Sherco Or Montesa

jono

I own an 02 315r , and have had zero problems.. I do like Shercos, But ,, I know this is trivial , The name " Sherco" just kind of puts me off. Kind of like owning a Hodaka "Road Toad" , without the sense of humour.

If you get a really top notch 2004 it should be in your budjet. I sold a mint 05 a good few months back and that was 2200. Maintain a Sherco, they are very very easy to work on and it will be reliable. Ride both and make a decision that way and try to buy from someone who you know has looked after the bike or get a pal who knows to give it a once over before buying.

thanks for the input, i think i am 90% in favour of the montesa route. the bike must last me more than two years i am not worried about the extra 3 kilos

(doesnt seem to bother dougie).

i love hondas have had numerous cars, worked on numerous honda racing cars, so i suppose am a honda fan?

have got at least 4 to look at this weekend, quick before this cash burns a hole in my pocket.

thanks for all the input

am new to this forum and didnt realise how popular it is... keep up the good work admin's

:):blush::D

I am on my third montesa ,99,03,05. No problems, other than having to change clutch plates in one,(regular maintainance) but as with any bike, this is down to regular oil changes, filter cleaning, fresh plugs etc,

My brother now rides a beta, previously had 2 sherco's. Both sherco's ate thier water pump seals, ist bike once, 2nd bike twice , in the space of 6 weeks, Shortly after selling his second sherco, it seized solid..

Bad luck?....Maybe

I might be biased, but i know which i would choose !!

Edited by monty-python

am prowd owner of a 2003 315r

after i got used to the intial extra poke compared to my old gasgas, i was very pleased with the bike, engine is silky smooth and found grip everywhere. brakes are super sharp and bike seems very flickable/ agile

the tyre fell off the rear rim though (michellin tubeless), towards the end of the day, think i was running to soft or got puncture?

questions 1. what causes the tubless tyres fall off rim... i.e what pressure?

question 2. how the fk do you get it back onto the rim?

question 3. what is main advantage of tubeless? apart for pinch punctures

my gasgas runs an inner tube, thinking of sticking one in montesa for convinience.. do i need tyre clamps?

I ride a raga rep gasgas pro, and my mate has an 05 montesa and to be honest, which was a big suprise to me I can get off the gasser and get straight on the monty and feel very comfortable on it right from the off.I have ridden most bikes apart from the scorpa and the monty is the only other bike I feel comfortable riding. On paper the 4rt is the heaviest of the trials bikes but amazingly it does not feel like that at all, especiaaly at clubman level unless you weigh less than 8 stone and you have muscles like knots in a flies pecker!! The suspension in my opinion feels very soft and spring compared to other bikes but it definately works for the 4rt, you just have to get used to it as it seems everything you do happens that little bit slower on the monty.

Great piece of kit but I'm not converted yet daggsy!!!!

Only downside is the parts for servicing seem to be generally a lot more than 2 stroke, but I suppose I'd rather pay a little bit more on plugs and oil than be faced with a self destructed 4 banger lump......nasty thought especially when you look at that mother of a honda bible...I mean doorstop....I mean yellow pages.... I mean manual. :):);):lol:

Edited by rhaines

Rich, Ive told you, sell your 03 pro and your 05 raga and buy yourself a 4pumper.

In the market at the mo, the monty is a no brainer ..

Also did you note the road work last Sunday ... 20mph to 60mph in top gear off the throttle is not a problem for these boys, and far far more fun to ride than a 2T (they just dont give you that testosterone when opened up)

Buy one so that I can come to the oracle when mine brakes :lol: