19" Rear Tyres

oldford02

Hi - I'm new to the forum and new to the pre '65 movement. Saw the demo at the Historic motor sport show and it re-awakened old urges. I've acquired an unmolested '59 Francis barnett Trials 83, which needs new tyres. I can't find a 19" trials tyre anywhere. Millers advised me to build a new wheel with an 18" rim. Is this the only way?

Any help would be appreciated

post-2644-1148891401.jpg

Hello

Welcome aboard. <_< No need to rebuild wheels :stoned:

There's a guy that sells 19" trials tyres on Ebay for 30 quid each. He has some on there at the moment. Do a search for Item number: 8069837118 "NEW TRIALS TYRE, 2.75 X 19". He may be able to supply wider ones for the rear.

Good luck. UB

:P

Edited by unclebuck

It depends what your purpose is, if you just want a Sunday ride out in a trial go for a cheap 19" tyre. However 95% of your pre-65 competitors will be on IRC/Michelin soft compound and the sections are laid out as such.

If you want to be competitive, and enjoy yourself more you need the right tyres. I spent my first few trials battling around on some knackered tyres and it was hard work, switched to IRC's and it was much more enjoyable.

You will be ok in dry trials but they are few and far between in the UK.

Thanks for the excellent response. The general concensus is to make an 18" wheel. I have found a genuine Frannie barnett hub which is 36 spoke. Any recommendations for a rim and a wheelbuilder?

It still leaves me the problem of finding any sort of 19" trials tyre for the original wheel - Ill keep on looking

Thanks again

Geoff

It still leaves me the problem of finding any sort of 19" trials tyre for the original wheel - Ill keep on looking

Have seen some 19" wheeled trials bikes with speedway Barums, these are not trials tyres persae but have a very similar pattern and will look the part if the bike is to be ridden or shown at a vintage rally. Dont expect the same grip as a 2006 Michelin/Dunlop or similar but then again when your bike was new radials were a figment of a tyre designers imagination and most riders probably used what they could find.

i'm told that michlin and dunlop have dropped the tubed tyre fron thier ranges so go straight for a tubeless rim and save some money that you'd probably have to spend in a couple of years as tubed tryes run out

yes i know some clubs dont like tubed tyres but hey whose ever looked at your tyres whoses ever been turned away or even asked to change them..

I presume that a tube will still work OK inside a tubeless tyre even although there are re-inforcing bands in them?

John

I confirm this is the case - I cant be bothered sending off for a tube type tyre & paying a fortune for postage - hence I buy tubeless ones locally.

I finally found a Dunlop 19" at www.vintagetyres.com

Tel: 01590 612261. It will get me through an MOT and preserve the bikes originality. I have also acquired an 18" Akront rim through the somewhat eccentric route of buying a knackered Montesa Cota 200 - Anyone interested in some Montesa bits? - I have most things now except the rims!! I've got to get rid of it quickly before the wife finds out.

<_<

I haerd that as well about the tube type rears being axed. I presume that a tube will still work OK inside a tubeless tyre even although there are re-inforcing bands in them?

Actually the Pre-65 Scottish 2 Day specifically precludes the use of tubeless tyres!

Big John

A tubeless tyre is slightly smaller than a tube type. They do go on but always have a tendancy for the tyre to lose its location and drop into well of the rim as soon as low pressures are used. If you ever get a tubeless front, they are just about impossible to get to stay on a tube type rim. Those that get a tubeless tyre to stay on a tubed rim use a grinderette to'relieve' the tyre a little before its fitted.

To run my BSA scrambler on the street (and limited trail) I found a set of old pattern 19" Dunlop trials universals which are/were in reproduction. They fit the original Dunlop Chrome steel rims ...but an update to alloy rims and an 18" rear would certainly allow more selection for anyone so concerned. I also found a 19" "Nitto" Dunlop clone tire (sorry ..tyre!) more recently but any of these are really not competition trials tires and no substitute for the 18" radial type I use on my HT5. Changeing sizes is probably the only option for those so inclined.

JimHunterBBQ10.JPG

looks like there some serious polishing goes on in that garage huntmaster how i dream of that level of tidiness and a clear floor in my humble workshop, having just cut up a trailer and sold 1 and a half bikes i can now walk around and touch all four walls

regrettably her indoors has stuck her head through the door ( the last time she showed any intereat was to tell me we were having another baby!) and declared that the 'north end' should be cleared for the BBQ and garden furniture. thank fully i hope that a steamboat will be filling that space soon so the furniture can stay where its supposed to in the garden..

looks like there some serious polishing goes on in that garage huntmaster how i dream of that level of tidiness and a clear floor in my humble workshop,
No such luck in my case. My bike was only a guest in that pristine shop full of classic bikes on that occasion. Things at home are unfortuately a little more cluttered!

Good luck with the F-B project.