Uber Noobie

wizzbang

Hi all, I've always liked watching trials, but after some badgering from a mate I have finally sucumb to giving it a go.

Ive been riding push bikes (mainly bmx/mtb) ever since I could walk, and riding motorbikes for the past 10 years.

I've just bought an '03 Scorpa 250SY so I can get started

IMG_1804_zps8c129da1.jpg

What I'm really after is the collective knowlege and experience of you guys on here. I know it's going ot be a steep learning curve, but I want it be an enjoyable one, so give me your hints, tips, stories, and advice that you feel everyone new taking up the sport like me should need to know.

Edited by wizzbang

I started 3 yrs ago and I'm a bit better than I was but by no means good but I enjoy riding and the crack at the trials, never met anyoone who was less then helpfull, so here's my take on it.

Ride it, ride it a bit more, enter some trials and pay attention to how the other guys do it, watch what they do with their body and bike, ask questions, ride it, try different things, take a 5 when you look at a section and think NO WAY! you'll notice the emphasis on riding it, I always struggle for the first lap to get the bike moving then second lap it starts to get easier, but thats because I don't get enough time on the bike, theres no substitute to getting on it.

• 3 weeks later...

The Scorpa is such a nice looking bike. Well done and welcome.

Ride, ride, ride, ride and ride again is the key. Training obviously helps and don't be afraid to ask as trials seems to do things differently. One thing you do notice though is the different way is the better way when you ride something else. Trilas should be compulsory and then most bike nuts would be much more skilled.

Just a short time Novice here, riding a 4rt and having a ball. Attended 3 events so far and have gotten better at each one. Like everyone, I wanted to do all the cool tricks and such when I started, but what I found at the early levels was rocks, logs, uphills and down were all easy and within my offroad skills. Nothing hard at all. But turning, turning and more turning....they are going to keep you safe and make you turn, turn, turn and give you points if you don't. Keep it fun and practice for balance and TURNING.