Fantic 300

southern

I have a fantic 300 which I am currently sorting to ride in the ACU classic series. The frame of the bike is white, which after talking with Bill Pye indicates that it was one of the Thierry Michaud Replica bikes......I was wondering if anyone has a picture of one or knows what colour the plastics are supposed to be as they appear to have been painted red. Does anyone know if there were any other differences other than the colour between the standard 300 and this one. Also any recommendations for modifications to improve the performance and handling would be gratefully received (it is still fitted with the original silencer, which I guess will be one of the first items to go!).

Bill Pye knows more about Fantics than I do, but I remember the Michaud replica when it was introduced, as a friend of mine had one from new, but the only difference in the colour scheme was that the petrol tank covers were white instead of red. Frame was still red, definitely not white.

Thw power delivery was claimed to be softer than the standard bike but no other differences as I recall

Edited by Woody

Yep,

I agreed with matin, rear loop....AND the replicas had dutati ignition instead of motoplat!

Most people would recommend falcon shocks, I think njb experts are great value. I would also recommend a WES, althogh some dont like them at all! And I swapped the 300 engine for a 303 unit. Spares are easier and the flywheel weight is adjustable. Most parts are available except rear guards which are unobtainium of 70 quid on ebay!

lee

Hi and well done finding one

I used a 300 for a number of seasons, overall a great bike I fitted mine with falcons, Used the ignition off a 305 which slims the bike down by over 1.5" at the ignition, side you also need the later engine covers. I fitted the forks and disc also. I would look out for the top yoke if you aim to keep the drum brake as it will improve the riding position. Other than that put the bike on a diet as they are quite heavy. I also lowered the gearing and ran 2 head gaskets which helped with the power delivery.

Other than that just have fun.

Thanks for all the replies.... the reason why I thought the white frame may have been original was that when I scratched away at the pain in some areas near the coils and behind bracing at the front end I could find no evidence of any red paint.........so someone must have done a very, very good job!

The bike itself seems really good even if it is a bit on the heavy side.....the power seems quite soft and forgiving although a bit more power would be nice! Which I guess a change of silencer may give me.

The main problem I have at the moment is getting use to the brakes and suspension after riding my mont. Are there any tricks to improving the performance of the drum brakes?.......and as I want to use it in the classic rounds (when i get it registered!) it must keep its drum brakes.

For improving the drum brake efficiency, see the Honda thread as there is something in there under 'tlr brakes' (or some such title) where it has been suggested to use car paint 2 pack hardener/activator on the shoes. Searching the Honda forum using any of those words should find the thread for you.

I wouldn't worry too much if they aren't good enough for stoppies etc. as none of the sections require absolute stopping power and most of the later twinshocks have more than adequate brakes for the sections. There are none of the stop dead, flick the back and ride back up your own @rse type sections found in modern trials.

It would be good to see a picture of the standard 300 front brake, if possible....

I do have a 240 which I have not started work on yet so have not compared the brakes, I guess the most efficent brakes will be the ones fitted to the standard 300?

Thanks

The first pic is a std 300 frt brake, Some call it a twin leading shoe, some say it has self centering pads. Note the double lever and pivot in the housing at the bottom.

The second is from a 200 or 240. It deffinitely has less stopping power

Lee

PS why dont you show us some piccies of you 300? have you thought about riding the two day dartmoor trial for a warm up? Its about 9/10th of september and I will try to come over for it!

post-1856-1152726138.jpg

post-1856-1152726280.jpg

Edited by Lee Harris