Question About 'youth Nationals...'

sting32

Question,

To me, the name "youth Nationals" invokes the same thoughts as I have about "USA National Rounds" meaning that it is geared toward the best of the best youths congregating at Tennessee, to battle it out.

So should I assume this is what they want & are promoting, or is it more of a "should be calling it" the Youth Invitational? Where yeah, I'd expect like anything else that people who think the kid is good enough to waste the family vacation time & dollars, to let Jr compete... But could just be "everyone" has go, we have fun, outing? Don't get me too wrong, I hear it is a great time, for the kids, especially the other activities, but I AM concerned with the TRIALS and those aspects. After all, Branson Missouri is in our back yard so to speak compared to TN.

Where would a 12 year old, middle pack novice class, kinda timid boy ride in Tennessee?

I myself have never been to a "nationals" yet, I have heard & read the stories, and stuff almost my whole life thou... I'm 40, and this year my dad finally did it, competed in a nationals at age 70, I am so proud, but saddened that My life was, well tied up, I was unable to go with him this year... I wont be able to wait until I'm 70 to go with my son, LOL.

Edited by Sting32

Hmmmm, not sure how to answer your questions, and to be honest, not really sure what all your questions are.

You should review here probably,

http://www.trialstrainingcenter.com/html/events.html

This is my perspective though.

The Youth Nationals technically is the 3 day event coming up. It is three seperate days of competition for Youth here in the US. The three seperate competions are each awarded finishing points, and then the youth in that age group with the most points is the overall winner (of that age group) for the "Youth Nationals"

There is also a "Youth Camp" the week prior to the YN. Many of us kind of roll that camp into the deal when we refer to the YN. So the things we talk about, trip to the farm, swiming at the falls, Canoe trip, fireworks, etc. etc. are Technically part of the Youth Camp, but to me it all just gets rolled in together.

As to a timid 12 year old mid pack novice, he would ride the line appropriate for his age (lines in the Youth National are primarily based on age) There is a bit of difficulty as I am sure you are aware from the other posts here on this board defining what a "mid pack Novice" means. Or in any way quantifying riding levels when you travel outside your club. A 12 year old (Jan 1st of the year) would ride line 2. You may find line 2 a little tough. My daughter rides line 2 and she is a good Int rider (one level above Nov in STRA) or a bottom of the pack Sportsman (level above Int in STRA) You and your child alwas have the choice of riding Exhibition and riding "out of class" such as if you go look at the line 2, and think, no way, that scares the beejeebus out of me, they can ride down a class as E. For example my daughter should ride line 1 by age, but is not at that level. It would not be safe, nor would it be fun for her to compete on the 1 line. She will ride womens class, but in years past where there was only 2 days of womens competition, she would ride exhibition line 2 as that was appropriate for her skill level.

The best part too me about the YN, and again, it is probably actually more the preceeding camp, is that there is a large group of youngsters that get to interact with each other, and ride with each other, and push each other forward. There is some group dynamic there that gets the kids to do stuff, and to progress far quicker then when they are around just adults.

If you could only do one part, the Youth Camp provides some great benefit to the kids. I would really suggest though that you do both as the competition lets your child evaluate where they are in comparison to others of the same age from across the country.

As to the Youth Invitational, I guess I do not get your frame of reference. Consider yourself, and your child personnally invited to come down and join us and have a great time, while improving their trials skills and meeting some great folks.

As much as we talk about the fun that we have the competition level is very high. I noticed last year as the competition started the kids where a lot more serious and the kids I had joked with a day or two earlier didn't hardly even see me as they walked the sections and I did the same with my son.

As for how good they are we have two twelve year olds coming from California and one rides advanced and the other the class just above advanced. I know last year I was surprised to see how tuff the #1 and the #0 line where.

That brings up another question for me though. What is more prestigious for a kid, the NATC nationals or the youth nationals. The youth nationals get more coverage in trials comp. (I should know my son has gotten more than his fair share of pictures) Yet the NATC nationals are not broken down into so many classes and include more trials. I showed horses as a kid and we kind of had the same deal where we had a national show that all the best came to and if you won that one big class you where national champion but, if you had a bad go that day you may get beat by somebody not as good. Then they had a year end award and if you got the most points in a year you could be #1 in the nation, the thing was if you hauled to more shows or lived in a bigger state you could get more points. I never could figure out which was more prestigious and fortunately I as was able to win both. Now I wonder the same thing about this which would the kids rather win.

We are leaving tonight for the YN as it takes a while to get there from CA. with three small kids so hope to see you all there :thumbup:

[As for how good they are we have two twelve year olds coming from California and one rides advanced and the other the class just above advanced. I know last year I was surprised to see how tuff the #1 and the #0 line where.

/quote]

As Allan said 12 yr olds ride line 2. Unless they toughen up line 2 from last year or what you call advanced and above advanced in callafornia is not has tough as advanced and above advanced in the central U.S. I can see whoever makes only one silly little mistake losing to the other. Which brings me to another question are the lines too easy driving up to 2000 miles and turning in a 0 for the day doesnt sound like much of a challenge. It happened in at least one day in at least one class both of the last two years.

Theres plenty for a timid 12 yr old to do line 3 exhibition ought to be right for a mid pack novice. I hear the school and camp is great but have been unable to go because even though im fairly close it would be a 10 day trip. If they ever change it to where there is not a 2 day break between the school and the event i might be able to swing that.

I also have a 12 yr old since we only ride 1 maybe 2 events a year besides the YN we really look foward to the youth nationals and kinda are addicted to it. its the highlight of the year.

The problem though (as when setting any event) is to find the right level of difficulty.

