Scots Suport England

g4321

I think half the problem is plain old jealously. There was a big World Cup party out in Germany and Scotland weren't invited, as it was for the World's best footy teams.

The majority of us (barring the odd muppet), the problem isn't with the England football team or the English people, it's the English Media. It's hyped up beyond all belief and, as we share the same media, rammed down our throats left, right and centre.

We're Scottish and we admit we're crap at football. On the odd occasion we do qualify, it's just an excuse to go down the pub with our mates to watch the game. We know we haven't a snowball's chance in hell of winning. You lot actually get sucked in by the media hype and BELIEVE. Sooner you admit to yourselves that your team perhaps isn't quite as good as the press would have you believe, the easier it will be to come to terms with losing.

You have to believe your team, whether it is football or any other sport, is going to win and be passionate about it. Even if logic tells you otherwise. Life would be boring if we just thought lets cheer England onto a quarter final defeat, half the fun is thinking, ' Yes we are going to win the World Cup'. Okay your dreams are smashed but at least you had them.

Football is over hyped by the media, but I don't recall that the media honestly though we would do much better than what we actually did.

The thing is if Scotland had been playing in the quarters a great number of English people would have genuinely supported them.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

We all want Doug to win again but if we were all to be honest with ourselves, given equal odds on him and Raga where would our cash go? Same thing, deep down everyone knew England weren

Edited by boofont

Can't ever remember reading anything similar in The Sun or should that be English Sun? It just stirs up trouble but it sells papers, and that's all that matters to some.

I think if Scotland wants to move forward as an independent country it has to loose this hatred. How can it take its self seriously in Europe and the rest of the world if the countries population is behaving like savages?

When England lost to Portugal a friend of mine was in Grantown on Spey, he heard an individual say "Great, the f*&!ers are out of the competition!" Shocking! If everyone in Scotland hates the English so much then why don't they all speak the natural tongue of Gaelic rather than English!

From above:

The "English Sun" and the Hitler/anti German stuff a few years ago round another wendyball tournament, we all do it, not just the Scots

Every country has a few nutters who take the banter too far, it's always the same. Similar situation around the Welsh and Rugby, best mate is Welsh and holds the theory don't care who wins as long as they beat England, basically, don't tar us all with the same brush.

Gaelic was outlawed, like the wearing of Tartan, Scots carrying weapons, etc, etc as part of the treaties around the 1707 Act of Union between England and Scotland and following Culloden, 1746, the language and it's speakers were ruthlessly persecuted.

I have no personal gripes with English people, I married a woman from an English family (the accent fooled me :thumbup: ) but there are times when the old, historic rivalry comes out whether you like it or not. We are not all the same

Can't speak for everyone but i just don't believe that (the majority) of us were sucked in by the media's hype. We just wanted to win..simple as that. If the scots want to take the pi$$ then fine...i happy knowing that my national team is better than Angola...not something you could say in scotland though?

I used to cheer on wales, Ni and the other lot but have to be honest this times has got up my nose so i'll play by the scottish rules instead

What you should'nt confuse is the desire or hope to do well for the the arrogance of thinking or believing we were going to win

my tenpennath for what its worth

The difference between the Scottish Fans and team from the English team / fans / press is that it is not the winning but the taking part that counts. have a look at the behaviour of the English team in their lst match - 22 fouls, 1 sending off compared to 10 fouls from the oposition. - does that make you proud?

If the rare occasion occurs that Scotland does qualify for the World Cup how many of the Scots fans would be classed as potential troublemakers and be forced to hand in their passports - not a lot! There would be little or no need for police spotters to ideftify potentil troublemers at a match either.

Perhaps its just that Scots (also Welsh, Irish and Manx - all in UK) are staunchly proud of their countries heritage and don't want to lose it - nothing riles us more than being called English, many seem to be using England as a synonym for Britain, be it press or TV or tourists to the country (English tourists included).

Perhaps when Boofont has been in the North East for another 8 years he will lose his accent, wear a kilt and start putting the Saltire on his bike / helmet - then again, perhaps not. He should look at himself as a potential missionary in a foreign land???

I did when i was unfortunate enough to live South of the border, then again Mr B is fortunate enough to be living in Scotland so I guess he is gradually erning the way of a civilised country.......................

