Mp3 Cd Player - Help!

simonty

I've just got a new CD player for my car, and it plays MP3 CD's. How do i make an MP3 CD? Is there any software I need to do it? Or can it be done in media player or nero?

I'm not very good with technology, just seemed good to be able to get over 10 albums on 1 CD!

Thanks, simon

theres no such thing as an mp3 cd...an mp3 is a music file like when you load cd tracks to your computer they then become mp3.

Wrong!

An MP3 CD is actually a data CD full of MP3 files - hence an MP3 CD. Just copying the MP3s to a CD using Nero or whatever should work just fine.

I use windows media player to "rip" the original CD onto my computer as an MP3 file and by connecting to internet you can obtain the album cover and track titles. I then use Nero to compile and burn the MP3 CD.

Use the "group" buttons on your CD player to go through the albums on the CD and the "sel" buttons to select tracks from the selected album.

I'm a computer biff so if I can manage it then it must be straightforward. :thumbup:

Edited by Hughesy

theres no such thing as an mp3 cd...an mp3 is a music file like when you load cd tracks to your computer they then become mp3.

Wrong!

An MP3 CD is actually a data CD full of MP3 files - hence an MP3 CD. Just copying the MP3s to a CD using Nero or whatever should work just fine.

does it not just then become a cd?

A CD can be burn in different formats, when you burn a load of MP3's onto it (they can be in folders on there too) your MP3 cd player will pick them up and play them, you can also load them onto the CD and burn it as an audio cd so that non-mp3 players can play them too, but obviously you can only get a few MP3's on an audio cd, where as when I burn my MP3's onto a CD as a data format, I can get between 5-10 albums on there depending on the size of the files.

It never stopped being a cd... I suspect what you mean is an audio cd of the type that you buy pre-recorded. In which case, no, it doesn't. An audio cd normally uses the Red Book file format to store the sound - this takes up a lot more disk space than mp3 files but is of course of vastly superior quality. When you burn mp3s to a cd without converting them they are simply burned as mp3 files, in exactly the same format as they are stored on your hdd, or would be on a floppy disk - so a normal cd player will not be able to play these files unless it has mp3 support built in. If you do have a cd player that will play mp3s this means you can store a lot more music on a cd than can be found on an audio cd (roughly 5-10x more) as long as you don't mind the accompanying loss of quality.

Not many people are I suppose, but hopefully you're not still running Windows 98? If you are, I think you can only use Media Player 9 which doesn't allow MP3 ripping by default. You'd have to search for a freeware CD-MP3 ripper for 98.

With Media Player 10 you can "Rip" (Copy and convert) audio files from an audio CD to your hard drive. You have the choice of format to save them on your hard drive - If you're intending putting them on your MP3 CDs then you need to select MP3 - sometimes called compressed audio in some rippers.

I normally record them at 192kbps and you don't notice much difference from CD quality at all. 160kbps is OK too. 128kbps starts to get noticable but still not bad at all.

Once you've got the MP3's on your hard drive, you just need to copy them to your CD with whatever app you normally use (no conversion at all). Nero, or summat similar.

You can normally even leave them in the folders like they are on your PC, one album in each folder for example, to help you sift through.

this takes up a lot more disk space than mp3 files but is of course of vastly superior quality.

Depends on your definition of quality. MP3 is a lossy algorithm and that loss is achieved by reducing the bandwidth. Normal music files (.wav) have an upper frequency limit of 20kHz whereas mp3's upper limit varies on the level of compression. Personally I stopped hearing 20khz when I was about 3 months old and I reckon my upper limit is now about 12 kHz so I don't give a stuff about loss of bandwidth.

Nyquist rules.