Sheared Steering Stem

rev. victor

Had a mild crash over the weekend on my 99 321 TXT. Was a tough section but not terribly dramatic. After going down I realized something was amiss with the steering. I looked down and saw that my top triple clamp was about 1/2" forward of where it should be. A closer examination revealed the steering stem had sheared off right above the top bearing. My question is this a weak spot for GG? Other than staying upright anything I should do to not repeat this?

The steering stem is intended to shear before the forks or frame get bent. Instead of forking out big $$$ for new frame or new fork tubes, the steering stem is relatively cheap and easy to replace. Yes making a steel one would probably stop it shearing in a similar crash but if you want a trials bike to weigh 65kg, easily damaged chassis parts are part of the deal. Alternatively the same part could be made from titanium at huge expense but who would want to pay megabucks for a trials bike that was slightly more crashproof?