Ty250 Clutch

twhy

Please can anybody tell me if it is possible to lighten a ty250 t/s clutch by removing 3 springs has anybody done this on this bike with success? or what about putting a lighter set of springs in, if so which ones ?.

Any help would be helpful.

cheers.

If you are asking about a twin shock Yamaha TY250 clutch, beware of reducing the clamping force because they don't have much margin to begin with. If you are serious about getting a light action, fit aftermarket kevlar (Barnett) plates if available so that you can safely reduce the clamping force by a worthwhile amount without causing slippage. This works wonders on Bultaco Sherpas. I reckon the TY250 twinshock clutch action is quite light if set up and lubricated properly so I haven't bothered modifying any of mine.

David Lahey

Australia

I've got a 74 TY250 if that's what you are refering to. Cable pull clutch. It was stiff, even after the new cable, so I put on an "easy clutch". There's a few companies that make them. Mine was made by O-neal. It goes between the cable and the lever perch. It's a small triangular mechanism that gives more mechanical advantage via a small internal lever. It's small not too expensive ( I think mine was $39 U.S.) and it really works. You can put them on any bike that has a cable type clutch. My buddy has one on his daughters Amigo and it really helps. The clutch on my 47 TY is a one finger pull now just about as good as the hydraulic clutches. I've included a pic of one.

On the later TY's 84,85, 86 monoshock, we used an aluminum clutch lever extender. It bolted onto the end of clutch lever actuator where it came out of the engine, then the cable attatched to it. It basically lengthened the lever, giving you more mechanical advantage too.

I've used both, and both work without having to mess with the clutch plates. The weight of oil that you use makes a difference. Maxima 75 wt light transmission fluid helps too. A lot of guys use ATF, but I prefer the Maxima.

post-17-1077220671.jpg

Edited by Ridgrunr