Early Bultacos

laird387

2stroke4stroke, on 22 May 2014 - 4:52 PM, said:

Ah yes, Paul Jackson. The man who continued to ride a C15, with some very interesting mods including two rear sprockets for the Scottish, well in to the Spanish era. Any photos of that do you think?

I believe Paul Jackson was the last person to ride the SSDT on a Triumph Cub, that bike had two rear sprockets to give a big gear for the long road runs. It also had a frame made by Paul.

The Cub Paul currently rides has a frame he made himself using stainless steel tube, I think he built it oil in frame. As well as the Cub he rides a Velocette which also has a self made frame, someone from the Yorks Classic Club has a similar Velo built by Paul that he usually rides in the Scottish Pre 65.

This thread about the Cubs ridden by Paul in the Six Days highlights the fact that certainly before 1970 Cubs were in use with non Triumph frames.

Edited by trialsrfun
  • Like 1

Hi
Yes, Paul Jackson was and still is developing the cub (not C15).
From memory, the mono shock was a true mono.
To my knowledge, the only C15 he has ridden was borrowed, and that was in recent years.
I think the double sprocket SSDT ride was 1977.
Regards
Sparks

Edited by sparks2
  • Like 1

Hi

Yes, Paul Jackson was and still is developing the cub (not C15).

From memory, the mono shock was a true mono.

To my knowledge, the only C15 he has ridden was borrowed, and that was in recent years.

I think the double sprocket SSDT ride was 1977.

Regards

Sparks

Hi sparks,

We had a monoshock Gold Star scrambler in West Leeds - and I'm going to do a full description one of these days - I'll keep looking through 1977, hope to have increase in my archive shortly from another well known colleague that I worked with years ago.

Deryk

• Like 1

I believe Paul Jackson was the last person to ride the SSDT on a Triumph Cub, that bike had two rear sprockets to give a big gear for the long road runs. It also had a frame made by Paul.

The Cub Paul currently rides has a frame he made himself using stainless steel tube, I think he built it oil in frame. He also rides a Velocette which also has a self made frame, someone from the Yorks Classic Club has a similar Velo built by Paul that he usually rides in the Scottish Pre 65.

This thread about the Cubs ridden by Paul in the Six Days highlights the fact that certainly before 1970 Cubs were in use with non Triumph frames.

Hi

Quite a few of Paul's frames have been successful in Scotland over the years.

The Velo belongs to Chris Haigh. It was built by Chris, using one of Paul Jackson's Ariel frames modified to suit the Velo engine.

Paul produced his first completely self built cub frame about 1970, certainly not earlier than 1969.

Hope this is of interest.

Regards

Sparks

Later Edit:- Paul J produced his first completely self built cub frame in the second half of 1969.

Edited by sparks2
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Another interesting image from Barry Robinson's lost pile - don't know who this Bultaco rider is or where or when. Any clues?

(Bisby says Steve Saunders and 1982?)

Enjoy.

post-19290-0-91433600-1401873161_thumb.jpg

Edited by laird387

Hi,

Another interesting image from Barry Robinson's lost pile - don't know who this Bultaco rider is or where or when. Any clues?

(Thanks to sparks, Alan Lampkin in 1979, possibly his last ride in the Scott?)

Enjoy.

post-19290-0-97393200-1401873372_thumb.jpg

Edited by laird387
  • Like 1