2004 Cota 315

sir dabs alot

I'm looking at a used Cota 315. Could anyone out there give me any advise on it's ride charachteristics/quirks?

For instance; I think the GGs steer a little bit better than the Shercos, but the Shercos seem to be more reliable.

Are there any traits good or bad that I should consider?

Thanks

The Montesa is more reliable than both of them. They are a little more heavy but, ride just as nice if not better and this is coming from a guy that has a Beta :D If it's in good shape I would get one :D

fantastically smooth ride.. fantastic front break, i would have had another if they had not moved on to 4 stokes, turning circle is not as good as a Beta or a GG, but still a great bike, sold my bike to one of Shaun Morris's mates that was a sponsored rider a few years before i sold it to him, then he fell out with the sport/sponsor for some reason and went on to ride super moto.. think he may have had a change of heart or just wanted some real fun on a trials bke again.

fantastically smooth ride.. fantastic front break, i would have had another if they had not moved on to 4 stokes, turning circle is not as good as a Beta or a GG, but still a great bike, sold my bike to one of Shaun Morris's mates that was a sponsored rider a few years before i sold it to him, then he fell out with the sport/sponsor  for some reason and went on to ride super moto.. think he may have had a change of heart or just wanted some real fun on a trials bke again.

I see in your signature you have a lot of experience with Betas. What differences good and bad have you noticed between the two(Betas and Cotas)?

Thanks

You didn't ask me but, I'll give you my opinion as have also had both bikes :D

First off I think they are both equally good and they are the two bikes I would be happy to own.

The Beta does turn tighter but, with that it does have a tendency to dive to the inside on corners if you are not used to it. The Montesa is much more neutral handling and does nothing weird.

To me the Showa suspension on the Montesa feels better than the Betas though not having the linkage on the Beta is very nice.

I have never been a fan of the Dellorto carbs that the Montesa has though most trials bikes have them except the Beta which has a Mikuni that leaks fuel unless you work on it.

As for it having too heavy of a flywheel weight I didn't feel that and I like both motors.

I always used ELF oil in both bikes and the clutches work smoother in both brands and no sticking with the ELF.

My trials bikes have been

2000-2001 1997 Beta

2001-2002 2001 Montesa

2003-2006 2003 Beta

2006 21/2 monthes 06 Sherco

2006-present 06 Beta

The Montesa is probably a touch more reliable but, I think the two of them are head and shoulders above the rest in reliability. :D

I would buy either bike I found in good shape and at a good price :P

I agree with all of the above , especially the suspension part, if it was a first bike and i had to choose, i would say go for the Mont as everything is so smooth a predictable, you can feel everything that goes on in the bike ,the breaks, suspension, turns are effortless but not as tight, the Beta is a bit stiffer all round and harder, but has a little more throttle punch. I Would only pick 2 bikes and that is a Mont or a Beta and i would not mind which ever i had got.

You didn't ask me but,  I'll give you my opinion as have also had both bikes :D

First off I think they are both equally good and they are the two bikes I would be happy to own.

The Beta does turn tighter but,  with that it does have a tendency to dive to the inside on corners if you are not used to it.  The Montesa is much more neutral handling and does nothing weird.

To me the Showa suspension on the Montesa feels better than the Betas though not having the linkage on the Beta is very nice.

I have never been a fan of the Dellorto carbs that the Montesa has though most trials bikes have them except the Beta which has a Mikuni that leaks fuel unless you work on it.

As for it having too heavy of a flywheel weight I didn't feel that and I like both motors.

I always used ELF oil in both bikes and the clutches work smoother in both brands and no sticking with the ELF.

My trials bikes have been

2000-2001  1997 Beta

2001-2002  2001 Montesa

2003-2006  2003 Beta

2006 21/2 monthes  06 Sherco

2006-present 06 Beta

The Montesa is probably a touch more reliable but,  I think the two of them are head and shoulders above the rest in reliability. :D

I would buy either bike I found in good shape and at a good price :P

I see you didn't keep you Sherco for long. What was the problem with it?

I heard they turned better than those in the past and others have said they do not. What do you think?

I figured someone would ask me about the Sherco, I almost didn't put it up there as one of my bikes :D

First off I am not a brand loyalist, in my garage I have one Chevy & one Ford and I have had all four Japanese bikes and KTM's.I thought I would try something different and the new Sherco's look really cool :D At first I couldn't ride the bike at all until I got taller bars for it then pegs that where lower and further back. Those helped and after about a month I felt I could ride it to my ability. The thing was any time I rode another bike whether it be a Beta, Montesa, or even a Gas Gas they always felt more comfortable mainly do to the fact that to me the pegs just always felt too high on the Sherco and that made me feel unstable. I was going to keep the bike for a full year but, another guy had just got a Beta and didn't like it, I think do to the quick handling so we traded and now we both are very happy :P I have never heard anybody else say the pegs where to high so maybe it is just me :marky: I have ridden a 05 Sherco and the bars do physically turn sharper than the 06 but, the front end is racked in a little more on the 06 so it's a toss up as far as that goes. I did like the motor especially after I dropped the counter shaft by one and put a Keihin carb on it. The power was very smooth and a wide power band :marky:

Hi kbell

I changed from an 02 Scorpa (excellent bike and grossly underrated IMHO) to an almost (brand) new 03 Montesa 315r.

I bought the Montesa because I really liked the look of them, still think the 03 Mont was the nicest looking trials machine yet, IMHO.

Unfortunately my finishing positions suffered (typically around 12th to 36th), now I am not blaming the bike (messers Lampkin, fuji etc. had no bother as I recall!!!), but my advice would be to go along to your local trials events and get talking to some of the guys there, ask for a go you will be surprised how often it works. Every bike rides differently and by this I mean even identical model years etc from the same manufacturer. Find something that suits you and you never know perhaps you could persuade the owner to part with it, there are always bikes for sale at the trials.

I found the transition fron 315 to 4RT extremely easy as the 4RT takes the best parts of the 315 (gorgeous looks, great grip, peerless reliability (usually) and easy riding nature) and expands upon them, it also (again IMHO) takes the bad points of the 315 (engine knock/noise/smoke/temprament, inability to turn and weight, just need to clarify this - neither bike is heavy, most trials riders at my level are carrying extra weight anyway so a few Kg's here or there are meaningless, it is how said weight is distributed, put both bikes on a paddock stand to see what I mean, I reckon the 4RT is better balanced) and improves them also. One thing Montesa/Honda did not address however is the price of spares, although some may argue you get what you pay for, easy to say but not so easy when you are standing holding a piece of single piece rear guard in each hand - that will be

have had my 2003 315r for about a month now after having a 1996 gg jtr 270 for years.

suspension is silky smooth and manuovering the bike is effortless compared to the gg thanks to lightweight ally frame, superb brakes, and balanced handling.

have still got some work to do to get the engine to run as smooth as the gasgas, probably thicker base gasket or different needle. plenty of power but not as linear yet.

generally i found i never really need more than 1st and 2nd gear as the engine revs out so well.

Don't know about that but the 06 rear mudguard has a huge sticker that covers the entire mudguard. Can you really mould plastic and get it as shiny as the 05 mudguard without painting? :wall:

Just for you Ludde, i took my mont out on Sunday and put a large scratch in the back mudguard (using a section rock, and a technique known as "falling flat on my ass"), and can confirm that indeed, it is coloured plastic.

The things i do for you lot.....sheesh :wall: