When it comes to trials, what should I learn and in what order?

I would love to join a trials class, but cant due to time, so im stuck learning on my own. as of now, im just somewhat trail riding and learning to get over somewhat technical ledges about 1ft high, slow riding, and just trying to static balance.

I am hoping someone can somewhat guide me on what order I should do things. I met someone and they told me, just find a playground for now with small ledges, climbs, etc and ride over them slowly, get over them slowly. Try Static balance at the start, just a little before the obstacle and try getting over it, then slowly pick more technical lines. 

So i combined this list to see if anyone can offer some advice and this is the order that I should learn how to do things for now as a beginner.

1. Learn to pop front tire to get over 1ft - 2ft ledges. Slow riding and balance and very slow pace.
(Do i need to learn to zap for 2 feet ledge obstacles?)

2. Static Balance 30 seconds

3. Static Balance 60 Seconds Both sides

4. Static Balance 60 Seconds and change handle bar positioning. 

5. Start Learning Front hops, then learn front hops side to side.

6. Stoppies and rear stoppie pivots.

7. Small Zap techniques, to eventually getting over 3 feet obstacles

I think the main question would be too, when do I need to start popping clutch to get my front tire over stuff instead of just throttle?

Edited by dirtrider86

Your initial list is pretty good tbh. I wouldnt put too much stress on being able to static balance, moreso being able to ride super slow with the clutch in a controlled manner. I think it important being able to turn your bike in full lock while on relatively flat ground, which is virtually impossible without the use of some clutch and brake work.

As for zapping/splatting, it all depends on the shape of the ledge or rock. You can still touch front rocks up to 6ft, but there becomes a point splatting is better. Splatting isnt really necessary for obstacles below 4ft, but you have to start practicing them on something, so may as well be on the small stuff.

@dirtrider86 There are trials training videos all over YoutTube Pat Smage FactoryONE Motors , Ryan Young , GasGas Get on the gas with Albert Cabestany , cross training trials , trialstrainingcenter , mike haubrich , trials riding 101 Paul Brodies Shop, Trials Progression.  

Trials Progression is by a beginner from a  beginners perspective so you may like to look at his videos as a starter as he explains how he set about his training not just how to execute a technique. enjoy yourself there is hours of the stuff on there.

Edited by Tr1AL
  • Thanks 1

It`s virtually impossible to learn trials correctly without some help from another rider that knows how t ride proper. By yourself you will devolop bad habits that will be hard to resolve. First and foremost is a proper turn on flat ground, then on a hill and then figure 8`s with multi off cambers. When and only when you are doing well you throw some ledges and then mix in some rollers. Splats and zaps will be the last things you need to learn as a roll up has to become automatic as 90% of anything you can ride will be easily conquered with this most basic move. Then the next step is the double blip which cause most people to just give up as there are too many things happening at once.

Again riding with trials riders and competing will speed your progress 10 fold vs by yourself.

• Like 2

On 3/30/2024 at 7:19 AM, dirtrider86 said:

I think the main question would be too, when do I need to start popping clutch to get my front tire over stuff instead of just throttle?

Never 🤔  clutch and throttle control are never independent of one another.  Skip all that stationary balance practice, you can do that with a round log and a flat board while you are standing in front of your television.  Get yourself a concrete block 8" or 12" is adequate and set that on the ground where you can do full lock figure 8's over it.  The object is to pop over the cement block with control, style and with not putting a foot down to balance.  Once you master that to the point where you become board with it put the block on a slope and try it again.  Once you get board with all that you are ready to go out in the wild and learn to really ride.

If you want events near you there is only one way, you host the events, then everybody has to come to you when they want to ride.  

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)
On 3/31/2024 at 5:46 PM, lineaway said:

It`s virtually impossible to learn trials correctly without some help from another rider that knows how t ride proper. By yourself you will devolop bad habits that will be hard to resolve. First and foremost is a proper turn on flat ground, then on a hill and then figure 8`s with multi off cambers. When and only when you are doing well you throw some ledges and then mix in some rollers. Splats and zaps will be the last things you need to learn as a roll up has to become automatic as 90% of anything you can ride will be easily conquered with this most basic move. Then the next step is the double blip which cause most people to just give up as there are too many things happening at once.

Again riding with trials riders and competing will speed your progress 10 fold vs by yourself.

Thank you! This is exactly what I am scared of! I would like to get into trials events or coaching. So these events you just show up and ride? ask for help when needed, or is it more competition? I am definitely going to look into this. I am in Pueblo, CO so that Canon City one would be great! What website would you recommend for competing? 

Ive been late just focusing on tight turns and balance, which I seem to do ok in. I also been riding, then stop to balance then continue on. Sometimes I can do it for a few seconds, others for 10+ seconds. So, Ill probably continue that until I join a class and or at least get static balancing pretty well

Edited by dirtrider86

It's not so much about putt putt putt and then standing still as it is being able to accelerate over something and recover on the other side gracefully, retaining forward momentum when required and having control in down hills, bumpy terrain and possibly deep mud and water terrain.  Add the cement block before you turn out for a competition or you might be over-whelmed by the first rock outcrop that has tape on both sides to make you go over and not around the rock.

11 hours ago, lemur said:

It's not so much about putt putt putt and then standing still as it is being able to accelerate over something and recover on the other side gracefully, retaining forward momentum when required and having control in down hills, bumpy terrain and possibly deep mud and water terrain.  Add the cement block before you turn out for a competition or you might be over-whelmed by the first rock outcrop that has tape on both sides to make you go over and not around the rock.

Thank you! That is a good way to put it!! I noticed trials has been giving me that confidence to learn that aspect...at a low level since im not very good. However I love tight maneuvering obstacles where I have to hop and move the rear tire...although I am probably ages away from it...to me that looks super fun as oddly as it sounds haha. But I am going to join a trials event. Hopefully I will just join in and some new rider stuff for me