Pressure Required

dfwilson

I put a new tube in the front tire on my 03 SY-250 and pumped it up to 35 psig but the tire did not seat on the rim. The tire is rated for 35 psig. How much pressure does it usually take to seat a tire? Does the front tire pop like the rear tire when it seats? How high a pressure is safe?

Thanks

Doug Wilson

put a bit of soapy water around the bead then inflate too anything up too around 75psi the tyre will easily take it and when it pops on the bead I usualy leave it at that pressure for a couple of minutes then deflate too around 35 over night and then put too your prefferd pressure

Barry :thumbup:

When i put my bike to have some work i asked the shop to re-seat my tire cause it had slipped off the rim on one side. when i got the bike they said the tire was at 80psi with no trouble they said leave it at that pressure till the next trial to have a better chance of stayin on the rim when i ride it next! 80psi must be fine they no there stuff and have been doing this stuff for years!

hope this helps! :thumbup:

Cheers

p.s my tire is a tubed michelin. :thumbup:

Not too sure what happens but it is a fairly common problem, I've had it a few times. The rims are not a high precision thing as you might think and the tyres, tube type, also. If the tolerence between the two is slack unlike the rear where there is a positive step the front will keep dropping off and keep doing it at lower pressures. Try the high pressure thing and lets us know if it works, but I doubt lube will help it stay on.

I fitted a Michelin tubeless to the rear of my Bultaco Sherpa 199B (with a tube fitted) and have had no problems with the seating of the tyre. I can run it at 4psi quite happily. So I decided to fit one to the rear of my Beamish Suzuki. I duly bought another tubeless as tubed versions are now obsolete. This fitted and seated OK (at about 70psi) but every time I deflated the tyre, at about 8psi the bead kept dropping back into the well of the rim due to the slightly smaller diameter of the tubeless tyre across the bead. I have now bought an IRC tubed type. However this tyre, when deflated to 3-4psi, allowed the inner tube to creep inside the tyre. It wasn't tyre/rim movement as I marked them. So I run it at 6psi and there is no moving. The tyre is so flexible there is ample 'squash'. I will be using IRC now in preference to Michelin.

I just mounted a Dunlop 803 front last night on my 315R, cleaned the beads on the rim with a stainless steel brush, mounted the tire on the rim with no tire irons or lubricant, inflated to 45 psi and bounced it a few times on the floor and it seated fine.

Mounted the 803 rear tonight, cleaned the bead as above, liberally sprayed Windex Glass Cleaner on the tire beads and mounted it on the rim, sprayed the beads again, wrapped the tire with a ratcheting tied down, sinched it up and inflaated with the valve core out of the stem. Inflated (took air right away), deflated, sprayed more Windex on the one section not seating, installed valve stem and inflated to about 85 psi still didn't seat, bounced it a few times, no luck, ran the pressure up to about 100 psi and POP!

Not having mounted trials tires before and after reading a few posts I was expecting a fight tonight. The tires are a pleasure to work with compared to some knobs.

Doug,

Had this trouble with my 2003 Scorpa.

It was very frustrating as no matter how many times it was reseated with high amounts of air pressure one side would continually slip down to give that buckelled wheel effect.

Ended up removing tyre and fitting tube ,then inflating to balloon the tyre,left it stretched for a couple of days,refitted ,worked a treat.

As the other guys indicated, up to 80 psi seems to do the job of beading with out any problems.

Thanks all for the information.

Nigel I took the tire back off the rim and cleaned the rim with brake cleaner. I cleaned the tire bead with alcohol. I assembleld everything back together (no lubricant) and the tire seated at about 60 psi. It didn't pop but the mold line on the tire just outside the rim evened out like what I would expect on a pedal bike tire. I will leave it overnight at 35 psi and see how it does at 7 psi tomorrow evening.

Doug Wilson

Edited by dfwilson