2006 Beta Rev 3 Help

darrensn

Hi All, my brother recently baught a 2006 rev 3 250cc from a UK beta dealer. He was told on delivery that the bike has running in jets in the carb. He was told to ride it 5 or 6 times then return it to the dealer to have the jets changed. Since day one the bike has run smokey on choke, even when warmed up (off choke) it feels choked (not crisp) and he has to change gear a lot as it fluffs out when revved. He has now used it 5 times without improvement and it is due to go back to the dealer. He was also told to run the fuel at 50:1 but the book states 66:1 ? Basically do beta's come with running in jets and should they be run at 50:1. Why Would a new bike run choked ? It also leaks fuel from the carb when not running, Is this sorted under his 6 month warranty ?

Thanks

Darren.

I'm no Beta expert or any other type of expert for that matter, but it sounds like 50:1 is too rich. My Sherco is run at 80:1 and I've heard of some going 100:1 (though that sounds a little risky to me). Also, I think most new bike typically require a jetting change when new depending on where you live.

Like I said, I'm no expert so it might be wise to seek someone who is.

I'm no Beta expert or any other type of expert for that matter, but it sounds like 50:1 is too rich. My Sherco is run at 80:1 and I've heard of some going 100:1

I think this oil mix thing is a grey area.Its all down to preference in my opinion.The recomended mix for a 290 sherco is 2%(50:1)I recently posted a topic regarding fuel/oil ratio,because my 290 seems to choke up slightly.Replies vary,50:1.75:1 etc etc.

First,i wouldnt be tempted to mess.If you have run it the five or six times,take it back to the dealer as they requested.

I`ve never heard of "running in jets"I would say just take the bike back,and hopefully the replacement jets will sort out the choking problem.If it still runs rough,they will have to sort it.As for the carb,i`ve lost count the number of times i`ve seen a beta parked up at a section while the owner has gone to checck it out,while his petrol drains away!!.Its one of those things you put up with.Like ferret says,dont park it facing down hill.

Good luck

Steve :thumbup:

I have just bought a 06 250 and was told to run one tank on 50.1 then run on 70.1, personally I will run on 60.1.

The problem with the petrol I smelt petrol a few times when returning to my bike on sunday(first time I had used the bike). not everytime, when I smelt petrol the bike took a few kicks to start, proberly the angle the bike was lent .after reading comments here.

has anyone done the drill work to the carb where you use a 2mm drill and redrill the hole, does this stop the hill leaking problem.

great things you have to do to a new bike, I hope its worth it in the end or i,ll be back on a gas gas

My 2006 270 runs to rich at full throttle where it is four stroking. I guess that a main jet of 140-145 would be fine. I also think that the fuel/air mixture is to rich at idle so the size of the pilot jet may have to be changed to something like 25-27,5.

Anyway I will soon replace the Mikuni with a Dellorto VHST which I think gives superior performance.

A synthetic oil mixture of 75:1-100:1 would be fine after 10 hours of running in. I run at 100:1.

Carl

What is meant by the term "forski....oops fourstroking?,is it the same as choked or spluttering???

Well, thats when a two stroke engine only ignites every second turn on the crankshaft. Happens when the mixture is too rich ;) . Makes a significant sound.

Perhaps this expression (fourstroking) isn

i have a 05 beta and that p****d petrol out for ages so finally i decided to do the carb mod.

I have the info on how to do the mod,and can do it. is that ball bearings you have araldited in the holes,

DID THE MOD WORK. :thumbup:

Edited by tilertrialler

Ummmm...you're not gonna like me for this r2w, but I'm NOT joking. Forgot to tell you the other day, that when I was watching you riding, you're bike was loosing fuel!! :thumbup: , still not as much as others I've seen, and maybe its only when you're really bouncing around or something, but it was loosing some!

One thing I DO have to agree with r2w on though, is the set up of his bike is amazing...it feels like its got a turbo compared to others I've ridden...it also sounds amazingly smoother/better.

AND..I know the extra performance is not only the fast action throttle, 'cause I used to have one on my bike, and although I thought it made much less difference than people said it would, I didnt like it so I took it off again.

Do your carb mods as suggested. I run one size under main & pilot 27.5 & 145, feel this helps too. Also run about 70:1. Have used this set up on 5 Rev-3s now & all ran perfectly. Next to no leakage & good fuel range too. Best speak to your dealer & check if he's up to speed with Beta mods. I do float mods to all the bikes I sell, there's no point running them std.

Also - repack that silencer with proper loose packing, std Beta packings not up to much...

I have the info on how to do the mod,and can do it. is that ball bearings you have araldited in the holes,

DID THE MOD WORK.

ye they are ball bearings in the holes a 2.5MM dia and a 3.5 mm dia i didn,t araldite or glue them in. holes are drilled at 3.25 and 2.25 and then steel balls are pressed in, petrol and glue don't work well together.

And yes the mods works fine, No fuel leaking at all now, can leave it in my garage with the fuel on all week and no spillage, whereas before it used to empty the tank if i forgot to turn the fuel off.

Edited by Chris Morris