Gas Gas Are They Any Good

eddie_lejeune

I've owned 3 GasGas and never a problem to speak of. My '04 Raga Pro is quick and light, would not trade it for anything out there, but thats just me. Its hard to switch but they quit making Fantic so the switch was easy for me.LOL

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just seen this on the brilliant camozzi-trial.com website:

http://www.camozzi-trial.com/articles.php?lng=fr&pg=3777

From what I've read somewhere else on this forum (presently can't find the thread) it seems that gas-gas swingarms have been problematic for a while now although it has been argued that this has only been associated with the magnesium versions. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but the example shown here appears to be the standard aluminium-alloy version.

Is this therefore possibly a wider-scale problem that previously reported?

While I'm not able to translate all of that page I did notice the words "FREE RIDE" in big letters at the top and the cut down rear plastics on the broken bike, which suggests to me this was broken by one of the "Out of section" type riders - probably doing something a little outside the design parameters of the bike! In fact, the little I can translate of the title seems to be suggesting that this images are illustrating the risks of doing 'free ride' trials rather than the weakness of the parts. Any bike will break if it you push it hard enough, especially if you're using a trials bike for something rather different than what it was originally designed for, and I've seen videos of these guys jumping Freestyle MX jumps on their trials bikes!

Hi i have a 05 280 gasser and it is absolutely brilliant. I wouldn't change manufacturer for anything!!

I do spend a little time working on it but I have never had to do anything more then change oil and cleaning the carb.

And in my opinion they are the best looking trials bikes you can get!!

gassers all the way :)

Only swinging arms ive seen broken are them from pros and none of us ride at that level so i wouldnt worry.

This is what Ross done in Spain but it was from a 8ft drop off - not what you would find in a local trial :)

2-cimg0547.jpg

Hi I have A 2003 GAS GAS TXT PRO 125 and have had to loads of little bits to it which have mounted up to quite a bit of cash as well as new clutch, but thats all because it is an older bike and in the change over from txt's to pro's and now that everything is sorted aslong as i kepp it maintained it is great! I would definately get another gasser because from I have heard I heard the new machines are pretty dam sorted I know about eight people in our club with gassers the earliest being 2004 and none of them have had any problems! One of them is on a 2006 gasgas 125 racing with the magnesium swing arm and he has had no problems with it and he rides the expert route. aslong as the suspension is set for your weight and what your going to be riding over there should be no problems! however there are always going to be a lesser quality item leaving thye production line that has slipped through

cheers for now

sean :rolleyes:

Only swinging arms ive seen broken are them from pros and none of us ride at that level so i wouldnt worry.

This is what Ross done in Spain but it was from a 8ft drop off - not what you would find in a local trial :rolleyes:

well if hes dropping off things taller than me il call him a pro :D

This is what Ross done in Spain but it was from a 8ft drop off - not what you would find in a local trial :o

Remember Nant Mawr - I do. That must have been oooooh 15, 12, 10, 8, 6 foot maybe :crying:

Didn't like it anyway. You forced me in to it :rolleyes:

And I'm double Ross's weight, so presumably I could do that damage from 4 foot???

Do you reckon this is because they are landing too vertical, and there is no movement in the swinging arm once they get it vertical? Chickens like me land almost horizontal (and flailing :D)

Edited by bikespace

Remember Nant Mawr - I do. That must have been oooooh 15, 12, 10, 8, 6 foot maybe :crying:

Didn't like it anyway. You forced me in to it :D

This is Ross riding this section with the drop off that Bikespace was wimpering about :P A big strapping 6ft Rugby playing Northerner woos .. Pffffff :rolleyes:

Do you reckon this is because they are landing too vertical, and there is no movement in the swinging arm once they get it vertical? Chickens like me land almost horizontal (and flailing :o)

All the others youths went off that same section in Spain with no problems so I just put it down to it being because it was magnesium, which isn't a good material for a high stress component when taken to these extremes then it would be more vunerable to this sort of damage I would suggest. Not so likely for a club rider :crying:

All the others youths went off that same section in Spain with no problems so I just put it down to it being because it was magnesium, which isn't a good material for a high stress component when taken to these extremes then it would be more vunerable to this sort of damage I would suggest. Not so likely for a club rider :rolleyes:

There must be much more to it than just magnesium.

All the others youths went off that same section in Spain with no problems so I just put it down to it being because it was magnesium, which isn't a good material for a high stress component when taken to these extremes then it would be more vunerable to this sort of damage I would suggest. Not so likely for a club rider :rolleyes:

There must be much more to it than just magnesium.

Well, its not that Ross is a fat git is it :D

I know Ross is riding at a much higher level, but I'm still not convinced that he puts his bike under more physical stress than all of us clubmen. I'm exactly twice his weight. They say when you jump you exert three times your weight, so presumably I'm exerting at least 6 times his weight just by jumping?

When you look at how he gracefully drops off things, and I come off drops and hit steps like a sack of spuds, it's got to be a close call.

Some people would say they've never seen a bike under so much stress as my poor Sherco. Sometimes you can hear it crying, but it has given three years of remarkable service :)

Apart from when I collapsed the wheel in the Manx :unsure:

Edited by bikespace

• 6 months later...