If the rare occasion occurs that Scotland does qualify for the World Cup how many of the Scots fans would be classed as potential troublemakers and be forced to hand in their passports - not a lot! There would be little or no need for police spotters to ideftify potentil troublemers at a match either.

But scotland don't send 85,000 fans to the world cup do they? and also, the English numbers arrested didnt even make 0.1% of that total. Again its the Media (english mainly) trying to make a big story as per usual out of nothing. The british press needs sorting as well as the refs! :thumbup:

The majority of us (barring the odd muppet), the problem isn't with the England football team or the English people, it's the English Media.

Yeah - when I wear my England top round my wifes village they're always muttering "****in' English Media"

It's hyped up beyond all belief and, as we share the same media, rammed down our throats left, right and centre.

I've read the Scottish papers, it's the same ****3 the other way round. "The cynics may scoff that a youngster from Dunblane cannot possibly win the world's premier tennis tournament but Murray has the ability to prove them all wrong.

Support for him is growing and he has proudly worn his Scottish Saltire wristbands on court throughout the tournament. That is despite the fact English football fans have criticised him for jokingly suggesting he would support any team England were playing in the World Cup.

To wear them against that background is a brave move and with Sven-Goran Eriksson's men eliminated, Murray becomes the sporting story of the summer for the English media. It will be interesting to see if their attitude towards him will now soften."

How brave - a wrist band - It won't!

We're Scottish and we admit we're crap at football.

Yeah right :thumbup:

On the odd occasion we do qualify, it's just an excuse to go down the pub with our mates to watch the game. we know we haven't a snowball's chance in hell of winning. You lot actually get sucked in by the media hype and BELIEVE.

Yep - they had me, although I was quietly happy with drawing Argentina in my sweepstake at work. Those clever people at "The Sun" get me every time. :D Why can't we see straight through them and treat them with the same contempt that the Scottish show for their press.

Sooner you admit to yourselves that your team perhaps isn't quite as good as the press would have you believe, the easier it will be to come to terms with losing.

I've not stopped crying since Sunday, no Saturday, oh I can't remember when it was, I was at a trial with some Welsh blokes.

The sooner I stop being so sickeningly patriotic the better. You don't catch the jocks doing it. :P

I remember Ally's Army - was that the last time?

Oooooops - From a SCOTTISH website no less

Edited by bikespace

But scotland don't send 85,000 fans to the world cup do they? and also, the English numbers arrested didnt even make 0.1% of that total. Again its the Media (english mainly) trying to make a big story as per usual out of nothing. The british press needs sorting as well as the refs! biggrin.gif

Wonder how many would have been arrested and how much damage would be done if the police had not stopped the known yobs travelling to follow THEIR country?

Just remember foreign countried look forward to Scottish Football fans aka the tartan army travelling to their contry - yes a lot of drink will probably be consumed but very few will be arrested and little damage will be done.

But scotland don't send 85,000 fans to the world cup do they? and also, the English numbers arrested didnt even make 0.1% of that total. Again its the Media (english mainly) trying to make a big story as per usual out of nothing. The british press needs sorting as well as the refs! biggrin.gif

Wonder how many would have been arrested and how much damage would be done if the police had not stopped the known yobs travelling to follow THEIR country?

Just remember foreign countried look forward to Scottish Football fans aka the tartan army travelling to their contry - yes a lot of drink will probably be consumed but very few will be arrested and little damage will be done.

You may wonder as its never gonna happen again in my life time! :thumbup:

Also, theres never any trouble coz when you lot get p****d, no one can understand a bloody word you're saying so how can anyone get offended !! :D

Some people seem to be getting a bit high and mighty when neither country has much room to talk recently. There are thugs throughout football. Celtic and Rangers have their own, Aberdeen probably has more. The more recent news stories have been of non-football related Scottish attacks on English including a 7 year old boy. I've no idea how you can sit on your high horse looking down at the 84,900 England fans that followed their team peacefully.

The quaint news story is the tartan army on the march. If your 0.1% caused trouble nobody would hear him. :thumbup:

If I was travelling almost alone, I wouldn't cause any trouble either. :D