Early Bultacos

laird387

Hi,

An interesting picture as Tommy Ollerton presents his machine, the Bultaco trials model developed by Jack Anelay in Lancashire, to the scrutineers to have the non-removable components marked, at the start of the 1962 Scottish.

Enjoy

post-19290-0-87775100-1389880086_thumb.jpg

Hi,

Terrible admission but I haven't a clue who, when or where this Bultaco rider is - 'cos we used the Cecil Bailey image in the story of Gordon Francis, the photographer, seen here with his Speed Graphic camera.

I have no doubt some knowledgeable member can fill in the details - so please help.

My only guess is Paul Dunkley - but that is a guess!

Meantime, enjoy.

post-19290-0-68517000-1389892256_thumb.jpg

Edited by laird387

Paul Dunkley it ain't -- sadly.

Am I right in saying that Jack Anelay was a dealer from Blackburn Lancashire??

Am I right in saying that Anelay's did a lot of the development work to the Sherpa N

(pre- Sherpa T) --- witness here in the 62 SSDT ??

And yet when the Sherpa T appeared in 64/65, the Rickmans were the importers

and Anelays were never mentioned again and very rarely today.

What's the story ?? Charlie P. must know something more.

Regards

Sparks

Edited by sparks2

Hi Guy's.

Sparks .

The story is the politics of the time?

After putting in all of the effort and bringing Bultaco to the fore in the racing world, with some brilliant wins on what were basically development bikes Dan Shorey was eventually palmed off with unreliable machinery.

And being has forthright has he is didn't help. and he told them so.

Then don't forget we and has you say Anelay's had done most of the work to make a trials bike out of the Sherpa N?

Well Bultaco wanted the frames from the Rickman brothers for the scrambler engine? Now don't forget Bultaco's main line was building and selling engines, and outlets for the continuos production was needed.

A lot of engines went into Karts has this was also a growing market.

Behind the scenes, and working in a secret environment. Bultaco had decided they needed a name to ride and develop there trials bikes.

A Mr SHM was approached I don't know how or by who. But if you know Sam the money would have to be right.

This deal was eventually done, and involved the Rickmans, has by now ,with a growing market for there product, they had quite a pull, and power over the trade.

Anyway in November 16th 1964 Bultaco Concessionaires handed over the importation of the full Bultaco range( including the Kart engines) to Rickman Brothers (Engineering) Ltd.

It was probly down to them then to decide who remained agents for Bultaco in the UK.

And although North Bar Garage had sold Bultaco's before this date ( or tried to)? not many people were intrested in the road going Tralla and I think the one we had in the front window of the shop was there for a couple of years.

North Bar Garage was not one of the chosen out lets for the New Sherpa trials bikes.

Interesting though?trade Politics.

Regards Charlie. :icon_salut: www.bsaotter.com

• Like 1

Thanks Charlie

So Bulto wanted a 'Name' in the Scrambles world AND Rickman frames (hence the Bultaco Metisse)

and, I believe, the early purely Bultaco scrambles frames were influenced by the Metisse design.

And a 'Name' in the trials world, Sam the Man, to launch the Sherpa T.

Sam the Man would work nominally full time for the Rickmans but would become a full time trials rider.

Bultaco would sell lots of machines and engines for Moto-Cross and Karts.

Everyones a winner, except Anelays !!

Am I about right ??---------------- Thought so.

Kind Regards

Sparks

Hi,

By 1966 the Spanish 'wind of change' was definitely felt in the British trials world.

Here is ex-AMC teamster, Mick Andrews, on a Bultaco riding in a Blackmore Vale trial under the slightly disapproving eye of that most professional of journalists, Ralph Venables, in his traditional 'flat'at'.

Corrections thanks to sparks2 - whose help is truly appreciated - my own knowledge of the second Armada was not helped by me living in Paris at the time - courtesy of that 'get in the way' day job thing............

