Advice 2002pro

trisscross

hi i just bought a 2002pro and the gearbox sounds a bit noisy in the first 3 gears is this normal ?.i want to change the gear oil i think it should be 10/40 is good engine oil ok to use if not can someone advise what spec oil i can use

also what oil mix should i be using in the petrol

thanks tris

I.ve Always used Castrol GTX 5/40 dont get any Clutch drag with that mind you with the 02 you are going to have to learn to whip the cover off and change the o rings (behind the cluth actuator"top Hat") if it's all original spec. I,ve Always used synthetic at 75% currently using Repsol mainly because I had a good deal on it prior to SS taking on the distribution! One of the pros I had snapped a kickstart return spring a bit of which got dragged into the gearbox and chewed at one or two of the gears which may account for youe noisy gearbox. In my experience of Pro's the 02 was the fragile/dodgy one ..first ones usually are. Hope this helps

Noisy as in clunky? or gear whine?

Dexron ATF is what I use, and is recommended by GG and I only get a bit of whine in 4th-6th, but bottom gears are quiet. Maybe its just front sprocket whine... never paid much attention as I figured it was normal sounds.

Remember the PRO uses the gearbox oil to lube the crank main bearings so change it often. That design and synthetic lets you get away with 80:1. I'm using Ipone at that mix. Nice strawberry smell too ! :angry:

thanks for the info i think i will be using atf as i can get hold of it vary easy. now whats this about o ring's is that on the clutch or on the slave cyliner i have not been inside any of the covers yet ,what do the o ring's do ??

the noise fron the the gearbox makes it sound like a mini i was told it was because there a close cut box is this true ?

the clutch drag thing lol it was very bad when i got the bike but i made it a lot better with bleading it ,but the oil is black!!!!! so i need to change it before using it

thanks

Hey lads. r2 just woke me up, so he it goes....

The o-rings are part of the slave cylinder that actuates the clutch. There are two orings, one on the tranny oil side, the other on the brake fluid side...never the two shall meet.

Early 2002's had orings that were effected by the fluid and caused them to leak. This effected the clutch operation in much the same way having air in the hydraulic line would...cause dragging and inability to disengage the clutch fully...or at all if left.

Changing them is a breeze. Once you use the updated orings, they seem to hold up to contamination just fine. The key to the process is surgical cleanliness. All components need to be absolutely oil and fluid free, as do the orings. Install the rings with a little smidge (technical term) of silicone grease...NOT AXLE GREASE. This bit of grease is critical to making them last in my experience...we're talking a tiny bit though, don't slather it on like an axle. Put all back together and bleed. If you maintained everything good and clean, used the proper orings and a little silicone grease the clutch will work fine for a long time.

It's a very easy job and parts are extremely cheap. If you don't get it right, you simply do it again...no biggy.

Thanks guys, I'll have to give it a try as mine only fully disengages when the lever is all the way in and it drags a bit when cold. My forefinger is getting over developed from all the exercise.

Mike