Beta gearing

Just got a beta 300 factory 2021 trying to get the gearing sorted on it at the moment it’s 10 /41 I find 1 gear a bit short then second gear a bit fast for some sections just wondering what everyone els is running it’s totally different to a gasgas 

That is spot on. 9/44 is the sweet spot. First is only used rarely. 2nd is used most of the time. Why this gearing makes sense is third is exactly the same as the stock second, which means 4th is just taller than the stock third. But you have to keep that thought in your head at all times. I had someone tell me this and I ignored it. Had been a Beta rider since 1990, always just used 2nd. Had a 2016 factory and the gearing drove me nuts. Got up at 3 a.m. one morning and computed the gear ratio`s. 

Now I ride a 301 Montesa, I run a 9/38 That will confuse the hell out of the 4RT guys!!!

• Like 2

I am running 10/40 gearing on a 2022 Evo 300 Factory, use first most places and go up to 2nd for the bigger climbs.

Stock 10/42 was too slow, 11/42 was too fast, 10/40 is just right.

• Like 1

It's just an opinion but when I ride any modern 300cc trials bike that can pull from 0 to maximum usable speed in third gear, I put it in third and leave it there.  I've learned to control third gear with the clutch and throttle and that gear range now feels natural in all situations.  Better riders apparently have the skills to master 3 or 4 gear ranges, not me, 3rd. with stock sprockets works a treat so I use it faithfully,  4th. for me is only for riding fast trails & riding between sections, ymmv.  Highly recommend you try 3rd. a 2021 Beta 300 factory has ample power to pull a light to average weight rider with ease.  First gear is great for getting a light weight rider into trouble at the top of a steep climb, I can't remember ever using first gear for anything other then to locate neutral.

• Like 1

Thats just too funny to respond too. You should watch the ride off bettween Pat Smage and Tobi on the Montesa 301. That section was so hard I bet they both rode in first gear. And you are telling everyone to ride in third gear! LOL!!!!!!!

You should give the top riders lessons!

• Like 2

It depends largely on terrain, and from what i know about the type of terrain lemur rides i can understand why he uses 3rd a lot. Personally im in 1st a lot more frequently than 3rd.

Did you enjoy seeing toby on the mont @lineaway?

Edited by faussy
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, lineaway said:

Thats just too funny to respond too. You should watch the ride off bettween Pat Smage and Tobi on the Montesa 301. That section was so hard I bet they both rode in first gear. And you are telling everyone to ride in third gear! LOL!!!!!!!

You should give the top riders lessons!

Would love to ride with y'all some time to show you how it works 😎

... but do you have to keep dropping names of top riders.

Edited by lemur
  • Like 1

I know how it works. Used ro always ride in second and third alot more than I do now. When we went to the all day dab, the sections got even tighter. The bikes have gotten better and they all come with a really tall first gear. Which makes it very quick and fast  enough to get over most obstacles.

I think the NATC had some of the ride off film on the facebook page. Worth a look as it was crazy busy. 

And it sure would be fun to ride with you someday to show us how. I bet you are crazy fun to ride with!@

But back to Rosshoss problem. The 9/44 does what you are lookinng for. 2nd gear is now your normal first. Its way faster than stock 1st was. Third is your new second and its exactly the same ratio as the stock second.

You would consider the first gear a granny low for only super tight work. Sure you will lose a little top speed. But luckily you prabaly rarely used up 6th gear.

Good luck!