Adding A Box For Mucky Stuff

rapid roy

I've been thinking of doing it to mine too, but on the odd occasion I have to carry three bikes, so I was thinking of something removable. I was considering a wooden box, which is built around the centre rails, so it takes less to fix it down. Then seal all the joints with kitchen sealant, and paint it to whatever colour I want.

I reckon with some foam inside the lid, and a lid that comes down over the outside of the box, it would be fairly water tight.

Needs a drain hole or two with a tube though, otherwise it'll end up full when washing it out. Bit awkward turning the trailer upside down every week to empty it :beer: (Will also act as an airhole for Dan if he has a bad ride) :D

Hi atom

Thinking of half inch box for the frame

(If I can borrow a welder)

i would like to finish in alloy, galvanised sheets etc

And pop rivet to steel frame

Not sure how to design a lid which keeps the contents dry

I don't think the car would shelter the box on the move

Yep, I've got three of them. One is bolted to the tongue of my enclosed trailer so that I can keep the gas can's in it instead of in the trailer. One floats around in the back of my truck to keep riding gear in etc. Another keeps the camping gear all in one spot. If there loose they make a good bench/ table. I used 2 of them stacked as a work bench while working on the Youth National trophies a couple weeks back. There handy!

I wanted to do the exact same thing two years ago.

Last winter I went to the local auto parts store Pep boys and bought myself 129 dollar special box.

Make sure you get the one that fully flips up ie full length box.

I removed my center rail and then had to modify the box slightly to fit.

It was about an inch too long. With a little finesse from my friend mr hammer she fits fine!

I bolted the center rail back down to the top of the box and sealed it up with some silicone.

She is water tight. I have towed three bikes on the trialer quite often but i mainly use the center rung

for my bicycle and cooler.

We went to Oaklahoma (17.5 hours one way) with the miata minder two bikes and a huge cannopy.... Then we did it all over again to tennesse.

The box about quadruples the miatas storage room (my ride of choice for long trips).

Check it out behind the muddy Montesa.

post-712-1153596199.jpgpost-712-1153596156.jpg

While your at it get some cool rims too.

I will go home and get some more pics later.

-Biff

Rapid Boy

Go to your local B&Q (the megastore variety) they sell large plastic toolbox's big ones with 2 wheels and a handle, I have one bolted to the A frame of my 3 bike trailer, it takes all the fuel cans and muddy kit, it can get a bit close to the tow vehicle when reversing, but ok if you are careful.

Hi steady Eddie

i had a good look in B&Q

Was just about to leave when an enthusiastic young man ask the size required then guided me to the garden section

Deluxe storage box on offer 61h x 125w x 55d or for old codgers 23.5