Sy Problem

austini

There is one major drawback to a having a Scorpa and that is because the bike flatters your limited riding ability, less points are gained and you find its time to move up a level...... Trouble is you then need ability and rather large appendiges (of which I have none) and damage may and does occure...... For us with limited funds (and a nagging wife) kevlar fork, swingarm and water pump protectors are out so for a mere $15 Aus i've made these bolt ons!!!!

There is one major drawback to a having a Scorpa and that is because the bike flatters your limited riding ability, less points are gained and you find its time to move up a level...... Trouble is you then need ability and rather large appendiges (of which I have none) and damage may and does occure......

Yep, same thing happened to me when I got my Scorpa. It made me look a lot better than I really am. Trouble is the Hard route seems a lot harder!

Ive just got mine and noticed the weak points of the bike for scratching, mainly the frame where your boot rubs. As you have the 04 as do i you can repaint it and it will last about 15mins, ive got the flat bash plate and really like the mod you have done.

I must get one of those rear exhaust protectors, but i just cant bear to shell out

Edited by Nitjay - HRC

The fork and swingarm protectors are 52mm clear poly tube, belive it or not it helps you grip with the heal of your boots for lifting the back.... (the swing arm not the fork protectors)

Will be leaving for a two day trial today, and its been raining all night so that will be the first wet trial of the season ill let you know if the checker plate survives!!!!!!!

thanks for your comments guys

• 2 weeks later...

The only other mod being a better quality oil drain plug to replace the original Yamaha one.

The drain plug in an SY is a Scorpa mod. It's 13mm (I think?), this is (as far as I know) to allow it to be removed from the small hole in the bash plate. The original TYZ plug was/is 17mm.

Edited by boofont

The only other mod being a better quality oil drain plug to replace the original Yamaha one.

The drain plug in an SY is a Scorpa mod. It's 13mm (I think?), this is (as far as I know) to allow it to be removed from the small hole in the bash plate. The original TYZ plug was/is 17mm.

If you spend a few minutes with a die grinder and a carbide burr you can open the hole in the skid plate up so that you can get a socket wrench on the drain plug using an extension. You just have to remove enough metal to give the extension a bit of room.

DW

I did increase the size of hole in the bashplate slightly by using a round file but mainly because the original bashplate hole didn't line up all that well with the drain bolt.

The replacement oil drain bolt has an Allen key head and a copper washer so it's approximately the same size as the original and is very easy to get to and get out.

Edited by Maxi

Any shop that sells quality high-tensile steel bolts.

Match the thread to the existing drain plug bolt (which you will have with you). Ensure the thread goes all the way up the shaft to the bolt head.

Then take it home and cut it to the same length as the original plug making an allowance for a copper washer.

Smooth off by filing or grinding the end of the bolt so that there is no possibility of any off-cuts getting into the motor.

Type of bolt head - allen key or the normal hexagonal style - it's up to you and is only limited by what your local shop stocks.