Advanced?

alan bechard

In a discussion elsewhere on here, we are speaking of the various class names that are used, and hopefully working towards some standardisation. Some people feel it is important, and some not but no matter which side you are on, most folks should be able to give their take on this related, but slightly seperate subject.

What in your opinion, put into words, makes a rider an "Advanced" class rider.

The basis of my opinion is found here in the STRA rules section 3

http://setrialsriders.org/STRA_Rules/STRA%...book%202005.pdf

Unfortunately though, it basicly say's someone that can ride a National Support line.

I would like to put something more into words, that someone from outside trials could relate too, or maybe at least someone familiar with trials, but without having been to a NATC event, can relate too.

Something along the lines of

"should be able to balance and move front and rear wheels through hopping"

"Should be able to successfully cross logs of 3' diameter"

"should be able to accurately place their wheels and know the location of their rear wheel tracks"

I guess I am not sure how to quantify it and put it into words, so I am asking for your assistance. If you could put your thoughts here, or maybe it is already laid out and explained somewhere on the web in a manner that you feel is exceptional, link to it for the rest of us to see.

Thanks for your time.

Ok Al, since nobody else will bite.

The rider should possess sufficient skills, stamina and endurance to successfully complete the event.

Mastery of most basic skills such as Floater Turns, Camber Turns, Double Blips, Zaps, Jumps and Splatters would be required in most cases.

The ability to "HOP" to position the front or rear wheels would be helpful, but not required.

How Bout That! <_<

I think the lack of responses means hardly anybody knows what to say, I know I didn't.

After thinking of it I think copemech is on to it with they should be competent in all the moves as described in our end of the year Trialsport Magazine...Splatter, The ride up, Zap, Holding pressure, Hop, Nose Wheelie, Floater, and wheelie drop, Probably not the Flip turn :P The only other thing I could think of is a Advanced rider should be able to balance for a indefinite amount of time on flat ground.

I like the unicycle thing and now I know what my cousin is talking about when he says he's at level 6 or 7 <_<

I don't think that question can be answered without describing what each of the classes above and below Advance. First, how many classes above and below are there. Pro, Expert, Advance, Intermediate, Novice, Beginner? Would there be more or less. Then you have to work from the bottom and progresively add to expectations to each level. For example;

Beginner: Basic brake, throttle, clutch control and beinging able to balance a bike.

Novice: Above items plus able to:

- accomplish small to moderately steep off camber turns.

- accomplish step ups of up to 2'

- accomplish a turn within a 6' radius

etc.

the fewer the classes above and below the greater in difficulty each class would have defined. The greater the number of classes above and below the more gradual the skill level increases.

thats my two cents.

Fair enough, you must not ride D-4,,,,

By Advanced, I would mean a rider that could negotiate the Support lines in an NATC national. In most clubs the class one or two levels below the top line. As in an STRA Advanced rider

Champ - riders such as The LeRiche brothers

Expert- riders such as Brock Sattlemire and Bill Ibsen riding ES or E NATC lines

Advanced

Sportsman

Intermediate

Novice

Would that help to quantify what I am referring too as an "Advanced" rider?

One point I'd love to bring up. If we used the Advanced or better concept to ride nationals. Jerry Young would not qualify. He rodes intermediate at El Trial last year.

Ya, and I heard some of the guys where he was from laughing that he was riding INT. :) or then again maybe there INT. is like our Sportsman and they thought he was really cherry picking <_<

How about something like: An Advanced rider is one who has proven his skill by being able to compete at the Advanced level in local, regional and national events.

In order to be classified as an Advanced rider they will have had to accumulate enough points to move up from the lower classes to the Advanced class. Points can be accumulated by placing well in local events.

Alan I think this is a critical part of your program, there must be a method to move up a class. 1st place gives you so many points, 2nd so many etc. Look at the file I mentioned earlier, that is how they do it in bicycle racing. You start out as a 5 and when you have accumulated so many points you move up to a 4 and so forth. Some riders never move, they just stay in a class and are happy.

The guys who ride the support lines at the NATC Nationals and take 5's on most of the sections are probably not "Advanced" riders as defined by the NATC. From what I have seen the lines they set up for the support classes are typical Expert class lines in my part of the country.

Wayne

This is for Alan! I know how to solve this whole problem once and for all. You know for sure I'm not an advanced rider Alan, but an intermediate and not worthy of riding with the good guys at the NATC nationals.

Here's the perfect solution, if a rider can't beat me, they cannot ride nationals.

There that's the perfect solution. Hey, I'll even come around the country and let your riders compete against me before they can enter a national. How's that for a smart@ss solution to your advanced rider definition?

I've seen a ton of riders in the NATC nationals, I've spanked big-time. Simply make me the yardstick!

The guys who ride the support lines at the NATC Nationals and take 5's on most of the sections are probably not "Advanced" riders as defined by the NATC.

I saw a lot of this at the TTC/WTC. What possible enjoyment were those riders getting doing that :crying:

This is for Alan! I know how to solve this whole problem once and for all. You know for sure I'm not an advanced rider Alan, but an intermediate and not worthy of riding with the good guys at the NATC nationals.

Here's the perfect solution, if a rider can't beat me, they cannot ride nationals.

There that's the perfect solution. Hey, I'll even come around the country and let your riders compete against me before they can enter a national. How's that for a smart@ss solution to your advanced rider definition?

I've seen a ton of riders in the NATC nationals, I've spanked big-time. Simply make me the yardstick!

You wouldnt show.....

OK, I will tell you what Lane, I suck, cannot ride for nothing, you are the Man, the Myth, the Yardstick by which I must be measured :crying: You will be at the Youth Nationals, and So will I, so I get my opportunity there to see if I measure up and am allowed to compete in National events.

You staying for the TDN benefit July 4th? We can see if a poor pathetic fat guy like me can measure up. If you will be traveling I am sure we can work out a straight heads up event one day during the week. (I won't be there Tue and Wed)

Looking forward too it.

Oh, and added on edit,,,,, smart@ss or put up or shut up... either one is about the same too me.

Edited by Alan Bechard