X Games

catskinner

If all you North American members that are always debating about how to best promote trials on this side of the Atlantic are open to suggestions, I would propose that the quickest way to mainstream recognition of our sport is to get trials into the X Games.

Imagine what Fuji, Dougie, Raga and the boys would do to the imagination of young riders all over the world if they were showcased along side the other extreme sports.

I agree that trials would be a good addition to the X games but..........the average american wants spectacluar, possible death, huge air stuff. Let's face it Observed trials is the most awesome motorcycle sport for control and skill with the machine, but unfortunately rather boring to watch unless you are a participant and know what to look for.

Check here on another thread.

http://www.trialscentral.com/forums/index....=9815&st=15

I think the key is where the person states that the rider was balancing so long that the watcher was able to get a cup of tea and come back and the rider is in the same spot. Although an awesome feat of balance and of great interest to myself and other trials riders it is very boring for the average american.

If we can get more people to actually try riding trials and find out that it is enjoyable only then will the sport grow. Observed trials is a participant based sport not spectator. We set up sections (club level any way) for the enjoyment and challenge of the rider not for what "looks cool" or may kill somebody.

Definition of crash (i saw something like this on the TC postings can't remember who or where but I liked it) "A crash is when parts of the machine are broke and/or a trip to the local hospital."

NASCAR big----go fast, turn left, crash.

MotoX (super and arena) big ------go fast big jumps crash.

Drag racing mid size----- go really fast, some crashes.

Freestyle MotoX big-------Huge jumps crazy stunts, big crashes

Supermoto getting big------it's different, go fast, jumps, crashes.

Trials-----small go slow, big steps, balance, control few crashes (most are unplanned dismounts)

I see a pattern the average American wants speed and high danger

the double back is cool but I much prefer the flat spin 360 on the trials bike in the "out of section high" movie, also cool to see the guy do a rail slide on a trials bike. trials is a very tradeitional sport when it comes to events, it's nice to see this new vid with skate boarding and other newer influnces. This is what will help trials get more popular. where I ride we don't have enough people for events, we trail ride on our bikes, we go up "downhill mountain bike" trails, mountain bikers are too one directional. we do some awesome climbs, step up jumps and ride on "north shore" style stunts.

zippy i think your forgetting that shefield 99 indoor tape i showed you that time.

that was a big crash off of that roll. Personally i think the x games would be a great idea.

The other week on abc's "masters and champions" it was very impressive.

However i love trials and have an appreciation for what these people can do.

Tv does not give it perspective.

My question is how is golf such a big hit here in the states?

tv does not give that perspective either.

I think the answer lies in people who play golf can appreciate it on tv.

The same thing can be stated about trials. Not many people have access to trials.

Most people know what it is. They have seen it on TV... How many times have any of

you been asked if that is one of those "rock hoppin bikes" at the gas station?

They know it. They just didnt know it was in their own back yard.

Yep Biff, I did forget the nasty crash off the big roll from the Sheffield indoor.......Man that had to hurt.

After some thought (this usually take alot of time and smoke out the ears), seeing some of the replies, and talking to the wifey about it, (Don't tell her she was right).

I think I was uhhhhhhmmmmm wrong.

Trials would do well in the X games, if as some of the other posts stated it was done indoor style, with races, maybe the splatter wall competition, and such. Kinda like thinking outside the box. When I posted the first time I was thinking of the more "normal" events like a club level, national and even the WTC, with section start and finish only one rider at a time, long trail ride loop. I have to adjust that things change.

As for my opinion of the "masters of champions".....The skills those guys have are fabulous, the exposure got alot of people talking about trials, I did like the camera angle that was off the helmet and showed exactly how skinny the landing spot was on top of the dresser (I think it was). What I didn't like was the "cheesiness" of riding on furniture, (but it made for good tv) and the whole flat tire thing, seemed a little scripted to me.

No TV does not do it justice trials is something best seen in person, or better yet participated in.

The golf thing I don't know you got me. I tried golf once played like crap, realized there is alot more to it than just slapping the ball with a stick and hoping it finds the hole. (but that's the way I played it) It was alot more challenging than I thought it would be.

Sorry that's enough ramblin' and too many topics in one post.

So then... What are the barriers to entry? I have no insight myself, but I know of two bicycle trial importers that were talking with the X-Games folks a few years ago and nothing has come of it to my knowledge. Like I said I have no insight, but it makes me wonder if it would be (or has been) a hard sell.....????

ACTUALLY trials on TV could be done well with proper camera work. It takes a lot of work and a good eye for the action. It also takes multiple cameras on each section, plus some great editing.

Most of the trials I've seen on US TV is wham, bam thank you mam! The outdoor Trials GPs I saw on SKY TV in Mexico was a full half hour show and was pretty good... Yes it could be made even better but that takes time and money.

The reason Golf is sooooo popular on TV is the weekend player factor, they have a built in fan base! Football and basketball or any other ball sport is the same. The facts are it's a big money sport simply because CBS executives who played golf wanted it to be a big TV sport. That's why golf is now a multi million dollar per year professional sport for the players, also realize that professional golf did not destroy the pleasure of the game for weekenders. A fear common amoung trials riders, that is unfounded!

If somebody wanted to put the time, effort and money into trials the way it was for Golf. Trials would be a great TV sport also. We would see many more private and public owned trials areas like we do for golf to live and ride on as an added bonus.

Think about it, private clubs for trials like we see for golf and hunting! But that takes a fan base.

I converted to trials from MX a few years ago, but had no idea what the Euro riders were capable of until I bought a video of the '98 or '99 indoor season. It was unbelievable.

Most off road riders have an idea what trials is, but can only truly appreciate it when they see world championship level riders for the first time.

I showed the video to my daughter and some of her friends, (They were 12 or 13 years old then), and though they weren't riders and didn't seem very interested at first, they soon became totally silent and watched in awe. If an indoor trials video can quiet a room full of teenage girls, then it would probably play well with the general public.

Just my opinion, but it would be great to see it happen.

if you want to mainstream trials ridding you need to jazz it up from the traditional event type of ridding. I was hoping to find a link to the video "out of section high" but can't find it. these guys are riding through town, skate parks and doing new moves from a newer influence. this type of riding will inspire the younger generation to get a bike possibly. if some one could post a link to it that would be great, It was on our trials canada forum but I can't find it anymore. I can't wait to learn how to railslide my Monty. I have been doing some urban trials lately too, I like to ride on concrete highway deviders. many older sports have been revived by newer influence, the one that comes to mind for me is skiing, its all the rage now that skiers are allowed in the snowboard parks and kids are comming up with new tricks. to get on x games we would need a few guys to put some moves together in a skate park or something.

Zippy,

I got it man! Me and you going on PINKS. You know that show on Speed vision where you race for pinks. In stead of racing we are.... Well do i need say more!?!?!

Gasgas versus sherco.... epic battle! Oh man i think that would be really cool.

Get up on that bus!

Launch across the creek with out swimming in it.... hahaha...

Just an idea for yet another venue! :blink: