So Did We At Least Make A Dollar!

copemech

No US round for "07, ok , but did TTC at least make a buck?

I'm sure Dan has had a chance to count all the beans by now!

Realize, this is not important to me on a personal basis, but in the interist of US trials and WTC events it is an issue! The clubs and organizations that sponsor these events cannot do so at a loss and succeed! It just does not make sense! Roumors from prior years suggest that it was all done at a loss which could not be sustained!

It costs TONS to put it on, not to mention the endless hours of volunteer work!

I know the spectator attendence was down on Sunday in TN, it was evident! We simply do not have the 8000 in attendence like Hawkstone!

I want and encourage those promotors to make money, it only makes it better for everyone!

A simple red/ black response would do! A BIG BLACK would be a positive sign for all!

So lets hear it!

:thumbup:

I asked the same questions in a thread a month or so after the world round.

No one came forward with numbers then. Maybe they didn't have them yet-I doubt that. We could speculate the turn out sucked and TTC said screw this for next year and FIM just picked Guatemala.

Check the thread already started under No 2007 World Round. Check it out.

Edited by onestophop

O.K., here's my take. The event was profitable mixing the NATC support/Expert/Pro riders in the competition. But the format doesn't suit the FIM. The world riders I talked with didn't feel the Americans belonged on the course unless they were going to ride the world championship points which would have left maybe two or three americans that would have participated, not 160.

Back in the early 80's ( uhum) you know in the olden days as my kids call it! US Nationals and World Rounds were run in conjunction with each other. I believe the last one was in Watkins Glen NY in 84. It was stopped back then because of the same reasons that CT explains. The FIM put pressure on the NATC to have single World only events.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but at TTC didn't we have the same observers observing different riders riding under different rules? AMA rules and WTC rules? Could be wrong, but I seem to recall it being flagged as a potential for major mistakes.

A summary accounting of the 2006 U.S. round of the Trials World Championship is now reported on the STRA website bulletin board.

Dan

p.s., we carefully considered any possible rules differences between US nationals and FIM and attempted to warn all the US riders what they were and advised them we'll be strictly following FIM rules. That doesn't mean they listened. Tony Bussing and I could only find two:

1) FIM has no warning whistle at 30 seconds left in the section, (which is ok by me and easier for observers)

2) FIM rules denote that a fault is "each contact with the ground or obstacle"; in the US we have traditionally scored a sliding foot as 3 pts. When I asked FIM officials about that, they informed me that, no, a sliding foot was still only 1 point. I was informed that this is referred to as the "ENGLISH FOOT"

A good brief reporting from Dan on the STRA site link!

It costs SOO much to do those sorts of improvments! But I suppose you could say all the profits were reinvested, and then some! That is a good thing too!

The entire area benefits, hotels, food, supplies, and the fireworks store from Andy!

Overall, an amazing job, specially considering the timeframe. :o

Although I did not post it on the STRA site as I am not a member, in the request for comments, I did notice that there were a lot of comments from riders about the rider and minder loop access to the mid and upper end of sawmill. Apparently it got quite nasty in places just trying to get to the sections under the prevailing wet conditions(fairly normal for that time of year). I did witness a number of riders crash coming down the hill to our section. I thought for a second that I was going to have to go pick Laia up and drag her bike out(after i brushed off her bottom)! :blink:

FWIW: My feelings while attending the event at TTC was that Dan had the opportunity to reap some benefit beyond the event itself. I looked at his numbers from the STRA site and I understand that much of the improvements to the property are one time expenditures which like he said, puts them in a good position to do future events. But I also feel that hosting the event at a location like TTC that offers riding, schools, etc... was a great advertising/marketing move. I, and other I spoke with who had never been to TTC before all left thinking, Wow I would really like to come back here and spend some time riding!

So regardless of the income/expense report for the event itself, I hope Dan sees some future returns when riders make use of his facility due to the exposure to the TTC at the WTC Event.

Just my .02