Kickstart Problems

cursed

So I replaced the kickstart gear + idle gear as they were pretty mangled. When re-fitting though, when I tighten up the crankcase the kickstart gets super stiff to kick over, and will only flip back up if the crankcase is loose. I've wound the spring fairly tight to make sure it flips up as easily as possible, but as soon as the crankcase is tight at all, the shaft just gets really hard to move round. Obviously the crankcase needs to be tight otherwise the oil leaks out...

Any help would be appreciated.

It's gone back together wrong somehow, take it apart and try again. It happened to me once and can't remember why. It was something stupid like a washer at the very bottom of the kickstart shaft wasn't in correctly. Sorry can't be of more help, but get it covering freely or the stresses of use will crack the clutch cover.

Its not a matter of having all the parts - its putting the puzzle together correctly. Jons suggestion is a good one - something is not letting the shaft sit normal to the case. Could also be the KS spring tang isnt in the right hole in the center case. There is a good video of how to reassemble this here: http://www.trialspartsusa.com/youtube.html see the pro engine repair #3 - about 2 minutes into it. It can be a tricky little bugger to get wound up right.

Edited by laser1

Find someone that has experience, my 04 that I bought parts for (my brother has it) had this issue with the "new" parts he got 2 years ago... did exactly what you are talking about, I forget what the actual cure was, anything from busing in wrong place or something....

I'll contact him to make sure, I can not recall, HOW he fixied it by deleted this information becuase I dont want to let you to try it before I confirm it, or if it was something else before he got it together right.

Edited by sting32

I've wound the spring fairly tight to make sure it flips up as easily as possible,

I notice you saying this.. You dont say what bike this is, but I assume its a PRO? The spring on a PRO is to be wound ONE turn before putting the shaft in. If you did more that can be your problem..

-Jan

Hi Mate,

The reason why the kick start is tight is because it is not seated properly as others have said. They can jump out of their locator bushing at the rear while you are putting the case on. I have had it happen a few times when putting the motor back together. Best to lay the bike on it's side and keep the shaft pressed towards the engine while you put the clutch cover on.

Have just sold the gasser and now have a 300 sherco.

Hopefully see you at the next trial mate.

Hi Mate,

The reason why the kick start is tight is because it is not seated properly as others have said. They can jump out of their locator bushing at the rear while you are putting the case on. I have had it happen a few times when putting the motor back together. Best to lay the bike on it's side and keep the shaft pressed towards the engine while you put the clutch cover on.

Cheers Steve, will give that a go! Unfortunately I'm busy for the next Waltham Chase trial so wont be there, but the following one after that I should be able to make!

Hows the Sherco compared to the gasser?

Lineaway has the answer

Most of the time it falls right together. Other bikes I have spent several wasted hours assembly and re-assembly , then all of a sudden there it is. WTF?

If you wind it too much, you might want to start with a new spring. Once it get`s bent, the spring itself is the problem!

/

Hi Mate,

Wow, took it apart, layed it over and it all literally just fell back together. Thanks for that steve, really helped, its all back together and working now. Kicks over perfectly, very smoothly (unlike before with the mangled teeth!)

Most of the time it falls right together. Other bikes I have spent several wasted hours assembly and re-assembly , then all of a sudden there it is. WTF?

If you wind it too much, you might want to start with a new spring. Once it get`s bent, the spring itself is the problem!

/

Probably wasted about 4 hours re-assembling, then today it plopped together with the bike on its side lol!

Pictures of the removed gears :o

IMG_02481.jpg

IMG_02491.jpg

IMG_02471.jpg

IMG_02501.jpg