Week 160 -

Andy

Reminds me of a story my late dad used to tell about his mate turned up a trial with a new bike. One that he hadn't had tiime to roadworthy and register. The local constable, being an eagle eyed fellow sidled up next to my dads mate and said: "New bike sir? Very nice. Do me a favour and get it roadworthied and registered next week."

Edited by TooFastTim

But what beats me is why the police feel they need to be involved. The mere fact that the event is taking place, under ACU jurisdiction should be good enough for any right minded officer. If they know anything, they will know that it is being organised properly, riders will have good road sense, and the nuisance factor is minimal.

If they stopped just one rider who was not insured, was their involvement not well justified?

I always make a big deal about the road insurance for our road trials, but it's amazing how few riders think it's worth paying the

they were probably there as its easy pickings for the poor dears . all the local scroats that have nicked bikes and are too clever for them and cant be caught and even if they do catch them cant be prosecuted for whatever reason the do gooders in society have drempt up this month. got to make the crime clear up figures look good somehow for this government.

they were probably there as its easy pickings for the poor dears . all the local scroats that have nicked bikes and are too clever for them and cant be caught and even if they do catch them cant be prosecuted for whatever reason the do gooders in society have drempt up this month. got to make the crime clear up figures look good somehow for this government.

A bit cynical sir, they have probably caught all the local thieves/drug dealers/rapists/ etc.

Just tiding up a few loose ends.

If they had the right size plates on,would the riders have got pulled or a member of the public feel the need to call the Fuzz in the first place.Would it be such hard work for the riders to carry a full size plate somewhere on there person or somewhere out the way on the bike until they get to the roadwork then they can whack the plate on the back,make it fit as a quick release thingy.

It would be easy to make a full plate out of Aluminium,even design it so it folds up when your not using it.

Guys, there are a few members of the thin blue line that visit and occasionally post on these forums. One in particular has expressed his disgust with political pressure bought to bear on him and his collegues. I think you might be a little more circumspect when bashing the plod and perhaps pay more attention to their political overlords.

Guys, there are a few members of the thin blue line that visit and occasionally post on these forums. One in particular has expressed his disgust with political pressure bought to bear on him and his collegues. I think you might be a little more circumspect when bashing the plod and perhaps pay more attention to their political overlords.

Still take their salary !

Hey, what ever political reasons the police have, or what other serious criminals they could be chasing, there is no excuse for riding on the road without insurance.

I don't know if any riders were prosecuted, but if they were then they deserve to be punished accordingly.

Just imagine the consequenses if the worst happened.

Interesting point and i must admit i do agree there is no excuse for riding on the road without tax and insurance but do also agree that Plod is turning up for easy pickings probably at the behest of the local Ramblers or some other better organised, than us, pressure group because it's too much hassle to go to the local Beirut council estate and round up the scroats riding round. Never mind about insurance or tax as i look out my window they havent even got a silencer or mudguards. But then again any self respecting Rambler wouldnt be seen dead, well probably would be thinking about it, in scroat central. Before you say it yes as soon as i can afford it i will escape.

As the advert says "dont worry about hurting his feelings they used to be professionals." Plod i mean.

Brings me on to thinking about the upcoming Northern British Bike Round locally in April also in Derbyshire organised by the Midland Classic MCC and using road work. Now Midland Classic are an AMCA Club so what is the AMCA position re legality? I know of at least one local AMCA trials club who have registrered as a limited company for legal protection reasons. I know where i stand as an official of an ACU affiliated club but as for AMCA officials i dont know. If i was one i'd start reading the small print or get in touch with the local vampire sorry solicitor for guidance. Oh what fun :wall:

Brings me to another point. I know of at least half a dozen, might be more :wall: , Classic bike riders who each have just one number plate between all their bikes and it's laughable how many Triumphs with a Villers engine or James with BSA engines even a Villiers / James that might just be masquerading as a Bultaco there are about.

Is that wrong? well depends on who is asking doesnt it. I could give you both sides of the arguement. At least the supposed bike might be legal? Well it might? Another good trick would be to use a Spanish registration but thats another story, actually probably a mini series.

So will Plod and the Plodettes be out and about at the Northern British Round ? and if they are will they use a Morris Minor to stay in keeping with the events "Classic" status ??? Nah they would have to do a rendition of heartbeat if they did. Far too much to expect from the thick blue line. Evening all :D

Edited by Old trials fanatic

What ever the reason for the Bill being there in the first place we have given them ammunition and justification by them finding illegal riders.

We could always try and blur the lines regarding No plate legality as happen in the SSDT but no tax, no insurance - hard to get away with and puts another nail in the coffin of road trials.

Imagine the local paper headlines "Illegal motocyclist brougt to justice by swift action of police and ramblers"

Maybe they all have insurance policies which include trials.

Saw the police at the Bemrose both last year and this year. I wonder if I will be pulled over again at the Jack Wood this year? :wall:

My bike is taxed and insured however I know that, if they really wanted to, the law could find something to throw the book at me for. I cant blame them for being 'curious'.

My insurance policy is one with the tiny disclaimer about trials use. Are there any insurers that don't include this? It does play on my mind!

Cheers