Montesa 315 For A 'born Again' Trials Rider

johnnyboxer

I've been browsing here for about 6 months on TA and TC.

I read the topics with interest.........learning about the pros and cons of the new Modern Mono's.

I last competed and rode a trials bike about 15 years ago in late 80's when I had a TY250R Mono Yam,having competed as a schoolboy in 70's and early 80's on a TY175 Twinshock............

Having been Greenlaning for last 10 or so years on Honda XR's...........I've become disillusioned and fancy a return to UK Trials.........

So I've been deliberating about a modern Mono and settled on a post 2000 Montesa Cota 315............. for the following reasons :-

a) Honda involvement in the bike

:rolleyes: Proven Reliability and build quality

c) They look gorgeous in red

d) Residuals etc

I know that there are tricker, lighter bikes but I'm only ever going to be a Clubman rider...........so it's more than good enough for me......

I've got chance of a 2001 one ..........that's never been trialled and only used as a playbike............so should be in good nick as long as mechanicals haven't suffered by a lax owner

OR a 2002 bike that is OK........but has been trialled.

Is there much difference between a 2002 and 2001.

Other Montesa questions I have are :-

1. Is the airbox fairly watertight..........other bikes seem to suffer

2. Does the 2001 bike have revised steering geometry to go with Showa forks and better carb?

3. Any other mods I should look for ?

4. What protection should I get to Trial on for forks/frame etc.

5. Are the engines under normal use pretty bullet proof or do they need rings/pistons and rods every season............plus mains etc from time to time?

In general is there anything else I need to know about the bike...........

I have studied all the other bikes - Sherco/GasGas/Beta/Scorpa and mainly discounted them for me on general advice from other riders/dealers .....

Thanks for your help,

John

Edited by Johnnyboxer

Is there much difference between a 2002 and 2001.

The difference is in the frame geometry, 2002 is the same frame as the 03 & 04. I just chopped an 01 for an 02 as I liked the way the later bike steered. Apparently the Clutch master is different, but I can't notice it.

Other Montesa questions I have are :-

1. Is the airbox fairly watertight..........other bikes seem to suffer

Providing you maintain a bit of tape across the gap between the undersid e of the guard and the air box, they are pretty good - not submarine quality but as good as anything out there, and better than most.

2. Does the 2001 bike have revised steering geometry to go with Showa forks and better carb?

No the 01 frame is the same part number as the previous years, it has a different swingarm and rear brake caliper though.

3. Any other mods I should look for ?

A stock bike is a good sign - it means that nobody like me has messed with it.

Fork guards are nice. Boyesen reeds soften the motor a little. Black throttle tube will help if you getting back into the sport.

4. What protection should I get to Trial on for forks/frame etc.

Frame is bullet proof, will only get small scratches under normal use. Heavy duty Tecnosel can be used to protect the area above the footrests. Fork guards - quite a few models around try a local dealer.

5. Are the engines under normal use pretty bullet proof or do they need rings/pistons and rods every season............plus mains etc from time to time?

Just got an 02 and have done the rings and pin as a matter of course, didn't need it as the bike had been hardly used. My mates '98 hasn't even had the carb off and runs right week in week out. Unless the bikes done a lot of work it should be sound. Easier to work on than an XR !

In general is there anything else I need to know about the bike...........

If you have been around bikes check all the basics, wheel alignment, spoke tension, frame welds, bearing play, suspension bushes, etc. motors are normally pretty quiet rattle wise, with the clutch in.

The clutch may drag but it's easily fixed with new plates and oil.

Watch out for older bikes in new clothes

Edited by Subira

On the airbox; do not remove the two buttonhead fender screws and zip tie the fender, it will effect the fender to airbox seal and the fenders don't break very easily!

Keep the air filter clean, routine frame maintenence and if ridden in deeper water do the dogbones.

Sound bullit proof bikes, i have ridden one since i got back into trials (2000 in Silver), was going to upgrade to a Scorpa next, but now most probably a 03 Montesa. Agree with all the above, but i tried the Boyesen Reeds and didn't like them, so put an extra gaskit on the head instead.

GO FOR IT.

Gaff.

Great Bikes

Had a 98 for 2+ years - No problems at all.

Rode regularly and never even stripped the carb and only had the plug out once!

Now have a 2001 much improved but still very bullet proof.

Only needed to fit 'Haven' clutch plates as was fierce.

Also went for a slow action twist grip.

As regards the airbox - Just clean regularly especially after particularly muddy or dusty events.

Thanks for the replies guys...............

Well I had a look at a couple of 2001 models and decided to push the boat out and go for a new 2004 White model from BVM Stroud.

It's one of the last available and everybody says that's it..........next will be 4 stroke.

Are the white fenders stronger than the red ones..............they're certainly cheaper @