2005 Repsol Erratic Idle Issue. Need Help

velvetpants57

hello all, 

i have two 2005 Montesa 4rt's. one is a Repsol with under 20 hours and the other is a normal 4rt with a 260 kit and a ecu switch. the 260 is my work horse with a ton of hours but runs like a dream and has a domino fast throttle tube.  i purchased both bikes from the original owner. the original owner had played with the throttle cable and taken the tps out of its operating perameter and the bike would not start. so i got it back where it needed to be and it now starts first kick. it unfortunately has an erratic idle that i cannot get rid of. it needed a new throttle cable so i replaced that and installed a new fast throttle tube. i set the tps take up in the throttle cable with the front wheel straight ahead. now when i bring the bike full lock to the left it idles way down and wants to die, when i go to full lock right it idles up to a fast idle. i have the cable routed just like on my 260 and have run out of troubleshooting ideas. i feel like i could fix the issue by slacking off the throttle cable like on a normal non fuel injected bike but with the Tps adjusted off of cable tension that is not an option. 

any input would be greatly appreciated 

thanks

Dallas

Never worked on a mont, but I can tell you that tps take up as you call it is not set with yhr cable.

Ther would normally be a set screw on the throttle body that does that, or the tps itself is rotated for yhe proper base setting.

Cable must have a bit of slack for turning as you noted.

Hi Dallas

The 4rt must have slack in the cable so the butterfly snaps shut. 

Tick over is done with the big screw on the side of the throttle body - just about accessible  through the gap in mudguard /frame etc. I think this is an air screw so out for faster and in slower . Normal comments ref having a correct tick over to aid starting etc.  

If above correct then check no dirt in the in this air passage of the throttle body etc where the adjusting screw operates. 

Screw comes out ok with spring on end then WD 40/Air etc to ensure clean, would do with Throttle body off the bike to stop anything going into engine.

Hope of some use

Recently I came across an intermittent problem on a car (EFI). Mostly it would start first turn of the key and run fine. Sometimes however it had to be cranked quite a bit with a lot of throttle. Sometimes it juddered and stuttered for several seconds after starting. OBD showed no faults and voltages at all components that could be the cause were correct.

Eventually it was found to be a plug in two pin connector inside the chassis (box section part of the monocoque). Water had got into the chassis and caused corrosion on one of the pins. This corrosion was acting as a resistor reducing the flow of current to the fuel pump (and hence low fuel pressure) when voltage was low during idling or starting. Replaced the connector - perfect starting and idling.

Bearing in mind that the Honda ACG / capacitor system produces less than ideal electrical characteristics at low / idle RPM it may be worth checking the electrical connectors, specially those to the fuel pump. look for dirt, looseness, corrosion or fraying wires where they are crimped.

hello all, 

i have two 2005 Montesa 4rt's. one is a Repsol with under 20 hours and the other is a normal 4rt with a 260 kit and a ecu switch. the 260 is my work horse with a ton of hours but runs like a dream and has a domino fast throttle tube.  i purchased both bikes from the original owner. the original owner had played with the throttle cable and taken the tps out of its operating perameter and the bike would not start. so i got it back where it needed to be and it now starts first kick. it unfortunately has an erratic idle that i cannot get rid of. it needed a new throttle cable so i replaced that and installed a new fast throttle tube. i set the tps take up in the throttle cable with the front wheel straight ahead. now when i bring the bike full lock to the left it idles way down and wants to die, when i go to full lock right it idles up to a fast idle. i have the cable routed just like on my 260 and have run out of troubleshooting ideas. i feel like i could fix the issue by slacking off the throttle cable like on a normal non fuel injected bike but with the Tps adjusted off of cable tension that is not an option. 

any input would be greatly appreciated 

thanks

Dallas

Might be a sign of the fuel pump giving up.