Stiff Clutch

lewis_gasgas

After riding the trial today my finger was very worn out and was finding it hard to use my clutch with one finger , and its about time i got the clucth sorted to how it should be because surly it cant be as stiff as it is i mean compared to some other peoples its very stiff . Can you guys think of how i can change this ?

try setting your clutch so that your finger is placed on it as far out as possible towards the end of the lever this should make it easier but if it is still stiff you could try using clutch lightener which i think you can buy but not too sure or a different type of clutch oil

the clutch on my sherco used to go really stiff .this was due to the large nut which holds all the clutch plates together comming loose .had to get a special clutch tool to hold the basket while it was tightened .did the trick though .don,t know if the sherco and gasgas clutches are the same but i,m sure some smart ar*e on here will tell you .hope this helps

I haven,t had any problems with stiff clutches on (3) gassers I have had but I did hear that the hydraulic piston that runs in clutch cover can be a problem with o rings sticking in casing, you might need to remove cover and fit new o rings, make sure they are well lubed with correct grease for your type of fluid, also can be a bit of a pain bleeding clutch when you have had it in pieces. sorry to be vague but as I say never had to do it myself.

p.s. I assume your lever is completely smooth and free in use.

I have ridden 3 bikes lately my old 300 (2004) which has a clutch pack measurement of 9.65mm My current 06 250 that has a clutch pack measurement of 9.75mm and another 2004 300 that has done alot of work and my 06 250 has the lightest clutch followed by my old 300 then the otherer 300 thats done a bit more work.

So its probably your clutch pack thats to thin it should be 9.75mm to 9.85mm for best results. You can get different sized steel plates to make up the difference but you would need a micrometer or a good digital verier to measure your clutch pack or maybe take it pack into your dealer to have it measured and he can then supply the correct plates for you.

Ian

i just replaced all of the plates in my clutch cos the steels were worn but i still replaced the friction plates and the first time i bled it it was really eavy, so i bled it again and it was fine, could just be some air in the system maybe???

Dont know you know if theres air in the system when the clutch drags or doesnt work properly and i mean the clutch works fine upto the point where its stiff ....dont really want to take it into the dealer cos i wont get it back for about 4 -5 weeks plus il get charged for that...

Lewis

Here is the lowdown on the gasgas pro clutch.

1. Check the thickness of the clutch pack as described on r2wtrials website. It should be 9.75mm +/- .10 (you need a micrometer to measure this)If you need to replace the fibres buy the 04 clutch plates.

2. Remove the clutch basket assy with clutch plates in one piece from the crankcase and lay it flat on a bench. Measure the gap between the spring fingers and the top center of the clutch basket with a vernier caliper or small ruler( it should be 17.1mm) Also check to make sure that the spring fingers are all at the same level as each other.If not replace the fingers.As the metal fatigues it flexes and it needs more movement to disengage the clutch plates.

3. While you have the clutch cover off disconnect the clutch cable. Remove the "top hat" clutch piston and check the o-ring underneath for damage.fill the top hat with dot 4 and holding it facing up place the clutch cover on top of it. Push the top hat into place while turning the assy into an upright position, this will force fluid back through the clutch cover until it comes out of the clutch cable fitting. This will effectively back bleed the bottom end of the clutch and remove all air bubbles (This is the only way I know of doing this effectively).

Refit the clutch cable and reassemble the clutch assembly fastening the clutch cover in place. Check the seals in the plunger of the master cylinder and check the position of the adjustment screw so that the valve is open when the lever is released allowing new fluid to taken into the clutch cable. Back bleed the clutch from the top of the clutch cover to the master cylinder to remove air from the top end of the system.

4. Fill the transmission with dexron III ATF fluid to minimise clutch drag.

If you follow all these steps I guarantee you will have a clutch which is light as a feather!!

Hope this helps

Rich

Edited by rhaines

gassers have a "real man's clutch" so deal with it. :thumbup:

j/k

The fiber plates are probably swollen so just do some mixing and matching of plates. Make it thinner or thicker, whichever makes lever pull easier.

No its nowt like that because i recently changed the lever over because i broke one and tried it while it was loose ect.

How do change thickness of plates then ?

You measure the clutch pack like how I described in an earlier response then work out how much you need to reduce the clutch by and replace one or a combination of clutch plates to get the correct clutch pack thickness. You can buy the plates in different widths from your local shop or shirty direct and off hand I think they come in 1.2, 1.3 and 1.4mm thicknesses. note that all gasgas pro clutches are assembled by hand so when you buy one from the shop complete they will come with different plates in them!

Have a look on gasgasusa website tech section and you should find lots of links to help with various problems.