Because there are some kids scoring clean rides, does not mean that the level missed, (many times it means that the kids competing that age bracket are excellent) it is one of the downfalls of having an age based Youth Nationals. One of those same children (line 2)also competed his first regular National event at the last event (TTC National round). Some of the age brackets have some really excellent riding kids in them that could ride more difficult lines, but as this event is set around age, that is the appropriate line for them to compete on.

I would call line 2 about the level that we would call about Sportsman in STRA, maybe with some Advanced in there.

Line 1 I would call STRA Advanced, with maybe some expert stuff thrown in as well (right at the top of my skill level maybe above)

Line 0 (highest line) I would say STRA expert / champ type sections. The likes of Pat Smage, Louise Forsley, Cody Manning, Alex Bedley find themselves challenged and competing there.

Line 0 (highest line) I would say STRA expert / champ type sections. The likes of Pat Smage, Louise Forsley, Cody Manning, Alex Bedley find themselves challenged and competing there.

Whoa Alan... Did you say Pat Smage challenged by the zero line? Can I sign him up.

Hmm, probably poorly said on my part.

But yes, in my opinion Pat should sign up.

Added on edit,

I was thinking along the lines of the times when pat rode / competed in the event, as in, these folks have come up, and competed at this event.

To see the last 2 years results, and the names associated with them, go here.

http://64.112.136.190/youth/

Possibly there will be someone that you recognize (back to Stings question about levels) and you can extrapolate their score, and their lines against your childs abilities. Do remember that the youngsters abilties at the years event that you are looking at on the link, has probably improved somewhat to the present time.

Edited by Alan Bechard

I would like to mention that the 0 or (open ) line is the hardest route and can be ridden by kids that are perhaps above their typical age bracketing in skill so most anyone should be able to find a level that fits them. That is the great part , if a beginner and old enough that the line is tougher you go Exhibition and have fun but no title chase ,If a bit better than average jump in open (not sure if they have a minimmum age for that or a clerk of course decision ) Anyway its a great event and yes quite a few cleans and a very spectator friendly small loop. We are shooting to get there and ride the bicycle event then train a week do another bike event ride a week then do the local STRA rounds hope it stays below 100 degrees too.

Ha! Hell I got really busy at work this week, almost forgot that I finally posted this question on here, even though I edited it 20 times in "notepad"...

Thanks for the insights.

My question was round about way asking, what level of a rider (in youth) are we working on at this thing... and slightly questioning what is it targeted at? (because I didn't realize the part about the week long "camp" even though I may well have been told that at one time or another. ooops.

so how are the ages broken up? he'll be 13 next year, but in April before the nationals not jan1. Oh wait I can read that part probably at the rules at TTC...

Edited by Sting32

sting 32

They go by the age as of jan 1 2006 which i think in your case would be 11 however the 11 year olds still ride line 2 which would be fairly simimular to the amatuer class at the central regionals (maybee just a small bit harder) not any more dangerous possibly a little more technical. He could ride exhibition line 3 not be eligible for trophies. line 3 seems to me to be equal to central regional novice. Its a fantastic place to ride riding in the afternoon and plenty of other things for kids to do a real family atmosphere. And as in any trials event ive been to a fun bunch to hang out with. If you go look me up ill be in cabin 3 ??? i think. ariving friday morning

• 2 weeks later...

I believe the youth national championship is more than just the competition, it's a week long family camp on trials bikes! Most kids and the adults just love the week.

Is it expensive? Yes, but any week long family vacation is. You can only decide if the vacation is worth the price by going. Every year we ask ourselves, why don't we go to to Hawaii? It costs about the same and we could stay in a 5 star hotel insted of being hot and dirty all week long.

I believe only by going can you decide if it's worth the cost! This year I asked Daniel several times, are you sure you really want to go? He insisted that yes he did! It's a huge expense in time and money before during and after the competiton to attend. Even more expenseive if you are trying to win but that's your choice how serious you want to get. So a lot of the expense is really up to you!

Yes the competition is tough, don't kid yourself. It's not much fun if your trying to win but that's your decision to put that much pressure on yourself! If you don't care about your results, you will have a blast competing, because you can ride whatever line you please but if you come to be US champion, Hey, things can get a little tough depending on your class!

Think of it as college prep to a certain extent! Some of these kids will be the future US Olympic and TDN trials team! Only by going and testing the water can your son or daughter decide if they want to chase that goal.

Now I'm going back to lurking agian!

My girls who dont ride had a blast want us to go to the whole week next year which ill probly not have the time or money for. Lane thats the best post youve ever had pretty it sums up a great week.

I'll make an announcement now that for next year we will have additional "YOUTH OPEN" classes to include advanced, intermediate, and novice classes for any youngster so that every child who is interested will be encouraged to compete. When we started this event 7 years ago, the focus was on a youth championship. We will maintain the excitement and challenge of the youth national championships and will maintain the age based championship with sections to challenge the top riders in each age level. But now with the popularity of the family camp we hope to continue to encourage participation in the competition by all youth riders and their families, even if the youth's skill level is not yet at a championship level. We'll have an additional announcement during the off season.

Also worth noting that the RV sites are already booked for next year, and I didn't even officially pick the date yet! July 4 holiday is on a Wednesday in 2007, so the camp will be that week with the competition to follow on July 6-8.

Check out photos on our website and look for a great story in next month's Trials Competition magazine.

dan

www.trialstrainingcenter.com

p.s., lots of families are apparently planning an informal get-together during Thanksgiving; everyone's welcome!

Most of them are still up, Bicycle Trial National and World Championship qualifier event this weekend so some may be moved. Then we'll use many of the same areas for the vintage trial in a couple weeks.

dan