Where To Start?

thenewboy

Having looked around for some sort of trials school where the bikes are available for hire and only found one in north wales which is a bit of a trek from northumberland it looks like I might just have to sell the trail bike, by a trials bike and see what happens. So I could do with some advice about what to look for. I'm a total beginner and if it makes any difference about 5ft 11 and 16 stone (or 100kg in new money). What CC? 2 stroke or 4? How do they differ within the trials world? What sort of things should I be looking for at 2nd hand trials bikes that I might not look for in any other sort of bike?

Thanks all.

Kev

Edited by thenewboy

Yeh you will prob need a 250 or above, try and get a bike with a seat, obv you know how to ride a bike but in sections and stuff the seat can help you like if you wobble a bit you can sit down, did with me anyway.

I dunno what modern bikes are decent but most people recomend a TY250 as there good for noobs :) good luck and have fun trialing!

I'd say that any of the modern trials bikes from GasGas, Sherco, Beta, Montesa, or Scorpa would have far more capability than you or I'll have for some time. Anything from the late '90s to present I'd say. Make is not a big deal nor is year for the most part, buy based on the condition of the bike more than anything.

Hope this helps.

All the modern 2 stroke trials bikes are pre-mix to the best of my knowledge.

As for 2 or 4 stroke, the modern 4 stroke trials bike was introduced by Montesa/HRC in 2005 I think. Sherco followed with their own 4 stroke soon after, Scorpa makes a 250cc 4 stroke now too. There may be several other small bore 4 strokes out there too.

Unless you're looking for something new or nearly new you'll probably be looking at a 2 stroke. 2 strokes are nice, simple, and easy to work on.

Accually Scorpa introduced a 125 four stroke first I believe.

It's air cooled but has all other aspects modern.

Great little bike.

I competed last month on a 1974 TL 125 stock on the middle line

of a vintage trial and I weight more than you.

I have a Sherco 250 and it's got plenty of power.