 3 exits for excess fuel and only the overflow actually has a tube on it should the other two ( the one on the nearside of the carb and the one underneath?)