Enjoy.

post-19290-0-53805300-1390119638_thumb.jpg

Edited by laird387

Hi Guy's.

Is that registration DOT289B??? 1964??

Just been reading the Miller story in the November Classic Bike Mag!! 32 mm forks on the early ones?? but not on his.

The story seems to add up to what I have said before.

Regards Charlie. :icon_salut: www.bsaotter.com

Edited by charlie prescott

Hi,

You will need a Spanish member to help answer that one - the only suggestion that I can offer from my personal experience was that trials riding, as we knew it in the United Kingdom was almost unheard of in any of the European countries. I personally was involved in organising the St Cucufa trial in Paris in 1963 and we certainly didn't have any Spanish entries to that. We did have German spectators and the following year they arrived with some highly rideable little 98cc Zundapps.

I do know that the Spanish were very interested in road racing and motocross - I am aware, for example of one entrepreneurial southern dealer who gathered several scrap Bantams from his backyard heap, painted them black and yellow, took off extraneous parts like lights and silencers and got a 'Carnet de Passage' for his 'black and yellow motocross machines' duly Customs stamped out of the UK, across France and into Spain.

After his brief holiday in the sun he returned with his 'black and yellow motocross machines', through all the border controls, all duly stamped by 'Customs'.

Later that week several nice, new Bultaco Matador scramblers were on sale in his showroom, resplendent in their shiny black and yellow paint job.....

Enjoy.

Edited by laird387
  • Like 2

Was there a Bultaco trials bike on sale then in the earlier 60's or any in use in Spain?

Not really, there was the Sherpa N, more a trail bike than a trials bike.

The Sherpa N was developed into the Sherpa T by Anelays, SHM, Dan Shorey and no doubt others

were involved in Britain and Spain.

The Sherpa T was the first Spanish trials machine to be regarded as such in the UK

The colour picture of Tom Ollerton at the '62 SSDT shows a Sherpa N modified and prepared

for trials (as we know one day trials) but only as one off. For instance, I think it's fitted with Norton forks.

But as you can see it wasn't a giant leap to the production Sherpa T a couple of years later.

Regards

Sparks

Edited by sparks2
  • Like 1

Not really, there was the Sherpa N, more a trail bike than a trials bike.

The Sherpa N was developed into the Sherpa T by Anelays, SHM, Dan Shorey and no doubt others

were involved in Britain and Spain.

The Sherpa T was the first Spanish trials machine to be regarded as such in the UK

The colour picture of Tom Ollerton at the '62 SSDT shows a Sherpa N modified and prepared

for trials (as we know one day trials) but only as one off. For instance, I think it's fitted with Norton forks.

But as you can see it wasn't a giant leap to the production Sherpa T a couple of years later.

Regards

Sparks. The forks are standard Sherpa n without the leading axle and of approx 32mm diameter, the leading axle forks arrived quite soon after as fitted to the Sherpa s, mercurio etc and developed in to the 35 mm type as fitted to the matador and Sherpa t. The petite metisse did have norton forks fitted whilst in development but in production had the bultaco / betor units fitted with straight bottoms . The Sherpa t at first did have 32mm forks but only for the first (I think ) 26 units and then changed to the 35mm . Sams 669nho had the small forks fitted in the first press photos but soon had them changed

Hi Guy's

Thanks Sparks .

Saved me the trouble explaining.

I might add though, That the Sherpa ? trials bike that we built up for Dan to ride (with his help ??) I might add, again.

Was not a bike that you would go out and buy.

To be honest it was a gutless wonder, heavy and did not steer, but it was a bike, that he was given to play with. and We the "Royal" did have fun modifying the bike.

Then this bloke named "Sam" came along ,had a ride on the bike, up and down the drive a couple of times, went away with a grin on his face, and changed the "World Of the Trials Motorcycle" for ever.

Happy Days ,PS not bitter a bit.

Regards Charlie :icon_salut: www.bsaotter.com