Why Do You Ride

alan bechard

Not sure I want to ask why, or maybe more appropriately what brought you too the sport.

This is a spinoff question from another post where another gentleman said that he and several others started riding becuase of the WR. I have honestly never met anyone that started riding becuase of a WR, much less kept riding, everyone I know rides to be with their buds and have a good time. Or in my case, to try and beat Doug, which I have not been to successful at this past year.

So anyway,

Why did you start, or maybe what was the kicker that started you riding (Trials)?

Why do you continue to ride?

And maybe the follow on question, what would get more people riding trials?

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for referring to me as a gentleman, you're very kind. :)

I've only seen four days of trials competition in my life and they were all during the '04 and '05 Duluth World Rounds. I was amazed, my daughter was amazed and we got bikes so we could have a go. Never any hope for me to do anything remotely similar to the WTC folks. My girl may be different though.

So for me and my girl, the WTC caused us to become trials riders (I use the term RIDER very loosely in my case)! :)

I plan to continue riding trials to advance my meager skills and to be with my kids. Besides it's fun, challenging, and relatively safe and you don't need to go to a track or have tons of land to ride on.

Upon moving to California in 79, my father had a XL175. Never rode bikes at all till then. Went to the library to check on any books about offroad riding.

The Boonie Book by Carl Shipman.

Bought a 81 IT175. Rode mostly tight goat trails as the're called out here . Moto'd out a bit but I always liked the tight gnarly rocky stuff.

Borrowed a 74 TY250 and attended a trials school.

After that, that was it! Sold the IT, bought a 74 TY250, rebuilt it and have never looked back since.

74 TY250, 84 Fantic 240, 84 TY250, 91 Fantic 309 and now a 02 Scorpa.

The first World Round I ever saw was on VHS (1984 Watkins Glen).

"Why do you continue to ride?"

I like the challenge. Old time friends, and of course Team Full Monty.

"And maybe the follow on question, what would get more people riding trials?"

Invite people out to ride. Show video's with the average guy riding sections.

World Round vid's are great but to a newbee......cool, but I can't do that.

Demo's

Alot of this has been done many times out here with very small results. Some do show up, ride an event or two and thats the last you see of them.

The core of our group has ridden other types of bikes one time or another.

Edited by Dabnabit

Alan,

For us old guys, this question will definitely date us and may not be relevant to info you are trying to collect. In the Pre-DVD, Pre-video era, my only exposure was in Dirt Bike Magazine when they covered the international events and nationals. This was in the day of the introduction of the Japanese trials bikes.

I remember seeing that aluminum tank RL250 Suzuki at the local dealer that peaked my interest. However, being the fanatic I am, it was not what the world champ, Martin Lampkin and new champ Malcolm Rathmell was riding. I remember reading the test write up of the 348 Cota.

So I drove to another city to see that first year COTA 348 Malcolm Rathmell Replica. Not knowing what trials really was I still could tell this was a serious machine. That was it, never even seeing an actual trials event I knew that was the bike I wanted and the sport I wanted to be involved in.

I remember driving 5 hours to get to my first event and I was reading about the rules in a book I just bought. I can't remember who wrote it but Mick Andrews was on the cover riding what looked like a SSDT section. That's how it started for me.

Eventhough my first exposure to trials was in print and coverage of events, I did the same thing about 6 years later in windsurfing this time without any world cup competition exposure. Jumped in both feet, no looking back.

Nsaqam,

When I first started this reply I was going to ask you how you became so involved and jazzed about a sport you have only seen 4 trials but never rode one event yourself.

Also it seemed you were being a little league Dad already without your daughter riding an event.

However after recounting my history, how in the heck can I be critical of your zeal for the sport? I would be a hypocrite wouldn't I?

Good for you, keep working your ideas, but remember this forum means nothing. Actually presenting your ideas to the governing body is what you have to do.

Don't turn your back on the NATC, no matter what Lane would have you believe. These people truly have the best intentions for the sport and the bottom line, the ones doing the work not just talking about it.

Jack

Why did you start, or maybe what was the kicker that started you riding (Trials)?

And maybe the follow on question, what would get more people riding trials?

I started riding trials because my dad and uncles were into it heavily.. Plus it was so much more fun than mx :wall: The idea of going slow with balance vs fast with luck seemed like a no brainer to me (I tried it a season and ended up here :) )

I continue to ride because I want to get better. I think it's a great feeling of accomplishment when you practice, and the next time you get on the bike you actually can feel you're better than the day before :)

I think more people would ride trials if it were covered more in the news/by tv (at least here in Canada, and the US too). I guess it's not for everyone... but I'm sure there are many people who haven't even heard of trials who would be hooked at the first sight of it! We need more coverage! heh

ohh yes, I ride because it's in my blood (pre mix, 50 to 1) :beer:

I've been a motorcycle guy my whole life. I remember reading in my bike mags about Bernie and the rest back in the mid '70s. I remember back then the speculation was that trials would really take off in the US, the Japanese manufacturers made trials bikes and the boom never happened. So the WR's weren't my very first exposure to the sport, I knew what trials was and thought it seemed cool and all but I never tried it or saw an event until the '04 Duluth WR. When my then 5 year old girl and I went to that event my daughter thought the motorcycles were neat and she wanted to sit on all the kids bikes in the paddock. I thought the bikes were neat too and we both thought the riding was incredible. Josephine especially liked Laia Sanz, I did too! :)

'05 rolls around and I helped setup a few sections and talked alot to Steve Ahlers. Jo and I and many other family and friends watched both days in the rain. I asked Josephine if she wanted to leave because of the rain and she looked at me like I was stupid. Boy was I proud! I knew after this that my KTM's days were numbered. I bought my girl her first bike that summer and traded my KTM for a trials bike in the winter.

Given my love for motorcycles, I knew that I was going to get one for my girl and I considered my choices. If I were to get a MX type bike for her I'd have to make a MX track in my field and worry about all the injury risks associated with MX. If I got a trials bike the injury risk and speed would go down and I could easily make her practice sections as tough or easy as needed without dump trucks full of fill and days on the Bobcat. Simple choice really! Now we can both learn together and she can take it as far as she wants.

I won't turn my back on the NATC but I will do what I can to modify their focus. I think they should be as excited as I am about a US World Champ and should be spending their time and effort on making that a reality within a decade.

This proposal of Lanes is where I begin.

Finally, there are many thing that I'm passionate about with no hope of participating in. The NFL (GO VIKINGS) and Formula 1 (GO KIMI)for example.

Why did you start

I didn't want to die on a road bike! A friend lent me his Scorpa for a day and I was hooked good and proper

Loads of reasons! Escape from the wife and kids for a day, dodge the DIY, have fun whilst exercising, meet up with mates, compete with others, hopefully continue to improve etc.

what would get more people riding trials?

Demo's at MX and road racing venues to entice existing bike riders to have a go, public shows like Crosser and Clarky perform in the UK...

Why did you start

I started riding again early last year after 20 years away after seeing some indoor trials on TV and thinking, this is awesome :)

Why do you continue to ride

Well thats a sore point as since last year I have been plagued with constant injuries. Havent ridden for 5 weeks and wont be for another 4 weeks coz of 2 busted fingers, I may not even bother riding again as the injuries are affecting my work :) Will spend my time instead watching Ross and other riders I may sponsor in the future.

what would get more people riding trials?

Forward thinking people in the right places making it happen !