Beta 125 Tuning

fordson major

you can put a flatside carb onto it which makes it rev cleaner apparently and also a high compression head, you may also be able to get a ignition system which has a different power curve but not sure. you could ring up someone that has a beta 125 or ring a dealer and ask them

we had the factory test our bike while here in the usa...ok we have some juice for ya..you need a able round grinder..and a talent for buffing and grinding..

ok we take a stock exhaust gasket..open up the exhaust to match gasket open the end of exhaust port of the cylinder to the exhaust. take 25 thousanths off head to raise compression. we use the stock dell 'orto carburator with a 103 main jet and a 42 pilot clip up one spot on needle..add v force reed system

runs awsome much cleaner than std and adds alot of power all through the rev range bottom to top . Ignitions are a factory deal we tried the factory one but had mixed results.. i think you will be pleased with these mods .. just make sure you have a competant person do it for you .. Reeds are available in the usa for 140 usd.. they make a big differance .. we also change the choke jet to a much bigger size cant remember the number right now.. The factory boys really liked our mods .. really liked them.. here attached is a pic. of our RCS 125...

post-175-1148941132.jpg

Rasing the performance of a 125c Beta as proven by dyno checks fall along some of the following modifications.

The idea is to get more air into the engine as it is basically a pump, then allow it to breath and run out in RPM"S.

We have had much succes with the following.

Leave the stock head alone, machining it changes the squish band angle. It is a well known fact in motocross tuning circles that raising the compression by removing metal from the head only gives you a boost in the mid range. It also tightens up the engine from running out at higher RPM"S.

Remove approximatly the thickness of the base gasket from the jug, which in turn will lower the ports, this will provide more bottom end and will raise the compression.

We now have to get the exaust port to open sooner to get back the high end RPM"S.

This equates to machining the exaust port out to open up sooner. Matching or blue printing the exaust port to the the gasket as Ron has mentioned is vital.

Since there is less vacuum due to the smaller cylinder the same 26mm carb does not flow correctly. A smaller bore carb such as the MIkuni 24mm flat slide will provide a much needed flow correction.

This smaller carb will also boost the bottom end.

If you realy want to increase the higher RPM's then a crank case stuffer will raise cranckcase pressure forcing the mixture up and out of the cases when the exaust port opens.

To many tricks to type here for bringing a 125cc Beta to life. The goal is not RPM alone on a 125cc but being able to back of the throttle under load and then get back on the power, without reving the crap out of the engine as one has to do with a 125cc. These mods alows this to happen. Keep in mind just like the 250cc bikes what works for works riders does not always work for the average Joe.

We ride in much lower gears and do not rev the bike as they do.

The Beta is probably the best tuning bike of all the 125cc Trials bikes for these tricks.

BillyT <_<

WE WHO !!!!!!!!

ps... Billy the new 125 engine is built square and the old engine you were familiar is completely different .. changing the base gasket alone does not change the compression enough.. the 24 mm carb does not work..maybe for a novice but not for the wct or nationalexpert class .. times and engines have changed a million miles since the engines you worked with....

Edited by Ron

I've e-mailed JLI and they say they have a race kit for 100quid + vat which consists of a modified middle box with new jets to suit.

Has anyone tried this?

Cheers

Rob

Yeah one of my friends round the road from where I live had this mod done at the SSDT from JLI. He rode a 05 125 standard for a year, he then got a 06 125 which he thought there was an improvement, but he wanted just wanted a bit more from the bike.

He took it to john and got new jets, new middle box and got the timing advanced. I have to say I thought there was and improvement myself, revs out my better and cleaner. I would say its well worth going for.

Gavin

Ron

The bike I just worked on is a 2006 model. Standard HP was 15 raised to 20 when finnished.

Not bad as standard HP for a 250 is 21HP.

"the 24 mm carb does not work..maybe for a novice but not for the wct or nationalexpert class .."

I think I stated that in my e-mail,the guy asking the question I think is not a world class or national rider.

Guys, I have every respect for Ron jr + snr, every tuner has their own way of doing things so this is not a reflection of Ron's post but rather another qualified tuners opinion. Opinions are like buts we all have them.

Respectfully

BillyT

<_<