Don't want these Ads? Why not sign up as a Trials Central Supporter.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
leosantanalg

Difference between double blip and Zap?

9 posts in this topic

I m novice to the sport with only 10hrs or so on my New Gas gas contact 250.

Could anyone tell me the difference between the double blip and Zap. I have watched several videos of both and seems the exact same technique.

what's the difference?? which one clears higher obstacles?  

Also, as a beginner, I m struggling with the right finger on the front Brake. should I cover it at all times? even during wheelies? I cover the clutch at all times but left hand does not require wrist motion... any tips on that?? Thanks a lot everyone 

Don't want these Ads? Why not sign up as a Trials Central Supporter.

Posted (edited)

First blip lifts the front wheel to the obstacle from the same distance away from the obstacle as its height . Touch the wheel on the obstacle at a point usually 3/4 of its height,at this point both suspenions are compressed a little ,the second blip drives the bike up the obslacle ....back off the throttle a little when the rear wheel reaches the top to keep traction and to drop the front in a controlled manner.

Zap is when you ride towards a step etc slipping the clutch and building sufficient revs to achieve the right result and then at the correct distance away you jam down with a lot of force through the footrests so compressing front and rear suspensions and at that moment release the clutch sharply with a lot of revs on and this catapults you towards the step forward and upward if you have the correct body position on the bike.....it is more complicated than that but that is the gist of it......you need to get Ryan Young's Training videos 1 & 2  and spend hours studying the moves if you want to get to grips with trials techniques....nobody covers them more thoroughly on any other videos they are a 'Must have' if you want to achieve success.

Visit youtube there are some good training videos from Australia.

cover the front brake when you are on the flat or down hills.... if you are going uphill or riding a creek bed then it is not so important to cover it ..just grip the throttle and cover the back brake if it were needed.

Learning to ride on easier going without covering the clutch and front brake can be part of the training....this will help with throttle control ...ride figure of eights on a slight incline and up hills ...when going down hill with the clutch engaged [clutch lever out]blip the throttle now and again to lube the cylinder on a 2t..... using the clutch a lot can get you into trouble and cause you to put your foot down, especially on uphills where you may feel that it  is necessary to use it while turning tightly  this usually stops forward motion[ obviously] unless you are very skilled in its use

Edited by oni nou
2 people like this

Posted (edited)

In the double blip the front wheel is what first contacts the rock, in the zap/splat the rear wheel is what first contacts the rock because the bike is usually launched at the rock at a steeper angle. The double blip is mainly used for obstacles up to 4/6 feet, and usually the splat is whats used to clear a taller obstacle, but it usually depends on the shape and undercut of the rock. As a novice, i dont see you needing to use the zap/splat technique for a good while yet

No, you dont need to always cover the front brake, or the rear, sometimes its just not possible

EDIT: Having since checked out what ryan young is calling a zap, in his terms a double blip and zap are identical. WTF is a jap zap? Confused.com. Call them what you want, but you can either touch the front, or hit the rock first with your rear. 

Edited by faussy
2 people like this

Boy you two should know better. The Jap zap was the original name, but in fairy land it became a zap. A zap is basically a double blip with the clutch included. Nowadays it has included the bridge which is just a stopped zap. The biggest thing with the Jap Zap is you hit the front tire lower than the blip. (This idea has changed through the years to include hitting the front anywhere since suspension has become better.) This compresses the suspension and the clutch is used to utilize the full force of the release. The zap and blip always uses the front wheel on the obstacle first. There is a lot more too it. Check out Ryan Young training videos. Anything that the rear wheel hits first is a splatter or an old fashioned jump.   

The really brief answer is:

- a jap zap and a zap are the original and now PC expression for the same move

- a zap is a double blip with a clutch pop added in

You can add to that all kinds of things mentioned above, like a a stationary zap, etc; 

1 person likes this

Can you clarify where these terms came from; is a 'Jap Zap' something that a Japanese rider did or is it supposed to be Jab Zap as in jab the rock with your wheel then zap up it......I know what a Flapjack is and when to use it and what it does but all the zip zap stuff is out of control, the next thing you know we will be 'Blip Blapping' and Faussy is already perplexed by the 'jibber jabbin.'

1 person likes this

The Jap Zap came along over 25 years ago. At that time new techniques moved through the world pretty damn slow and who knows how many name changes it went through. And yes it was supposed to be developed by Jap riders, which I could see since they ride a lot of man made obstacles. Just like we were amazed by the bunny hop in `74 as the new technique to get over under cut ledges!

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

if you're a novice just try to get all the basics right before moving onwards and upwards, the double blip is all you'll need right now, that should get you up 4 ft no worries. More imprtant is balance and throttle control position on bike and so on. Is your bike 100% perfectly set up does the suspension and brakes work as they should? have the bars and levers been set up etc.

Edited by nigel dabster
2 people like this

Posted (edited)

I get the difference now. Been riding trials for 20 years and never heard of a zap or a jap zap. Guess it must be an american phrase

Edited by faussy
1 person likes this