Will This Be Raga's Year?

steve fracy

Just wondered if anyone who is close to the action with the indoors is on top of this all! A big victory by Raga in the first Spanish Championship has me wondering if this is finally the year for him?? What do you think?

Edited by Steve Fracy

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think he will win the indoor title easily again this year, in my opinion he's the best indoor by a mile. But outdoor i think it will be Dougie's year again through pure consistency and a desperation to beat Jordi Tarres's record of 7 world titles. I think Fujinami will be the main challenger outdoors again, we'll have to wait and see though, should be interesting !

Majority of his wins indoor, oudoor over Lampkin and Fuji, seem to be in Spain! funny that <_<

Didn't realise that HongKong and France had become Spanish colonies :D Geography never was my strong suit <_<

My money is still on Lampkin outdoors <_<

As you say Dave, this year should be interesting for sure! Unlike last year with most of the tops Spaniards out of contention! I'm going to watch the rest of the Spanish Championships before I make any predictions. I aggree Ishy that he does have an advantage there, but the margins of victory are increasing! The tell tale sign will be to see if Doug comes back with his patented brilliance after a bitter defeat!

Cheers, Steve

I agree with Dave. I think Doug will retain his outdoor crown and Fujigas as ever will be his main rival. If Grimbo can avoid any injuries, illness then he could get third spot otherwise it will probably be Raga. (unless he spits his dummy out.)

CK

HI, the spaniards including raga can go and take a running jump!!!!!!!!.dougie lampkin is still the top man winner or no winner,if all you brits can get behind him he has another outdoor world championship in him,get your self to ireland and get some shouting done!!!!!!!,up with the revolution!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.

The Spanish lads don't really like the rain, thick mud, wind etc that a few other venues throw at em.

In Spain there is no way another rider is going to win other than a Spaniard, unless there is a BIG gap points wise

(that can't be manipulated for whatever reason)

and other in the particular trial.

Something Ive seen:

a rider/minder from a lower ranking rider moving a BIG rock/sod

so as to help the upper ranking rider, lower rank rider gets a 5

but he aint bothered.

Rider knows he's going to dab at such a place, minder SHOUTS loud

to observer, he/she looks round, the lads got away with it.

"can I stop there sir?"

No,

"why not so and so did?"

Aye and e got a 1 as well!!

Funny they all seem to come from low

european country, Spain, I think!!!

Bangor will sort em out.

Beuatiful weather last year, CAN'T possibly happen again this year.

CAN IT?

Atta boy D! Way to mix up the equation!Personally I just find it really great to have this competition so close! I also think that whether Dougie wins outdoors this year or not, there will never be another rider like him, perhaps ever! He is a class act as well as the best combination of pure skill and pure determination we have ever seen in trials!

One day someone will come along and beat all Doug's records, that's what happens eventually. But, we will be able to say that we saw Doug when he did it all and how much of a professional he was always!

Oh, you Brits! (you to Ishy) I admire your blatant patriotism on the subject! Don't think that if a Canuck was in the same postion as Dougie that I wouldn't feel the same way! All I an do is sit back and watch it all unfold with jealousy that it's not a Canadian!

Cheers, Steve

I do agree, I like Dougie's style! The determination, and "never give up" attitude is what makes True Champions. Also greatly appreciate the professionalism he shows, never snivelling or blaming others...another mark of a True Champion in my eyes.

That said, I'll play devils advocate here. <_<

I have not been fortunate enough to ever see a World round in person, but have watched a few on tapes and DVDs (so my impressions and experienced are VERY limited). Seems to me that from what I've seen...granted never seen a Spanish round...that the "benefit of the doubt" is usually in Lampkin's favour (and usually is in the case of a reining Champion). 2002 Deluth was a classic example. Dougie rarely received a stop penalty and even got a "1" for a clear "5". Others, Raga included, but in particular Fugi seemed to get dinged anytime there was even the slightest doubt.

This is in no way a slight to the Deluth officials, or any others for that matter. Just one of the few things I don't like about trials...subjectivity :D ...and another reason I support the "stop and hop" style rules, as it helps eliminate some of the "interpretation" out of scoring. Whenever there is "personal judgement" involved, there will be bias...it's simply Human Nature.

OK...Flame on...I've put on my Nomex undies <_<

Well said JT - Once again we have the situation of Professional Riders being scored by Amateur Officials, using a system that few people understand, and one that changes every year.

But, my vote still goes for Dougie Outdoors, with Jarvis much closer this year, if both can stay healthy.

Fracman I think the win and especially the margin of victory in the Spanish opener is very impressive, it's in Spain of course but, the terrain was slippery when he likes the dry rocks, and it's surprising to me how much farther ahead of Cabestany and Frexia he was.

What is even more impressive now with Raga since the indoors started, the photos show the kid has really bulked up, must be spending some serious time in the gym, this along with his recent results shows me he's going to be really after the outdoor title and this is going to be a great year to see if he can do it, maintain the consistency, and will the level go up with everyone else too?

I totally agree Matt! Lets face it, after the ban last year, he didn't have much motivation to compete for the championship. I really think that this could be the year. He has stuck with the program that Jordi has layed out for him. It will be the best year in recent memory for the championship, since Colomer and Dougie used to fight it out! Can't wait!

Cheers