IS OFF ROAD READY FOR?

Reading Dicko's page three blurb this week he goes on about how well off road riding is doing in the UK, and finishes the topic with a question,

[is off road riding ready for the big time?]

I don't now about the MX & Enduro scene, but from a trials point of view I think the events like the Scot and SSDT, and Brit national events are doing well run by the clubs! who are left alone to do what they think best for the event, on the other hand the events promoted by the big euro promoters in a way they know best, look to be doing p*** poor for entries and spectator participation.

So in answer to the question is off road riding ready for the big time, I just hope the big time doesn't get it hands on events like the Scott and SSDT, Richmond and E.D.M.C are making a lot better job of promoting trials than some so called promotors who's job is only to promote, in my opinion.

Size is good for me.

Back on topic, I don't think dicko was really refering to trials too much, and the big time ie an outdoor WTC has been missing (in the UK) mainly because no one wants to pay the set up charges required by Octagon or whoever.

It always seems to be the 'cantons' who stump up the money in the spanish and french rounds, and with the Ryanair judgement due soon if a challenge is made then possible this money could be stopped aswell. Then the bigtime will definately not be around the corner as no one will be able to afford the risk, or very few anyway.

I think we'd all like to think that it could take off an go big. But in reality, the sport isn't back to the state it reached in the 80s - and that was hardly big time - events attracted twice the competitors and it wasn't unusual to see spectators.

My personal view is that there isn't a lot in it from a promotional/commercial perspective outside the WTC (In & Out), British Champs, SSDT & Scott. These are the only events that really draw a crowd, and those crowds are mainly riders or people otherwise involved in the sport - i.e. there's a limited interest group with limited funds. If you bring in professional promoters its just adding an overhead that we can't afford. So where does the money come from to go big time ?

SSDT & Scott could never charge spectator admission fees outside the optional purchase of a programme, there'd be mutiny on the moors !

If the importers fund more events that money has to come from somewhere and that somewhere is the trials communities pockets.

So whats in it for the external (non Trials related) sponsor ?

I think Mx and Enduro are different. From a dealers perspective, a MX/Enduro customer must be worth two or three times as much as a trials punter (new bike every year, trick bits, latest gear, breakages, worn out bits, etc) so there's more funds in their system than ours. Its also more attractive for external income, because its racing.

What am I saying ? Let Trials evolve, do what you like to MX and Enduro. Leave the power with the Clubs and ultimately with the riders.

and with the Ryanair judgement due soon if a challenge is made then possible this money could be stopped aswell. Then the bigtime will definately not be around the corner as no one will be able to afford the risk, or very few anyway.

Nigel, Whats the ryanair judgment??

I agree with your post Subira, makes a lot of sense to me.

Edited by ishy

:P  It looks like the guilty  / embarressed fiary hsa bine and delleteed hisss posted !!!          :rolleyes:

"Wonder Boy" was me on the wind-up, but i got bored so deleted him in anticipation of the real thing arriving :blink: