Chain Maintainence?

easytigrrr

Hmmmmmmm not heard of that before? would'nt it make the chain more dirty?

I have been using WD40 for ages now, dust and dirt doesnt seem to cling to the chain as much and it washes off really easily, never noticed any abnormal chain stretching over chain lubes or grease. I do spray it everytime I go out on the bike though and if its a long day might do again after a few hours.

Yep, the WD works as good as anything, although I try not to apply it right before riding as it slings **** everywhere, unless it is a real wet and muddy event, then it does not matter, as everything slings everywhere!

I have been trying an experiment over the last 18 months which seems to work really well.

I power wash the chain after every ride, dry it with an air hose & then put on chainsaw oil with a toothbrush.

Sounds fiddley but if the engine is running & you put the bike in 1st gear its does not take long.

The toothbrush cleans off the remaining c**p & helps makes sure the chain saw oil goes right into the links.

No stretching, chains still only lift 2mm off rear chainwheel & the two bikes are used almost every week in all weathers.

Mud never seems to be an issue.

B&Q cheepo oil is all Ive ever used!

LOONAL

As my bikes are all classic trials they have non O-Ring chains and I still have two tubs of chain grease. Stick it on the hob, drop the chain in, pull chain out after 5 mins, hang dry. Chain is coated and cleaned in one pass.

Try using a blowlamp carefully on the pads and disc, i had contaminated mine with WD40/ chain lube - the pads caught fire but soon went out and good for another few trials.

If it is just the WD40, have a water bottle ready, do a couple of good stops from 4thor 5th gear, and immidiatly douse the rotor. It will steam clean it. (should be hot enough to steam)

You may need to perform this two or three times depending upon how much oil, but should work. ;)

Pressure wash chain after washing in de greaser, blow dry with compresser then leave to soak in a tub of old engine oil take it out and leave to drip dry overnight then re-fit. lastly apply white marine grease to the chain, upper and lower rollers and job done. You will find the grease will probably still be there after the trial! Also as a note i put a grease nipple near the bottom of the head stock & s/arm and give it a few pumps after washing. You will be suprised how much water this pushes out.

• 2 weeks later...

All I do is hot pressure wash it and leave it in a drum of diesel (cleans and sort of lubes) blow off with air line and put plenty of Wurth dry chain lube on it an allow to dry. Ive had an IRIS (hmmm) for nearly 12 months now and it hasnt had a link removed yet. That said itll break now next ride.

If you knowingly get oil on the brake then Cellulose Thinners around the disc works well as for pads heat along with water and some TFR (traffic fim remover) will be sufficient.

I take my chain off before washing the bike and put the chain in a tub of old degreaser which is made up of all sorts of old stuff including petrol, parafin, thinners, white spirit e.t.c. e.t.c.

After soaking for a couple of days or whenever I remember it's still in there, I scrub with a toothbrush and hang up to drip over the degreaser pot and then after a few minutes, spray the chain on both sides with WD40, leave to hang over night and re-fit.

The best thing about using only WD40 is that no mud and crap sticks to the chain which with chain lubes creates a kind of grinding paste that shags your chain in no time.