How Much Trail Can A Trials Bike Endure

ev..

since I (so far) am a trailrider

my new, used 2.9 and I spent our first day together riding trails, tight easter trails, but still ...

it was FUN

we can easily keep up with the 'big' bikes

and when it gets ugly ;)

my riding style is smooth and more on the torques side,

no screaming engines, but still :thumbup:

I am a little concerned

how much trail riding

can a trials bike endure?

must I fear for the engine or for the suspension?

or can I torture the Sherco as much as I do my CRF?

thanks for your input

ev

ev....

Don't worry about the bike holding up to it, these things are bullet proof. But there is two things to keep in mind.....

1) You don't have the suspension to allow you to bash wheels over sharp rocks, roots and logs at speed without wacking into rims and tyres and hurting the running gear so keep you eyes open all the time.

2) 2 litres of fuel will get you far enough from home to be able to show off but further than you want to walk back!

Other than that... Go forth and demoralis(z)e! 'cause when it gets to tight tracks and hillclimbs in the forest we can eat big bore enduros for breakfast, dinner and tea!!

Downunder

(if riding fast in a section was worth anything I'd be a winner!)

;) Last summer I went trailing with a couple of enduro mates(they don't 'get' trials bikes).I thought my bike would get hammered.

I was very surprised how well my little Sherco 250 performed next to their bikes (Yam TTr250?+WRr425?).

Their grip on most off road surfaces was very poor compared to mine (especially the front),

in the woods they couldn't change direction quick enough and obstacles that I rode over they rode around.

I got tired of helping them out of the mire when my bike had skipped over it.

Apart from road work there weren't many occasions where they got away from me.

My fuel was a limitation but on the whole it was a great tester ( my bike ran very cleanly and my leg muscles got a great work out- of course 'cos I couldn't sit-).

Roll on this summer with the 290. :thumbup:

Edited by HAM2

Trials bikes make the best trail bikes. We do a lot of trial riding, on some serious terrain like the Five Miles of Hell. Riding a Trials bike trail riding is like riding a F-16 when the guys on the dirt bikes are driving DC-3's. They actually take less punishment because they are designed for rough terrain and are so maneuverable. Not to say that you want to take one out and try to run wide open in high gear all day. That probably wouldn't be good.

The main problem is not sitting down and fuel. Some guys have made bigger seats. We solve the fuel problem by carrying 2 liters of fuel in a 2 liter plastic pop bottle in a back pack. They don't take up much room and fit fine in most hydration packs like Camel Baks, and are about indestructable in case you should fall on it. Then when they are empty you can crush them and they take up even less room.

I found the cooling system to be the weakest link, especially if I had to pull a few long uphills to get where I wanted to ride. The six speed tranny on the Scorpa is more trail friendly than the five speed Montesa, although it did not help with the cooling woes.

Regards,

Yeah - I was going to mention the cooling. Not quite up to what your standard enduro bike can handle, but if you're a lightweight you probably won't have too much trouble.

With my 18 stone (and a bit) I regularly feel a little guilty and ease up on the old girl up the big hills, but other than that had no problems even with the longer events.

Trials bikes make the best trail bikes for sure! (okay, maybe if you have a seat it's a little nicer!) But like any equipment you want to last, you gotta take care of it :D Try not to kill your bikes! ;)

My uncle has been riding his 290 for a few years now and it's going very strong still! :thumbup:

thanks for the reassurement, guys

didn't want to kill my new toy right away

and compared to the bikes w/seat trials seem to be so tiny and fragile

wide open is boring on most bikes so I stay away from that

and even on a bike w/seat I stand most of the time

let me add to the original question

do you think riding (an occassional) harescramble (ultra tight stuff)

is OK for my poor little engine?

Beware of cooking your brakes.

Just keep in mind they are very small and thin brake discs and very small pads. You will find if you push them too hard your pads will wear very quickly and the discs will blue from the heat. Heating the discs doesn't really seem to do too much harm but I think you find they will harden and become brittle if you do it too often. You can always do what I do when I am going hard..... Don't use the brakes, save them for when you need them and don't speed down hills and then brake long and hard.

Can I suggest buying an 11 tooth front sprocket to, this saves the engine a lot of work on the trail and lets you spend less time changing gears. Otherwise you find you are in 4th or 5th all the time and wringing the motor or slipping the clutch all the time. I used to run an 11th front on my Sherco 250 and I have one here for my Scorpas to. I even have a 12th for the SY 125-175s which makes them a great little tight forest track racer (like a mountain bike that you don't have to peddle).

Hope this helps.

Downunder