New Beta Owner...

slapshot 3

Another Beta convert,

got a 02(by frame number)250 and need some advice in setting it up properly for me, if you guys on here can oblige. (all I know is twinshock 4 strokes so the incompetence level may be high :wacko: .... )Bike is absolutley immaculate and has been very well looked after, I want to do the same.

Simple one first Premix: told 50:1 ratio but Lampkin's site suggests 70:1 what does everyone else use, which is the best oil, I know I need a Semi-Synthetic type but which, PJ1, Silkolene, Ipone, Repsol????

Rear suspension: It's set up for a guy weighing 11st, I'm significantly heavier than that :D what do I do, is it a simple case of lengthening the spring or shortening it with the two nut type things at the top of the shock or more complicated.

Front Suspension: need to change the seals, only minor problem with the beast however worried I make a complete B*****ks of these fancy forks. I've seen the advice on JL's site regarding air gaps (?) however from own knowledge, how much oil goes back in and what weight 5, 10, 15 (?). If I unscrew the bolt on the bottom of the leg to take the slider out is it going to drop lots of bits with it? Do I make them a little stiffer just by changing the weight of the oil (always used 5wt up till now).

Like I said thick :D , I'd rather get these bits right. Are there any other foibles I need to be wary of?? Any help is much appreciated and if anyone has an exploded diagram parts list that would be great as well,

Ta

Donald

my dealer said for everyday use by joe public 70ml per 5litres is spot on

us the best oil you can buy locally i use ipone

as for the suspension i saw gary from lampkins at the ssdt changing fork seals in under 5 minutes.. leg out of yokes then he disappears into van and reappears a couple of minutes later with new seals in leg, anything could have happened in van!!

my dealer said for everyday use by joe public 70ml per 5litres is spot on

us the best oil you can buy locally i use ipone

as for the suspension i saw gary from lampkins at the ssdt changing fork seals in under 5 minutes.. leg out of yokes then he disappears into van and reappears a couple of minutes later with new seals in leg, anything could have happened in van!!

Even fixed all the scratches in the fork leg too, made it look just like a new one.

WWWOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWW :thumbup::thumbup:

Just been out to play on the Beta. :D:D

That thing is amazing :o , I don't think in all my years I've ever stepped onto a bike that's so easy to ride. Power delivery is so smooth, but when it needs to it comes in hard, grip is superb and the suspension is out of this world.

Point it at something, roll open the throttle and it'll climb anything...why didn't I get one of these years ago :wub::wub:

Nup, won't change it, still love strokers and am on the look out for a nice Pre 65 project, c15/b40 or a cub (but don't tell anyone yet, Mrs Slapshot will kill me if she catches me even thinking about that this soon!!!!).

Apart from that, you always need a bit of innuendo on here as well :thumbup:

Edited by Slapshot 3

• 3 weeks later...

sounds a happy fella!!

what set up are you running... flywheel weight on or off, fast or slow action throttle?

just interested as out of the 6 Beta's i ride with regulaly i don't think any has the same set up!!

Speaking of set-up , I'd be interested to know whether people mess about setting up suspension . I was thinking of having a play with different suspension set-ups but I suppose no suspension setting will feel right if you're used to the way your bike is currently set (mine is set as standard from the box on my 2006 Beta 125).

Rob :thumbup:

sounds a happy fella!!

what set up are you running... flywheel weight on or off, fast or slow action throttle?

just interested as out of the 6 Beta's i ride with regulaly i don't think any has the same set up!!

Okay,

Had a wee look last night when I cleaned her after the weekend.

No flywheel weights that I can see. White throttle body, I think thats the quick action one, I probably wouldn't know the difference anyway.

Suspension: Mines is "heavily" alterted to cope with my substantial physical problems........I'm a fat git...so preload turned up high both front and rear, back end stiffened up a bit more on the compression damping as well, seems to work okay, didn't bottom out over the weekend but its still nice and pliant, Tyres don't know what's recommended especially with a tubeless rear however I've got a 5 in front and 7 in back, again seems to work okay

Can't think of much else

If you look at the '06 Rev3 manual it doesn't mention anything about setting the preload on the rear shock but goes into some detail about both preload and damping on the forks. It mentions setting the rear damping screw for "fast" or "slow and controlled" shock action but nothing else. Weird.

I've followed the instructions and set the front precomp and damping and rear damping as recommended for my weight and riding style (useless fat git) and it seems to work fine. I've yet to bottom either end although I don't do many 6' drop-offs!

When I've finished rebuilding my old '03 and got it on eBin I might go through the "proper" setup procedure as detailed on GasGas USA's web site (the information is bike-agnostic) but until then I ain't gonna worry too much about it.

Edited by neonsurge