Beta Fever

neonsurge

Just wondering what's the most popular bike in different areas of the country at the moment 'cos 'round here (NE Yorks), you can't move at a trial without tripping over a Beta! All of the dealers in the area are multi-franchise, so it's not just a case of people buying what's easily available and serviceable locally. I've spoken to one dealer about this phenomenon and while remaining pretty neutral did confirm that for him at least, Betas outsell all other new bikes 3 to 1.

For the *average clubman*, all modern machinery is going to be far more capable than the rider, and it's therefore more a combination of personal brand loyalty and preference (ergos etc.) than raw performance isn't it?

I own a Gasser although I'm pretty brand-neutral (it was a case of right place, right price) and I'm considering a change. I'm not looking to start yet another "my bike's better than your bike" type of discussion, I just wondered if the "Beta fever" is spreading elsewhere or if other makes are more popular in other areas.

Just wondering...

In our club the most popular bike is the gas gas pro. Next is Montesa then sherco. There are only a few Betas and even fewer scorpas. Bike choices are quite often a case of monkey see monkey do. If our role model rides a certain brand of bike we all rush to copy him. I'm sure all the bikes are wonderful if you get used to them and take good care of them mechanically. Jay

at our centre round class for everything (pre65 to modern inc chairs)

27 - Gas Gas

19 - Sherco

17 - Beta

10 - Montesa

7 - AMC

7 - BSA

6 - Scorpa

5 - Triumph

4 - Greeves

2 - Yamaha

2 - Ariel

1 - Bultaco

1 - Fantic

1 - SWM

0 - Aprila

0 - Honda

13 -"others"

our secretary of the meeting has table of makes for the last 17 years in the programme

rabie :huh:

I have got the new beta and there do seem to be a lot of them about. When I was at the phil king last week waiting to start there was my beta and then 6 other new ones and 2 2003 ones waiting behind me. Maybe its because they have the cheapest list price.

When I was in scotland last year though there was loads of shercos. They seem to be really popular up north. There is hardly any in the club trials in the south midlands.

If you know your dealer well, he'll tell you that the Beta importer has an excellent after sales backup for him to rely on. Makes a difference on what bike he's most likely to stock. Having ridden Gas Gas then switched to Beta, and dealt with both importers, think I'll stay on a Beta for quite some time!

For club trials in the south, I would say that Sherco is clearly the pick of the bunch right now, and dealers I have spoken to confirm they are getting the most sales.

Then Beta next, who have really gotten the experienced veteran market, as well as youthfull experts as well. Then GG, Scorpa with a very few Monts, though I strongly suspect Mont's will rebound with the 4st. One thing I am amazed at is just how many new bikes there are around, what with them all going up by around 10% or so this year.

neonsurge - I'll state my allegiance up front: I ride Beta and I think it is regional. Here in north Texas it seems that Gas Gas and Sherco are the most popular with Montesa third, then Scorpa and finally Beta. However, I am seeing more new Betas being purchased than the other brands. There seems to be more new Beta dealers popping up in this area as well. I have also noticed that trialers from Oklahoma ride Beta more than any other brand.

I would say that the dealer of ANY brand will sell lots of his machines if he supports local club events with a good selection of new / used machines and good parts availability.