Pro Fuel Tank

fergygas

hi.

i noticed yesterday when i filled my bike up that the petrol was pouring out of the bottom somewhere. when i took the tank off and had a look the weld along the bottom of the tank had cracked and the petrol was just pouring out. thus resulting in me not being able to ride it :rolleyes:

has anyone else had this problem or anything similar and can it be welded up or is it a new tank jobby?

cheers

Has been a common problem with the pro over the years unfortunately.

Take it to a reputable welding shop / contractor, they should be able to do aluminium argon welding, some places can be funny and are not interested but it can be done.

Alternatively there are epoxy type bonds that can be used, however these will fail again after time.

Have a good look at the bottom of your tank and see if it has been making contact with any other part of your frame etc, I have little pieces of rubber about 2mm thick glued in strategic places on my tank to prevent such metal failure.

Hope this helps.

cheers. :rolleyes:

I have heard that the gas gas's are renouned for leaking tanks! in 2004 my mate bought a brand new 125 txt pro and the tank leaked from new! gas gas replaced it though! my 2003 125 txt pro had had its tank repaired from when i bought it with some kind of car body filler!lol it held up ok for a while but then when i got home after atrial noticed the garage stunk of petrol (even more than usual!) and found out the repair had split! after cleaning the filler off i found a series of little splits! so i ran cold water through the tank for 1/2 hour and got it welded by an ally welder, he drilled the ends of the split to stop it growing and welded it! he then pressure tested it to a couple of pounds with water in it andd there were no leaks so job done! it has held up great and i havent had any problems since! :rolleyes:

hope this helps you out a little!

Cheers

sean

P.S sorry for the essay!