Don't want these Ads? Why not sign up as a Trials Central Supporter.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
chuck4788

New Dunlop D803GP Tire

13 posts in this topic

I just purchased a new Dunlop D803GP tire (120/100R18) to replace a D803 (4.00R18). I expected a low profile tire but what I got seems to be a higher profile tire than the 4.00R18. It appears narrower and the loaded rolling circumference at 5psi is greater than the 4.00R18 at 10psi. The tire is made in Japan by Sumitomo Rubber Industries Ltd. So I'm now concerned that it may not have better traction.

Anyone have some experience with this tire?

Don't want these Ads? Why not sign up as a Trials Central Supporter.

Posted (edited)

Just now, chuck4788 said:

I just purchased a new Dunlop D803GP tire (120/100R18) to replace a D803 (4.00R18). I expected a low profile tire but what I got seems to be a higher profile tire than the 4.00R18. It appears narrower and the loaded rolling circumference at 5psi is greater than the 4.00R18 at 10psi. The tire is made in Japan by Sumitomo Rubber Industries Ltd. So I'm now concerned that it may not have better traction.

Anyone have some experience with this tire?

The profile is 100 percent a low profile would be something like a 120/60r18

If you check a rule on a 4.00X 18 it actually is 120mm wide not 4" 

Edited by oni nou

I thought all competition tires were made to a standard with regard to overall dimensions and tread pattern, why do you think there is a difference ?

It is unlikely that Dunlop would spend time and money developing a new competition trials tyre that had worse grip than the previous one available unless of course it was developed specially for performing better donuts .

1 person likes this

I have a set of GP's on one of my bikes to try'em out, the other has Michelin lites. I have come to the conclusion that, the GP seems to be working Great and I not being an expert rider by any means find no real noticeable difference...(Experiment with what air pressure works well for you though)..And the GP is almost half the cost of the Michelin which is a nice bonus. Enjoy them and keep your feet on the pegs:thumbup:

Lets hope this becomes a very hot topic...some real competition for Michelin is long overdue.......is Dunlop still the preferred tyre for the SSDT (stays on rim better when punctures arrive). what we all want to know is

how good is it.s grip and feel

how easy to fit

how long does it keep its edges

how much is it

1 person likes this

Great tires. And Great Price compared to Michelins. Run 6psi ft. 4psi rear. 

I still contend in a blind side by side comparison 95% of people could never tell the difference.

D803GP, Love em, lasts way longer than a Michelin. Michelin still works a little better on the real cold snowy day's.

1 person likes this

Where can you get a Dunlop for anywhere near half the price of a Michelin ?

1 person likes this

I purchased mine from Rocky Mtn, included free shipping.

absolute rubbish tyre, I thought they were supposed to hold air, I have a brand new tyre fitted to a new sherco & you cannot run below 6psi, I have tried all the usual tricks . ended up fitting an X lite problem solved.other riders have had the same problem, how can they sell a tubeless tyre that does not hold air,I mean DUNLOP for goodness sake

1 person likes this

I'm using it on a dirt bike with the Tubliss system and it has held air for several days. The X11 on my Monty is still working good. The reason for the new D803GP is the D803 on my XR began leaking air thru the sidewalls from me running it too many miles at very low pressure.  Based on the tire size I expected a low profile tire but ended up with one that is taller than a D803.

Posted (edited)

Having tried Michelin X-Light, X11 Competition (came on '16 Beta Evo 300) and Dunlop D803GP, I've noticed even a worn X11 provides some pretty amazing grip, but doesn't seem to be available option to purchase in USA. I've also used a couple sets of D803GP and when the pressure is properly set for the conditions - feel the Dunlop is just as good as either Michelin model for significantly less money. I watched a video from RYPUSA putting aluminum tape (4 layers) on a Morad rim to get a better seal at the bead and help prevent slow leaks with tubeless rear trials tires. I use generous amounts of "tire slick" tire mounting lube and seem to get a better seal than new tires installed from the (Beta) Factory. having reversed direction of rear tire at 28 hours ride time.

Edited by wheelieman14
1 person likes this